Musicians of the British 1st Guards Regiment

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
Belg
Major
Major

Musicians of the British 1st Guards Regiment

Post by Belg » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:05 pm

Hello,
I started painting one of the "battalion pack" of the Front Rank miniatures of British Infantry, with the intention of representing the 1st Guards Regiment at Waterloo.
I arose a doubt about the color of the uniform of the Musicians.
From the information I have found in the books in my possession, I read that the color of the Musicians coat was that of the distinctive color of the Regiment, with the red collar and cuffs.
Regarding the 1st Guards Regiment, however, I found these two images, in which the jacket instead of the musician is the same as that of the other men, namely red, with a collar and cuffs, I think, blue or white with blue border.
In your opinion is it correct? Regiments of the Guard did not follow the general rule, their musicians had a special uniform than that of Musicians of the other regiments?
The distinctive color of the Regiment, namely that of the collar and cuffs, should be blue, but, instead, that of the flag is red, and this is a variant compared to the other regiments, in which the color of the flag is the same as that of the collar and cuffs.. And 'perhaps for this reason that even the musicians had the red jacket?
Those reproduced in the two designs are therefore correct?
Thank you very much.
greetings

http://www.1789-1815.com/images/Planches/W04_50.gif

http://centjours.mont-saint-jean.com/un ... 7&nation=1
Rod MacArthur

Re: Musicians of the British 1st Guards Regiment

Post by Rod MacArthur » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:40 pm

Beig,

The sources you show are correct. The Foot Guards drummers wore scarlet (red) jackets with the inverted chevron lace on the sleeves (they still do).

Foot Guards colours (flags) are different to those of British Regiments of Foot. For the Foot Guards the King's Colour (modern Queen's Colour) carried by each battalion is crimson whilst the Regimental (battalion) Colour is a Union Flag. During the Napoleonic Wars each Foot Guards company had its own Colour (basically all Union Flags with different badges in the centre), and one of these would be selected to be carried by each battalion. This makes it very difficult to determine exactly which Company. Colour was carried by which Foot Guards battalion at any one time during the Napoleonic Wars. For more detail on this see either the Osprey on Flags (I think British flags are in volume 2) or Keith Over's book on Napoleonic Flags.

Since the King's Colour is always on the right, Foot Guards appear different to other battalions, since Regiments of Foot have their Union Flag on the right, but the Foot Guards have their's on the left.

You should also note that Foot Guards flank companies have blue wings, unlike Regiments of Foot with red wings.

The Foot Guards, then and now, are a law unto themselves, and often do not conform to the standard pattern of other British Regiments. They consider that, as the Sovereign's personal troops, they can do things differently if they chose to do so, and still have the right to appeal directly to the Sovereign if they feel that the Government or Army hierarchy is telling them to do something they are not happy with.

Rod
Belg
Major
Major

Re: Musicians of the British 1st Guards Regiment

Post by Belg » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:40 pm

Rod MacArthur wrote:Beig,

The sources you show are correct. The Foot Guards drummers wore scarlet (red) jackets with the inverted chevron lace on the sleeves (they still do).

Foot Guards colours (flags) are different to those of British Regiments of Foot. For the Foot Guards the King's Colour (modern Queen's Colour) carried by each battalion is crimson whilst the Regimental (battalion) Colour is a Union Flag. During the Napoleonic Wars each Foot Guards company had its own Colour (basically all Union Flags with different badges in the centre), and one of these would be selected to be carried by each battalion. This makes it very difficult to determine exactly which Company. Colour was carried by which Foot Guards battalion at any one time during the Napoleonic Wars. For more detail on this see either the Osprey on Flags (I think British flags are in volume 2) or Keith Over's book on Napoleonic Flags.

Since the King's Colour is always on the right, Foot Guards appear different to other battalions, since Regiments of Foot have their Union Flag on the right, but the Foot Guards have their's on the left.

You should also note that Foot Guards flank companies have blue wings, unlike Regiments of Foot with red wings.

The Foot Guards, then and now, are a law unto themselves, and often do not conform to the standard pattern of other British Regiments. They consider that, as the Sovereign's personal troops, they can do things differently if they chose to do so, and still have the right to appeal directly to the Sovereign if they feel that the Government or Army hierarchy is telling them to do something they are not happy with.

Rod
Hi Rod,
many thanks for your enlightening and comprehensive explanation. You've been really kind.
Then I will follow with confidence the signs of the two images to paint my drummers.
A good summer vacation.
Sincerely
Sergio