REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE

Post by barr7430 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:07 pm

A recent game at DTS using the fine Napoleonic collections of John Hill II and Peter McCarroll allowed me to run out my Republic to Empire rules in advance of the Waterloo epic slated for November.

This was indeed a useful exercise because I was able to identify many areas for fine tuning which have been rectified during a business trip away this week(these work trips are sometimes very useful). The rules are totally revamped and new play sheets written.

Thanks Paul Mc :wink: for some very useful suggestions which I have incorporated>

New rules on

Artillery,
Cavalry charges
Infantry & cavalry melees
Skirmishers

B
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:20 am

And when will they be available?

Chomping at the bit - 18th Century Guy
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:55 pm

Greg nice to see you are interested :D

Actually, Clarence and I have been collaborating on a much 'fancified' version of ULB which was kind of a test run for what I hope to do with the Napoleonic rules. I decided not to distribute the Nap rules as a freebie as a little but of a counter-weight to all the work that has gone into both sets so far. When we finally get the visual format right with diagrams, pictures etc then we'll make both sets available through the site probably at a reasonably nominal charge. We are trying to pack in as much value add as possible but that takes time in between work, family, painting, gaming, breakdowns etc. I'll put up a sample from the playsheet in the warchest soon so that people can actually see something IS happening 8) :wink:

Henry Ford
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:20 am

I haven't had a breakdown all week...
:D
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:22 am

Try one Clarence! :D You'll get lots of sympathy! :wink:

Henry Ford
big-gazza
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Location: Married with Children........in Strathaven, Scotland.

Post by big-gazza » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:47 pm

Hi,
have to say it was a great game to watch. Looked great with 2 well painted armys. Makes me tempted to take the dive into this period. Also essex do some army packs of 150 figures for £109.

Hmmmm........must..........finish..........WWII...........figures..............first............

Gazza the magpie.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:15 pm

Gary you are truly developing Wargamer tendencies... Magpie syndrome is an endemic condition amongst wargamers didn't you know that? :roll:

Henry Ford
big-gazza
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Location: Married with Children........in Strathaven, Scotland.

Post by big-gazza » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:04 pm

Hi,
well its got a lot worse since I met you. Must be catchy.

So many figures, so little time.

Gary
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:35 am

Barry,

I'm more then willing to pay for a set of rules so I can use my French Revolutionary figures. It gives me something to paint for but I understand the priorities in life. It's just that our families never understand :wink:

18th Century Guy
aka Greg
pabblo41
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Republic to Empire

Post by pabblo41 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:51 pm

Hi Barry

A few questions, your Waterloo game has revitalised my interest in Napelonics (bit like Viageria :lol: )

What figure/man ratio do you use? it looks like from the Waterloo pictures a ration of 1 to 25, and 1 gun model = 2 real guns?(Similar to Grand Mannor used at the wargames Holiday Centre).

Also what is the basing size, and can they be converted to 15/18mm. (is it similat to ULB), and do you have a set available to e-mail/download.

thanks

Pabblo41 :)
Pabblo41
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:38 am

We generally worked on a ratio of 1:20 and then halved again the number of battalions needed per brigade. Battalion size was generally 24 figures , cavalry squadrons 6 or 8, and artillery batteries of between 2 - 4 guns depending upon nation. That gave us an Allied army of approximately 1240 infantry, 328 cavalry figures, and 42 guns. Given that this was the largest table we have played on it we would have struggled to get more figures on the table without restricting their movement unrealistically.

The figures used were from a combination of players. We all base slightly differently but it made no difference to the game as Barry's rules are not pedantic about this point. I'm a convert to Litko bases and base all of my infantry 6 to a 60mm x 40mm base with four/ six bases per battalion. Cavalry are mounted 2 to a 50mm x 50mm base. I like to base my artillery on large bases so they are one gun and crew on an 80mm x 80mm base.

Peter
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
pabblo41
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE

Post by pabblo41 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:54 am

Hi Peter

Thanks for the info. Does the basing sizes conform to many standard (i.e. commercial) sets of rules?

Thanks

Pabblo41 :)
Pabblo41
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:15 am

I have just finished a pretty detailed article on the Waterloo game for one of the mags - hope it will be published in the near future :D

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:09 am

Pabblo,

base sizes are immaterial as the firing is done in 'stands' 6, 8 or 10 figures. FFundamentally the principles are similar to ULB but there is a much higher level of detail particularly with regard to formations, manoeuvre and combat.

B

Henry Ford