Napoleonic 95th Rifles (Perry 28mm)

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

Napoleonic 95th Rifles (Perry 28mm)

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:47 am

So here are some shots of my latest efforts, the 95th Regiment of Foot (Rifles) painted for the 100 days campaign:

http://dhcwargamesblog.wordpress.com/20 ... e-entry-6/

Before anyone asks... all the backpack numbers are freehand!

Enjoy,

Burkhard

And the usual pre-view (more clickable pictures on the blog as always):

janner
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Napoleonic 95th Rifles (Perry 28mm)

Post by janner » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:59 am

Fine work :D
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:12 am

THX Janner!
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:04 pm

Superb work Burkhard!
Very nice paint job and lovely matching of figures to produce interesting vignettes.
Cheers
Dave
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:48 pm

THX Dave!

Believe it or not... Creating these vignettes was not so easy. Discounting the command minis I was working with only 7 different minis and it was hard to get them arranged in a way that the scenes made sense and yet did not repeat themselves.
Belg
Major
Major

Post by Belg » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:21 pm

14th Brooklyn wrote:So here are some shots of my latest efforts, the 95th Regiment of Foot (Rifles) painted for the 100 days campaign:

http://dhcwargamesblog.wordpress.com/20 ... e-entry-6/

Before anyone asks... all the backpack numbers are freehand!

Enjoy,

Burkhard

And the usual pre-view (more clickable pictures on the blog as always):

Hello,
congratulations, well painted.
Me also, I'm painting Front Rank miniatures of the Fusiliers of the 95th, but I had a doubt about the color of their trousers, green or gray?
In the table dedicated to the 95th, at the site "Les Uniformes pendat the campaigns des Cents Jours - Belgique 1815" :

http://centjours.mont-saint-jean.com/un ... 3&nation=1

as you can see, both colors are shown, however, the drawings would seem that the color green was used for the trousers tucked into the boots, while those brought above the color were gray.
My Front Rank miniatures have the pants over the boots, then according to the information in the table above, they should be gray. Is it correct?

I found that in some plates found in the Net, the trousers are green while in others they are grey.
In the images in the net I found both colors in some of the pants are green, the other is gray.

What do you think?
Green or gray as those of the Infantry?

Here are some examples

http://www.95th-rifles.co.uk/files/4513 ... Banner.JPG[/img]

Many thanks for Your help.
Bye,
Sergio
Belg
Major
Major

Post by Belg » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:27 pm

And to further confuse the ideas in this photo of Reenactors, one has gray trousers, while others have green!

:shock:
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:54 pm

I seem to remember reading somewhere, that they wore green trousers during the 100 days. But I can not remember where. I thought it was Franklin, but he only has info regarding the officers pantaloons. So I am not sure, might have been Adkins book.
Bottom line is, I painted them green, with the exception of two or three to have a little more diversity.

One more thing. The Mont Saint Jean site is nice and sure a huge effort, but unfortunately it is at times wrong, since he often just used copy and paste for units. And at times it differs from any other source. So I would always try to verify the info before painting minis accordingly. If you have a lot of British units I would advise the Franklin book. It is the bible on British Napoleonic uniforms.

Cheers,

Burkhard
Belg
Major
Major

Post by Belg » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:21 am

14th Brooklyn wrote:I seem to remember reading somewhere, that they wore green trousers during the 100 days. But I can not remember where. I thought it was Franklin, but he only has info regarding the officers pantaloons. So I am not sure, might have been Adkins book.
Bottom line is, I painted them green, with the exception of two or three to have a little more diversity.

One more thing. The Mont Saint Jean site is nice and sure a huge effort, but unfortunately it is at times wrong, since he often just used copy and paste for units. And at times it differs from any other source. So I would always try to verify the info before painting minis accordingly. If you have a lot of British units I would advise the Franklin book. It is the bible on British Napoleonic uniforms.

Cheers,

Burkhard
He Burkhard "14th Brooklyn",
many thanks for your reply and information.
I have in-depth research in the books I have available, and I found that the confusion between green and gray trousers can be derived from the fact that they had gray ones the men of the King's German Legion, as I found in the book of Osprey (The King's German Legion - Men -At-Arms Series) dedicated to this unit who also fought at Waterloo (picture C2 - Officer, 1st Battalion Light and picture D1, Riflemen, 2nd Light Battalion).
Instead, in the Osprey book dedicated to the army of Wellington (Wellington's Peninsular Army - Men-At-Arms Series) the Rifleman of 95th has green trousers (picture C1, Riflemen, 95th Foot - The Rifle Brigade).
The same color green is reported by Ugo Pericoli in his book on Waterloo (1815 The Armies at Waterloo): table 118 - 95th (Rifles) - Officer and Private Riflemen.
I therefore agree with you to give the green color to the trousers of my Front Rank Riflemen of the 95th.
Sincerely

Sergio
janner
Colonel
Colonel

Post by janner » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:21 am

The uniform for 95th was green trousers, but these were routinely replaced on campaign by grey (or even brown) overalls.

As an aside, rifle green is very dark and the 19th century dyes were prone to getting even darker when exposed to harsh sunlight. Burkhard has captured this very nicely, but the green in some of the illustrations is way too light.
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:28 am

Sergio, glad I could be of a little help! And I agree, the fact that many of the KGL battalions actually wore green and were fighting in close proximity seems to confuse some historians! The likeness of uniforms has something positive as well. I was having problems finding pictures of some of the small uniform items (like the powder horns) for the 95th. Strangely enough one can find a good number for the KGL though! ;)

Janner: glad you like the shade of green! I am really happy with it and I shall probably go down the same route for my Russians.
Belg
Major
Major

Post by Belg » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:41 am

He Janner, Burkhard "14th Brooklyn",
I thank both of you for your contributions in the discussion.
Obviously, on the uniforms of that era , and even more on those of previous eras , the informations are often contradictory , which makes it a little "difficult life" for us modellers - wargamers .
Eventually, I came to the conclusion that to "someone" we must believe and then reference to them. In this sense I have therefore decided to follow the information I found in the books of Osprey and Ugo Pericoli, who , for once , are the same, so I decided to paint green the trousers of my Riflemen of the 95th.
With regard to the observation made by Janner on the pitch rather "dark" I follow (from many years!) the rule that I had found, and that is that as miniatures and / or models are small compared to real ones, it should give to them a shade of color more "clear."
For my 95th Rifles I chose the color of Humbrol Matt 76 .
Regards to all.
Bye,
Sergio