Vistula Legion

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
PETE fILBY

Vistula Legion

Post by PETE fILBY » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:35 am

I am new to the hobby, Ihave just recieved Polish Vistula Legion from Warlord .The question I have is, do all companies wear Polish headgear or just Grenadier and voltigures.
Tercha

Re: Vistula Legion

Post by Tercha » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:29 pm

Grenadiers would wear a bearskin
all others would wear a czapska
good pictures here:
http://murawskiminiatures.com/
line drawings
custosarmorum
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by custosarmorum » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:23 pm

While Duchy of Warsaw line regiment grenadiers wore bearskins, I believe that the Vistula Legion grenadiers wore French shakos with Polish plates until 1813 at which point they wore the czapka.

Also Murawski Miniatures is coming out with a line of Vistula Legion troops to go with their lovely Duchy of Warsaw troops. The Vistula Legion are on Roger's blog: http://rtbatlarge.blogspot.co.uk/.
Emir of Askaristan
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Emir of Askaristan » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:08 am

I took a deeper look at these when I bought a box. Warlord claim they used information from the curator of a military museum in Poland and that the Vistula Legion were equipped with mainly French kit, rather than Polish and so differed from the Duchy of Warsaw (see above post) in that respect.

The box is a re-issue of Warlord's "mid" French with extra Polish heads. So there's compromise built in when you buy them.

For the Vistula Legion, headgear is the shako for centre coy and voltigeurs with czapka or shako for grenadiers according to the Histofig pic below for 1810-13. Histofig shows sunburst shako plates but the other two show the diamond shaped French plate.

All the Best

The Emir
PETE fILBY

Post by PETE fILBY » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:24 am

Thank you for the information.It is very helpful. I think I will be trying for a Polish division with cavalry and artillery support. thanks again.
custosarmorum
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by custosarmorum » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:17 am

I would heartily recommend the Murawski Miniatures Poles if you are planning to expand on what you have -- they are very nice.