Spanish Succession amphibious landings!

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Anonymous

Spanish Succession amphibious landings!

Post by Anonymous » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:31 am

Hi all,

This is probably old news to everyone but me! Nonetheless I was excited to finally track down some information on WSS marines - or more accurately, the 'Six Regiments of Marines and Six Regiments for Sea Service' created by order of Queen Anne in 1702.

The Stadden prints I've seen suggest that Grenadier/Fusilier figures would be reasonable stand-ins for these tough fellows (unless you're a uniform purist!)

One of their most exciting engagements in the WSS was the capture, predominantly by Marines, of Gibraltar in 1704. Whilst building the Rock itself is a bit ambitious for me (but would make an awesome demo game), the - bones of the action - storming gun batteries, turning the cannon on their erstwhile owners then standing fast against the Franco-Spanish counterattack - would make a great scenario and might just be a little more exotic than the 'mainstream' Marlburian field engagements.

Just a thought! If I ever get this off the ground - I'm a martyr to tangents - I'll send in a battle report.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:00 am

Damn the pedants Ad! Use what you like! There was also an abortive amphibious assault by British Marines on the French Coast, did you know about that one?
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Anonymous

WSS amphibious

Post by Anonymous » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:20 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, Barry. As for purists/pedants, a friend of mine believes that the best response to the "I think you'll find that the buckles on those 6mm Hittites are the wrong colour" brigade is physical violence - which naturally I don't condone but have a sneaking sympathy with:)

No, I haven't heard about the abortive raid on the French coast. Sounds intriguing - any chance of details/suggested reading? I remember an article in WI a while back with a battalion of Brits holding a beach against counter-attacking French, the trick being to mount a robust defence at the same time as disengaging and getting back on the waiting ships! Not sure what war that was in - definitely eighteenth century - I do remember a contemporary quote that the raiding policy, being both expensive and ineffectual, was like breaking windows with gold sovereigns. (Politicians had a way with words back then!)

Post by Guest » Sat May 06, 2006 11:36 am

Ad

I kept meaning to reply to your earlier posting, but work kept getting in the way!! There's some great potential for wargames lurking in the amphibious operations of the late seventeenth century as well as the WSS. Some of them are quite well documented, although some of the sources are a bit obscure. Others are a bit less familiar. I've listed them below in the thought that you may find them of interest. I've added the titles of the books I found helpful in case it's of use. I wish I could claim to have gamed them all, but I keep getting distracted!

1667 - not really an amphibious operation as such but the well known Dutch attack on the English port facilities along the Thames Estuary and River Medway. Dutch forces attacked Sheerness fort from the land and sea, and then pressed their attack onwards up the Medway. There's plenty of colour in this scrap, with the Dutch land forces being led by a shadowy English republican renegade called Thomas Dolman, increasingly desperate attempts by the English to defend their fleet riding at anchor, some superb seamanship by the Dutch in spiriting away one the of English "Great Ships" and quite a few amusing incidents. There are a number of general histories of the action, but I thought that "The Dutch in the Medway" by PG Rogers (1970) was terrific and I think it can sometimes be picked up on the rare books sites on the net for about £20.

1673 - in the Third Dutch War, the English planned a landing against the Zeeland coast, aiming to link up with predominantly French cavalry forces. The "invasion" was a disaster and got no further than great Yarmouth, with newly raised English regiments spending a summer "buried in sloth and a superfluity of food" (and no doubt drink). So why mention it? Well, the main "English" commanders were an aging Prince Rupert of Civil War fame and Graf von Schomberg, later to fall at the Boyne. Apparently, Rupert and Schomberg did little else than argue between them about the arrangements, despite them both being Pfalz Germans! I thought it would make a splendid game, with English colliers ferrying Sea-sick raw troops across the North Sea to be met by Dutch militia and regulars, with the English hoping the French cavalry will get there in time from Flanders and Antwerp. Details area bit obscure of this actions. I'd love to know more, but the details above are mostly from "The Anglo-Dutch Wars of the Seventeenth Century" by J R Jones.

1690 - the Earl of Marlborough's (as he then was) landing at Cork in the Nine Years War. A successful combined operation in which the Earl led an 82 ship expedition against the Jacobite forces in the town. Plenty of colour with English soldiers and marines coming ashore, and trying to meet up with Dutch, Danish and Huguenot troops on the landward side of Cork, Marlborough arguing with the Duke of Wurttemberg about command of the allied troops, close assaults by English converged grenadiers and fierce defending from the Jacobite troops – what more can one ask for? There's good descriptions in Churchill's "Life of Marlborough", "Jacobite Ireland" by JG Simms and some maps in the short little book "The Boyne and Aughrim" by J Kinross (1997).

1694 – English forces landing in Camaret Bay in Brittany in the teeth of enemy fire and participating in one of the great British amphibious disasters of all time! The English struggled to get off the beach and quite a proportion of the English boats did not even land. Despite the presence of Lord John Cutts, the "Salamander", the English casualties were heavy and their, Thomas Tollemache, was mortally wounded. None of which was that surprising considering that the longboats making the landing were of different drafts, the English did hardly any reconnaissance and the tides were against a landing in the first place. There's a great description of the chaos in John Childs' "British Army of William III" (1989). Oh, and add to that the fact that one of the English commanders was Goodwin Wharton. Who he? Goodwin Wharton appears to be the oddest Williamite general of them all – outwardly a respected politician and soldier, but, at the same time, a total nutcase who believed in alchemy, the existence of a fairy kingdom and who sought angelic guidance on various (government financed) treasure seeking expeditions in the Scottish islands. :shock: If you don't believe me, try and get a copy of "Goodwin Wharton" by J.Kent Clark (1984), which is Goodwin's biography. And with all that going on, it would seem to be a wargame when the English can't possibly do any worse then they did in 1694!

Hope you found this of interest, Ad. Now, where are those longboats?

Adam
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat May 06, 2006 1:16 pm

Adam, what a TOP POST!!!!!

I'm sitting here thinking, right!.... to the LoA collection for an outing(I've just finished building a river this weekend for my WW2 28mm games and it's wide enough to be an estuary so.....)

Ad... Camaret Bay was the landing I was thinking of when I first responded to your post(thanx Adam).

I love the story about Wharton the Alchemist.. you couldn't make that stuff up

Cheers

B
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat May 06, 2006 2:16 pm

If I remember correctly there were also the allied landings at Vigo 1702 to attempt the capture of Cadiz. There was a mixed Anglo/Dutch force which had to initially fight it's way ashore.

Cheers
Dave
marslatour

Post by marslatour » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:30 pm

Just bought a Naval book today full of prints of mainly Napoleonic Naval Ships, but with one print applicable to this period is a painting of the Battle of Terschelling, 1666 where British fireships along with longboats filled with grenadiers/soldiers of The Duke of York and Albany's reg. of foot along with sailors, destroying a fleet of Dutch Merchant Men in harbour. It appears this raid was partly resposible for the Thames raid the following year.
In another book called Marine Art there is picture by Pat Jobson of the "Mountjoy breaks the Boom at Londonderry" which is crying out to be gamed as it shows troops/cannon on both sides of the estuary firing at the Montjoy as it goes through the boom! :idea: :lol: