Village Green Ships - Late Seventeenth Century?

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Anonymous

Village Green Ships - Late Seventeenth Century?

Post by Anonymous » Sat May 06, 2006 12:04 pm

Gentlemen

I was looking through the Stronghold Miniatures website the other evening and saw that they offer the old Village Green range of ships and boats. They seems to be pretty reasonably priced, but i don't remember ever seeing them at one of the shows. I was wondering whether anyone has anyone used these (or any other resin ships) for the late seventeenth century, and if so how you found them?

Many thanks in advance.

Adam
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat May 06, 2006 1:22 pm

Adam,

yes I've got some of their stuff(I think) I am almost sure that the 'Dutchman' featured in LoGW Napoleonic game gallery is a Village Green model (I originally painted it for Pirate games in the late 17th century - it's in some old Wargames Illustrateds and also if you click into the cover shots section of the Gallery you'll see it in a 'take off' scenario of the Dutch Medway operations from the 1670s which we shifted to 1688 as part of the Glorious Revolution). I also have a longboat(which I'll photograph and stick up on the site for you to see) :D

Village Green's stuff was generally very good quality in my experience
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat May 06, 2006 1:53 pm

Colin also has one of the Village Green (now Stronghold) ships. You can see it in the big E pic of our Bastille game, it's on the left of the pic disembarking troops.

Cheers
Dave
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat May 06, 2006 6:55 pm

Barry, David,

Very many thanks for your replies. I can't think why I missed the shots of the boats from the Bastille day Game before! The ships and long boats seem perfect for what I was looking for - a couple of naval landings/ river crossings at a club game. If you get the chance to post a pic of the longboat, Barry, that'd be wonderful. There seems to be a Village Green/ Stronghold longboat crew for the ECW and one for the Seven Years War. I think it might be easiest to convert the SYW crew for the 1690s than the other way round- any views Gentlemen?

Adam

PS: Barry, it's all your fault following your posting images of German WWII 25mm assault boats crossing rivers - it just got me thnking of doing the same in a different period! :D
marslatour

Post by marslatour » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:15 pm

Barry, those "German" ww2 assault boats may not be what they seem.... :wink: