Questions regarding the Light Infantry.

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
Belg
Major
Major

Questions regarding the Light Infantry.

Post by Belg » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:50 am

With regard to the Light Infantries of the Napoleonic era I read in various sources that I could find, that despite being trained to fight in skirmish formation, they were often deployed and fighted in the same way of the Line Infantry.
The French Light Infantry Battalions were different from those of other nations, because they had a structure similar to those of the Line Infantry: they had a company of skirmishers (Voltigeurs) and one of the Carabiniers who corresponded to the Grenadiers of the Line.
The battalions of the Guard instead, if I understand correctly what I read, they had a different structure, as each battalion was entirely made up of companies of the same specialty: only Grenadiers (Old Guard), only Fusiliers (Media Guard), only Voltigeurs (Young Guard). Is it correct?
In other armies, Light Infantry Battalions were similar to those of the French Guard, that is entirely made up of “Light” Companies, then all "skirmishers".
The question is:
When they were engaged in open field, and in close formation, the Light Infantry Battalions were put forward one of their companies to use it as a screen of "skirmishers"? In the specific case of the French, it would be Voltigeurs Company, instead for those of other armies or of the Young Guard, any one Company of the Battalion.
Is it correct?
Or ALL of the “Light” battalion was deploied in skirmish formation to give coverage to the other battalions of the Line Infantry in the same division?
:?:
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Questions regarding the Light Infantry.

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:25 am

The common structure (Textbook) saw a French Infantry Division with 3 Line Regiments and 1 Light Regiment. This wasn't often the case.
If a "Line" Division goes into battle half or 2/3rd of the Light Infantry deploys in Skirmish order along the complete front of the Division to provide skirmish cover for them.
If the "Line" Division did have no Light Infantry in its formations the Voltigeurs of the Line Infantry would provide the Screen.

For the Guard Grenadiers no Skirmish Cover was provides out of their ranks but some times they got it from the Guard Chasseurs.

The Young Guard acted like a combination of Light and Line Infantry as
Tirailleurs(Grenadiers) and Voltigeurs(Chasseurs).

Does this help?
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Belg
Major
Major

Post by Belg » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:11 pm

Friedrich August I. wrote:The common structure (Textbook) saw a French Infantry Division with 3 Line Regiments and 1 Light Regiment. This wasn't often the case.
If a "Line" Division goes into battle half or 2/3rd of the Light Infantry deploys in Skirmish order along the complete front of the Division to provide skirmish cover for them.
If the "Line" Division did have no Light Infantry in its formations the Voltigeurs of the Line Infantry would provide the Screen.

For the Guard Grenadiers no Skirmish Cover was provides out of their ranks but some times they got it from the Guard Chasseurs.

The Young Guard acted like a combination of Light and Line Infantry as
Tirailleurs(Grenadiers) and Voltigeurs(Chasseurs).

Does this help?
Yes, very helpful, thank you very much.
But the question mainly concerns the battalions of Light Infantry.
That is:
the French had a company of Voltigeurs, then I assume that they were the best of the shooters of the battalion.
Is it correct?
The Light Infantry Battalions of the other armies, however, did not have this specific Company. Can I assume that even though they still had a Company of Elite?
That is, in the armies list for this period, I shall do for our wargame "Naran Fuciliers Wars", it is proper that I provide, for the battalions of Light Infantry of ALL armies a bonus for the presence of one company of Elite Sharpshooters? Or the bonus may only given to French ones?
And the French Guard Battalions: all may have the bonus, or the Young Guard Battalion only?
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:37 pm

That is quite some Info you want here :D
Ok, first the french Voltigeurs were mostly smaler men who were thought to be better suited for hunting and such things. I cant say if they were drawn from their battalions and or the depot but possible.

In case of Infantry of Austria and Saxony they had a different approach to "light" Infantry. They used some men from each company, the best sharpshooters, to move in front of their parent Regiment and perform as skirmish screen. They were called Regiments-Schuetzen.
Elite companies were often withdrawn from their Regiments and formed sperate bodies of men. Done so in Austria, Saxony and Prussia by forming from the Grenadiers of the Line Regiments Grenadier Battalions.
The french system of incorporating Elite Companies into Light Battalions was not taken over by other Nations. Neither Austria or Russia nor Prussia had Elite Companies included. I think unil 1809 all of them had learned their lesson to not underestimate the power Skirmishing Infantry.
The French Guards were also one type only. No special companies were in any of the Guard Battalions incorporated. Just Grenadiers, Chasseurs or Tirailleurs.

