A question about the Hussars uniform

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
Belg
Major
Major

A question about the Hussars uniform

Post by Belg » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:44 pm

Hello,
I started painting my first unit of the British Horse Artillery, and it arose in me a doubt about the color of the cords of the tunic for Officers.
These Gunners had the same Hussar's jacket, with the cords on his chest. For the Troopers the color of the cords was yellow.
The question is:
also the Officers had the yellow cords or their cords were gold?

The question of course also affects Hussars (of the different armies): Officers had the cords of gold or silver, respectively, in place of the yellow or white of the Troopers?
In the pictures that I have found (for example, those in the book of Ugo Pericoli relating to Waterloo), the difference in color between officers and troopers it is not in evidence. However, it may be due to the print of the drawing, where gold is the same as the yellow and silver looks like white.

What do you think? Someone could provide any information on this? Thank you very much.
Bye,
Sergio
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: A question about the Hussars uniform

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:23 pm

Hi Sergio,

IMHO it is so that Officers show their rank by having treads and lace in a more exquisite style than common troopers. So while the gunner or Hussar has white or yellow treads and laces the Officer has the same style but Silver or Gold treads and laces. In terms of Hussars this goes more complicated the higher the rank of these Officers are.

Here is a picture of my Saxon Hussars. The Officer in front is the Colonnel of the Regiment is covered in silver while the trooper to the left has most of his treads and laces in white.

Hope that helps,

Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Belg
Major
Major

Re: A question about the Hussars uniform

Post by Belg » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:48 pm

Friedrich August I. wrote:Hi Sergio,

IMHO it is so that Officers show their rank by having treads and lace in a more exquisite style than common troopers. So while the gunner or Hussar has white or yellow treads and laces the Officer has the same style but Silver or Gold treads and laces. In terms of Hussars this goes more complicated the higher the rank of these Officers are.

Here is a picture of my Saxon Hussars. The Officer in front is the Colonnel of the Regiment ind is covered in silver while the trooper to the left has most of his treads and laces in white.
[omissis]

Hope that helps,

Günter
He Günter,
many thanks for your very ready answer.
You're always very kind.
Although it seemed logical to me, on the basis of what I had read about the uniforms of the Spanish Succession War, but did not find anything for the Napoleonic period, I had risen doubt, now that You has dispelled, so even if it was for that period.
Thanks again and best regards.
Sergio