Augsburg

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
lenin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Augsburg

Post by lenin » Sat May 14, 2005 11:09 pm

:mrgreen: Hi Barry,
I find myself strangely drawn to your Augsburg figures in the gallery, given the fact that you are an extremely busy person (good creep, eh). :lol: I and no doubt many others would be pleased to see you post a 'How I Paint my Figures' site. As there are doubtless many out there who are starting this business from fresh, as well as the more experienced who can always use some new ideas. Whilst I'm on the subject, bases might be a good idea too.
:wink:
Cheers, Andy
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon May 16, 2005 9:40 pm

Hi Lenin,

Yes of course I can do a `how I paint my figures' type guide and will try and do so before too long. Basing also.

I suspect many of my techniques are no different from those used by other painters but I am happy to share them.

I am primarily a wargamer and this has in many ways conditioned the way I paint figures. I like to try and achieve the best possible result but NOT at the expense of speed and the construction of my main objective at any given time which is usually the completion of a force or army.

This leads me into certain compromise situations. Yes I could take 3 or 4 hours per figure and produce higher quality work than I do now but the pleasure I derive from this is less than the pleasure of playing a game, talking about the historical outcome and what ifs etc.

I think that is the biggest differentiating point between so called `pro painters' and the likes of me. Many Pro Painters do not have large collections mainly because they sell their work as they complete it. Alternatively they will finish and display small quantities of extremely high quality work which build a reputation for them. Nothing wrong with that but a different approach from the one I have adopted.

The most interesting (and frustrating point perhaps) is that when you place a very well painted unit amidst large numbers of adequately painted units it does not necessarily stand out! The others usually do!!

Enough already of this introspection :roll: . Painting guides forthcoming.. :wink:

All the best :D

Barry
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Theo Raykoske
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Theo Raykoske » Fri May 20, 2005 7:05 pm

I found Peter Fitzgerald's article in the new Spanish mag a good guide. He talks about the rise of the perfect figure and promotes the painting of good wargames figures. Worth a look just to read that bit.
Theo
lenin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by lenin » Fri May 20, 2005 9:46 pm

Hi Theo,
Just read your message about the article in 'the Spanish mag'. I don't know which one you mean, hopefully you can enlighten me further.
:?
Cheers, Andy.
Theo Raykoske
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Theo Raykoske » Sat May 21, 2005 9:59 pm

Andy,
I will checkout which number but the mag is "Wargames, Soldiers and Strategy".
Theo
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

wargames soldiers and strategy mag

Post by j1mwallace » Mon May 23, 2005 12:18 am

I'd second that about the painting guides.#7 has a good article on painting horses. #5 has an excellent article on the French army of the WSS. its an excellent Mag. Costs £3.55 a copy . each issue concentrates on one paricular subject.its an excellent magazine, full colour with high production values. I get mine from Caliver.
Jim W