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Belg
Major
Major

Post by Belg » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:37 pm

Friedrich August I. wrote:That is quite some Info you want here :D
Ok, first the french Voltigeurs were mostly smaler men who were thought to be better suited for hunting and such things. I cant say if they were drawn from their battalions and or the depot but possible.

In case of Infantry of Austria and Saxony they had a different approach to "light" Infantry. They used some men from each company, the best sharpshooters, to move in front of their parent Regiment and perform as skirmish screen. They were called Regiments-Schuetzen.
Elite companies were often withdrawn from their Regiments and formed sperate bodies of men. Done so in Austria, Saxony and Prussia by forming from the Grenadiers of the Line Regiments Grenadier Battalions.
The french system of incorporating Elite Companies into Light Battalions was not taken over by other Nations. Neither Austria or Russia nor Prussia had Elite Companies included. I think unil 1809 all of them had learned their lesson to not underestimate the power Skirmishing Infantry.
The French Guards were also one type only. No special companies were in any of the Guard Battalions incorporated. Just Grenadiers, Chasseurs or Tirailleurs.
Many thanks for your reply, you're really very kind.
But perhaps I have not explained well:
One thing it is the fact that the Light Battalion could stand all in skirmish formation,
another question, which is what I'd like to clarify, is whether when it is lined up in close formation, ie in line or column, such as the Line Battalion, it did advance one of his companies, that is, if he behaved exactly like the Line Battalion, obviously for those armies that had, such as the British.
Who could do it seems to me obvious, but what I'd like to know from some "expert", is if you know who did it.
The French, even in "Light" battalions, had a specific Company called "Voltigeurs" (exactly like those of the Line), then it is likely that behaves in the same way, that they did advance only this company.
The Battalions of the other armies, however, had not specific Company of Skirmishers, being their battalions formed by all companies with the same designation, such as "Jagers" or "Riflemen".
The question then is, as mentioned:
when these battalions stood in line in close formation, did they advancing ONE of their companies to form the screen of skirmishers, as did those of Line?
Let's say a clash between two battalions, both "Light", one French and one English. They are lining up opposite each other. The British are arranged in a line, the French column to go in the assault.
Before they move forward, what do they do?
They advance, both, only ONE of their companies, in skirmish formation, to begin to fire at the enemy, aiming, notably the Officers? Or not?
If the answer is "yes", for the French, the Company will be that of the Voltigeurs, while for the British it will be any one of the 10 forming the battalion.
Well, this is the question that I'd like to clarify.

Many thanks,
cheers,
Sergio
Rod MacArthur

Post by Rod MacArthur » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:18 pm

British tactical practice in the Armies commanded by Wellington in the Peninsula and Waterloo was for skirmish screens to be formed as temporary Brigade Light Battalions, by amalgamating all of the light companies in each brigade (plus the 5/60th or Brunswick Oels rifle company in the Peninsula) whenever the Brigade moved or was likely to fight.

Wellington issued General Orders to this effect in 1808, 1809 (on return to the Peninsula) and 1815.

British skirmish screens were therefore brigade assets, and individual battalions did not deploy their light companies independently.

The only exception was where there was one or more Light Infantry battalions in the brigade, when it was not uncommon for a Light Infantry battalion in its entirety to be deployed as a skirmish screen. Wellington's General Orders do not say this but this is what actually happened in both the Light and 7th Divisions in the Peninsula, and to those brigades which did have Light or Rifle battalions at Waterloo.

No matter which system was used it was British practice (as detailed in their Light Infantry Regulations) for no more than half of the (temporary or permanent) Light Infantry battalion to be deployed into the skirmish screen itself, with the remainder forming supports.

Rod
Belg
Major
Major

Post by Belg » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:11 pm

Rod MacArthur wrote:British tactical practice in the Armies commanded by Wellington in the Peninsula and Waterloo was for skirmish screens to be formed as temporary Brigade Light Battalions, by amalgamating all of the light companies in each brigade (plus the 5/60th or Brunswick Oels rifle company in the Peninsula) whenever the Brigade moved or was likely to fight.

Wellington issued General Orders to this effect in 1808, 1809 (on return to the Peninsula) and 1815.

British skirmish screens were therefore brigade assets, and individual battalions did not deploy their light companies independently.

The only exception was where there was one or more Light Infantry battalions in the brigade, when it was not uncommon for a Light Infantry battalion in its entirety to be deployed as a skirmish screen. Wellington's General Orders do not say this but this is what actually happened in both the Light and 7th Divisions in the Peninsula, and to those brigades which did have Light or Rifle battalions at Waterloo.

No matter which system was used it was British practice (as detailed in their Light Infantry Regulations) for no more than half of the (temporary or permanent) Light Infantry battalion to be deployed into the skirmish screen itself, with the remainder forming supports.

Rod
He Rod,
many thanks for explanations and informations.
So according to you, the tactics of moving forward Skirmishers, for the British, to be understood only in terms of Brigade, rather than a single battalion?
I had found some indications, that they had seemed to me fairly accurate, in the two books published by Osprey:
1 - "Wellington's Peninsular Army"
2 - "The King's German Legion"
I reproduce below the text that pertain to this issue:

1 - page 10 [....] In practice it was rare for the light company to form part of the battle line; its normal task was to screen the front or flank of the battalion or brigade.

2. - page 28 - chapter "TACTICAL INFANTRY FORMATIONS"
[...]
Sharpshooters (a Hannoverian custom) were used in front of the battalion when in action. These sharpshooters were picked marksmen who carried rifles and wore distinguishing items of uniform. (See Colour Plates.)
They consisted of a subaltern, four sergeants, a bugler and fifty-two men per battalion. In action they formed into two detachments on the flanks and to the rear of the main body of the battalion. Sometimes all sharpshooters of a brigade would be collected together under a captain.

So, the rule seems to indicate the battalion and only occasionally the entire brigade.

My doubt, as I said in my previous post, is whether it is to be applied only to the battalions of the Line, or even to those Light, including Fusiliers.

Many thanks,
Cheers,
Sergio
Rod MacArthur

Post by Rod MacArthur » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:57 pm

Sergio,

Ospreys are OK but are no substitute for historical research.

The General Orders issued by Wellington are reproduced below:
-----------
Wellesley lands at Mondego Bay, Portugal – 1 August 1808.

Extract from General Order issued at Lavos on 3 August 1808

The Lieutenant General requests the General officers commanding brigades will, on all occasions of march and formation of the line of their respective brigades, place the light infantry companies belonging to the several regiments under their command in a separate corps under the command of a field-officer. In the ordinary formation on parade, and in route marches, these corps of light infantry will be on the left of the brigade. In formation in front of the enemy they will be in front or in rear, according to the circumstances; and in marches of columns to take up a position, they will be on the reverse flank of the column. The light infantry companies will, however, encamp and do all duties with the regiments.

Wellesley returns to Portugal (Lisbon) – 26 April 1809.

Extract from General Order issued at Coimbra on 4 May 1809

3. The light infantry companies belonging to, and the riflemen attached to each brigade of infantry, are to be formed together, on the left of the brigade, under the command of a Field Officer or Captain of light infantry of the brigade, to be fixed upon by the Officer who commands it. Upon all occasions, in which the brigade may be formed in line, or in column, when the brigade shall be formed for the purpose of opposing an enemy, the light infantry companies and riflemen will be of course in the front, flanks, or rear, according to the circumstances of the ground, and the nature of the operation to be performed. On all other occasions, the light infantry companies are to be considered as attached to their battalions, with which they are to be quartered or encamped, and solely under the command of the Commanding Officer of the battalion to which they belong.

Wellington arrives at Anglo_Allied Headquarters Bussels – 4 April 1815.

Extract from General Order issued at Bruxells on 9 May 1815

1. The light infantry companies belonging to each brigade of infantry, are to act together as a battalion of light infantry, under the command of a field officer or captain, to be selected for the occasion by the General Officer commanding the brigade, upon all occasions on which the brigade may be formed in line or column, whether for a march, or to oppose the enemy.

2. On all other occasions, the light infantry companies are to be considered as attached to their battalions, with which they are to be quartered or encamped, and solely under the command of the commanding officer of the battalion to which they belong.

3. The Commander of the Forces wishes that some of the light infantry battalions of each brigade should be practiced in the manoeuvres of the light infantry, and if possible in firing at a mark.
---------------------

Wellington was in the habit of being obeyed, so this is clearly what happened.

I also have been carrying out research to identify the nominated commanders of these converged light battalions. My research is not complete but so far I have identified:

--------------
Extracts from the Royal Military Calendar concerning Light Battalions in Peninsula

Originally researched 1820 Edition

Volume 1

Wellington's report on Fuentes de Onoro, written at Villa Formosa on 8 May 1811:

Lt Col Williams (60th Regt) commanding light battalion of Maj Gen Picton's 3rd Div.
Maj Dick (42nd Regt) commanding light battalion of Maj Gen Nightingall's Bde.
Maj M'Donnell (92nd Regt) commanding light battalion of Maj Gen Howard's Bde.
Maj Ally (3rd Line Bn KGL) commanding light battalion of KGL Bde.

Wellington's report on Salamanca, written at Flores de Avila on 24 July 1812:

Lt Col Woodford commanding light battalion of Brigade of Guards.

Wellington's report on Vittoria, written at Salvatierra on 22 June 1813:

Lt Col Cadogan commanding light battalion of Maj Gen Walker's Bde.

Volume 4

Col Hepburn (3rd Foot Guards).
He commanded a light battalion composed of the light infantry of the Guards and riflemen of the 60th Regiment, during the whole of the campaign of 1813, and was present in all of the actions in which the Guards were engaged including the battles of Vittoria and Nive,for which he has the honour of wearing a medal and one clasp.

Maj Pearson (23rd Regt).
In October 1810, he embarked for Portugal, and joined Lord Wellington's army in the Lines of Torres Vedras. On the formation of the Fusileer Brigade, under the command of the Hon. Col. Packenham, he was appointed to the command of the light battalion of that Brigade of the 4th Division, and commanded them during Massena's retreat from Portugal. He served at the attack of Badajoz under Marshal Beresford, in 1811, and in the action of Albuera; at the latter part of which, in consequence of the fall of all of his superior officers, he succeeded to the command of the remains of the Fusileer Brigade, in which he continued until the retreat of the army from Almandralejo, when he again resumed command of the light battalion, and continued in the same until the advance of Marshal Marmont to the relief of Ciudad Rodrigo when he received a severe wound.

Lt Col Greenwell (45th Regt).
Wounded in one leg at the battle of Orthes, where he commanded the light troops of the 3rd Division.

Lt Col Dodgin (66th Regt).
He commanded a brigade of light companies in Maj Gen Byng's Division, from 1811 to 1814; and was with it during the action at Arroya de Molinas, 28th Oct 1811, with the advance to and retreat from Madrid and Salamanca in 1812; at the battle of Vittoria for which he obtained a medal, and the brevet of Lt Col; at the actions of the Pyrenees for which he received a clasp; at St Pallas, 15th Feb 1814; at Orthes for which he obtained another clasp; and at Aire, 2nd Mar 1814, where he was severely wounded. Lt Col Dodgin has been engaged with the light companies eleven times, exclusive of the above.

Volume 5

Lt Col Gordon (50th Regt).
He was appointed by Lord Hill to the command of a corps of Light Companies in advance of the right column of the 3rd Division of the army on 1st Oct 1813, which corps he led on entering France the 10th Nov. He commanded this gallant corps of light companies in every skirmish and affair which took place with the enemy from the period of his appointment to his command, up to forcing the enemy's lines at Haspaine, 14th Feb 1814, in which affair he was again severely wounded.

Lt Col Auchmuty (7th Foot).
He commanded some light companies at Orthes & Tolouse.

Maj Lightfoot (45th Regt).
He commanded the light battalion of the right brigade of the 3rd Div in the battle of Vittoria.

Maj Faunce (4th Foot).
On the 3rd April 1811, when in pursuit of the French Army under Massena's, and in dislodging them from the heights before Sabugal, Maj Gen Dunlop appointed Maj Faunce to the command of the light infantry companies of the brigade, and a company of the Brunswick Oels, then acting as a battalion which command he retained until the end of the campaign of 1814. He was present and commanded the light infantry companies of the brigade at the battle of Salamanca, for which he has received a medal.

Maj Mullins (28th Foot).
Received a medal for the battle of Orthes, at which he commanded some light companies.

Capt Carthew (39th Foot).
He proceeded with the army under Marshal Beresford, from the siege of Badajoz to meet the enemy on the plains of Albuera, on which occasion (16 May 1811) he commanded the light infantry companies of the brigade. He received the thanks of the Hon Sir W Stewart in front of his Regiment for his conduct during the action.

Subsequently researched 1815 Edition - new material only

Volume 3

Maj Deane (38th Regt).
He commanded the light troops and advance of the army at the battles of Rolica and Vimiero under the Duke of Wellington; and afterwards served under Sir John Moore in Spain, and during the whole of that campaign commanded the light companies of the Division.

Lt Col & Capt Cotton (3rd Foot Guards).
He...commanded the light infantry at the passage of the Adour.

Lt Col Mitchell (92nd Foot - Gordon Highlanders).
From the attack upon Garis on 15 March (1813) till the close of the campaign in 1814, he commanded the Light Companies of the 1st Brigade of the 2nd Division of the Army.

Extract from "Present State of Portugal and of the Portuguese Army" - Halliday - 1812.

Page 327 - 4th Division light battalion commanders during 1st siege of Badajoz - Majors Pearson & Birmingham [note - Maj Birmingham (27th Foot) killed during that siege].

Page 329 - Fuentes de Oñoro - Light infantry battalions (note plural) of Maj Gen Picton's Division under Lt Col Williams of 60th. Light infantry battalions of Maj Gen Nightingale's and Maj Gen Howard's Brigades under Majors Dick (42nd) and McDonnell (92nd). The light infantry battalion of the King's German Legion under Maj Alley supported this corps.

-----------

I think this is pretty conclusive. Some Wargame rules correctly clearly state that Brigade skirmish screens were the norm (eg General de Brigade DeLuxe Edition) and it is normally possible to replicate such correct tactics with other rule sets.

Rod
Belg
Major
Major

Post by Belg » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:06 pm

Rod MacArthur wrote:Sergio,

Ospreys are OK but are no substitute for historical research.

The General Orders issued by Wellington are reproduced below:
-----------
Wellesley lands at Mondego Bay, Portugal – 1 August 1808.

Extract from General Order issued at Lavos on 3 August 1808

The Lieutenant General requests the General officers commanding brigades will, on all occasions of march and formation of the line of their respective brigades, place the light infantry companies belonging to the several regiments under their command in a separate corps under the command of a field-officer. In the ordinary formation on parade, and in route marches, these corps of light infantry will be on the left of the brigade. In formation in front of the enemy they will be in front or in rear, according to the circumstances; and in marches of columns to take up a position, they will be on the reverse flank of the column. The light infantry companies will, however, encamp and do all duties with the regiments.

[omissis]

-----------

I think this is pretty conclusive. Some Wargame rules correctly clearly state that Brigade skirmish screens were the norm (eg General de Brigade DeLuxe Edition) and it is normally possible to replicate such correct tactics with other rule sets.

Rod
He Rod,
many thanks, I'm really amazed on the accuracy of your search.
It therefore seems to understand that the use of the screen of skirmishers, by the British, it is to be applied to the Brigade, rather than to the individual Battalion.
We'll keep this into account in formulating the rules to apply with our wargame.
Best regards,
Sergio
Rod MacArthur

Post by Rod MacArthur » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:19 pm

Sergio,

Excellent. I think we are gradually seeing an increasing number of Napoleonic Wargames Rules using correct tactics. I have had similar success in discussions with the author of the Black Powder Albion Triumphant supplements.

I feel fairly expert on British tactics (I own copies of all their original regulations, mostly originals). I am less confident on French, Prussian, Russian, Austrian etc, although I do have photocopies of all their regulations as well.

Rod
Belg
Major
Major

Post by Belg » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:05 am

Rod MacArthur wrote:Sergio,

Excellent. I think we are gradually seeing an increasing number of Napoleonic Wargames Rules using correct tactics. I have had similar success in discussions with the author of the Black Powder Albion Triumphant supplements.

I feel fairly expert on British tactics (I own copies of all their original regulations, mostly originals). I am less confident on French, Prussian, Russian, Austrian etc, although I do have photocopies of all their regulations as well.

Rod
He Rod,
I thank you once again for your exquisite courtesy and helpfulness.

Falling in love for the 28mm Front Rank miniatures, in our opinion very beautiful, me and my son Sandro (the infamous "Naran Team Torino"), we tried to adapt the wargame Fantasy Warriors, who know and have been using for a couple of decades, also to the historic battles of the period from the beginning of 1700 to mid-1800.
We have already tested the Regulation - free downloaded from our website - which we have called Naran Fuciliers Wars, with the armies list for the of Spanish Succession War, and tests performed by playing the first battles have given positive results.

In the original FW Regulations, armies are structured on two levels: Commands and Units. For Fuciliers Wars we decided to match the Unit to Battalions, so the Commands, which are groupings of more than one Unit under the command of a General, may represent the Brigades. Obviously this is an inevitable simplification, given the 28 mm scale adopted.
For the Napoleonic period, it was therefore presented the problem of managing the Companies of Skirmishers that were sometimes used as a screen for the battalion or, from what you told me about the British, for the Brigade. The game mechanism does not allow "to disconnect" some miniatures from the Unit-Battalion, so we decided to simulate the fire of Skirmishers giving a bonus to their Unit in terms of number of “Attacks” in the Shooting phase. (4 figures representing the Skirmishers Company with 2D6 instead the normal 1D6 Fire Attack ). Obviously the 4 figures of this company must be paid with an additional cost.
It is then presented to us the problem of how to manage the Units-Battlions of the Light Infantry, since, except the French, the other armies did not have a specific Skirmishers Company (Voltigeurs), but the whole battalion was formed by this specialty.
The same thing also applies to the French Imperial Guard.
Not being able to identify, for these Units-Battalions, the specific 4 miniatures to charge at higher cost, we have to devise a different system, allowing, however, also to these battalions to develop a fire volume equal to or even higher than that of the battalion of Line .

Battalions formed by grouping the Skirmishers companies of the other battalions:
for the Succession Spanish War we had resolved the same problem for the Grenadiers, giving the option not to deploy them in the individual battalions, but to unite them all in one Unit-Battalion of Grenadiers I think that we will adopt the same principle for Skirmishers of the Napoleonic period.

Best regards,
Sergio
MNFS
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by MNFS » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:10 pm

Guys this is a really interesting thread.

A couple of questions: -

1. Light Infantry in standard Line forma ion, would they move faster than standard Line battalions in open, rough or difficult ground?

2. should they get bonuses/minuses when fighting Line infantry in open, rough or difficult ground?

Best,

Mark
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:57 pm

MNFS wrote:Guys this is a really interesting thread.

A couple of questions: -

1. Light Infantry in standard Line forma ion, would they move faster than standard Line battalions in open, rough or difficult ground?

Not very likely as they had no special ability to keep their formation in difficult terrain better then simple Line Infantry.

2. should they get bonuses/minuses when fighting Line infantry in open, rough or difficult ground?

Again, no, because the bonus of the Light Infantry was that they had the ability to fight in loose formations, make good use of the surrounding terrain, like rocks, bushes and trees.
When fighting formed troops in the open they formed skirmish lines and were hard to catch when charged and also hard to hit when hiding behind trees and low bushes while picking Officers out of the attacking ranks.
Same goes for fighting in broken and rough terrain.
If you press Light Infantry into Line or Coloumn they get no bonus at all and you loose their special ability to lure the enemy to attack them.

Best,

Mark

Hope that helps!
Günter

MNFS
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by MNFS » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:47 pm

Thanks Gunter.

Did they deploy from line to skirmish formation and then back again into line in the same battle?

Or once deployed into skirmish line, would they not be formed into a solid body again?

Best,

Mark
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:41 am

MNFS wrote:Thanks Gunter.

Did they deploy from line to skirmish formation and then back again into line in the same battle?

When keeping this as a generic question then the answer would be no. If you like to see it from the point of view for different nations it could be a possible solution. Most battles have not been a matter of a few hours but lasted 6 to 12 or more hours. So it may have been necessary to withdraw skirmishing light Infantry to reform and rest while formed up in coloums or lines. In their role to start a Infantry engagement they would be kept in place as long as the enemy was there and not beaten. In case of armies formed after the french system those battalions or even regiments would have deployed from coloums instead of lines as this was the more easely to perform formation than the line. What nations like England would have used or done I cant say but it may be possible that they used the line as the formations from which they deployed their skirmishing Infantry and form back again but I doubt it.

Or once deployed into skirmish line, would they not be formed into a solid body again?

I think this would depend on the ongoing battle. If they wont be needed any longer as a screen in front of their own troops they could be drawn back into formation and be used elsewhere to fight as skirmishers again or even as formed troops like Line Infantry. Normaly skirmishing Troops need some type of rally point in the rear of them. That would have been done by small groups of formed Light Infantry may in Line or Company Coloum. They main role of such a body was to have center points where the skirmishing Infantry could replenish their ammo, get rest, replacements or shelter when beeing charged or driven back. If the enemy does not press on they would have reformed there, dressed their lines, take a body count, and after some time deploy again.

Best,

Mark
Hope that helps one way or the other! :wink:

Cheers,
Günter