Total Newbie

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Bill Smithson

Total Newbie

Post by Bill Smithson » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:12 pm

Go on, I'm used to ECW in 28mm, but I have just ordered ULB because it's a natural jump.

So what are the best scales - 28mm, 15mm - don't tell me 6 mm as I can't see them to paint! And whch manufacturer - tell me more.....
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:24 pm

I'm biased Bill but I would always recommend 28mm for a first option :D

If you want to do Blenheim or something similar then 15mm or 6mm is a logical option but the real joy of this period is in the huge variety of uniform colour combinations and the oh so pretty flags.

This was the age when standardisation was a pipe dream and design was an art form!

Just take a gander at some of the colour combinations and unit standards for the various armies before you make a choice :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Churchill
General
General

Total Newbie

Post by Churchill » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:13 pm

Hi Bill,

Welcome to Barry's "League Of Augsburg" forum, I myself have only been a member for 2 months now, but the help I have had from Barry and other members has been outstanding.
Not only was I new to the forum, but also to the period too.
As soon as I joined the forum Barry was kind enough to e-mail a copy of the old rules "Under The Lily Banners" and I found them easy to follow and gave a good taste to the period.
I too have no figures yet, but I've decided on 28mm purely for the detail on some of the figures.I dont know if your interested in a particular war or army, but there are a few figure manufactures out there.
Here is a list of manufacturers to look out for.....Reiver Castings, Front Rank Miniatures, Musketeer Miniatures, Parkfield Miniatures, Old Glory, Dixon Miniatures and Foundry Miniatures.
My Personal choice is Front Rank as they do a excellent range for the War of Spannish Succession and I am starting my Marlburian British Army at Salute when I'll be buying the figures to make 5 battalions of infantry, 1 squadron of cavalry, 1 artillery gun and 2 generals.
more to follow......... :D

Regards...........Ray.

Bill Smithson

Total Newbie

Post by Bill Smithson » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:40 pm

I do like 28mm as I have a fighting chance of painting them to a standard that I like!
Looking forward to receiving the new ULB as I have just given Barry my address!

What about Foundry for the Marlburian Figures - it has to be an English Army, with some Scots Regts.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:31 pm

I personally prefer Foundry to Front Rank but the range is far less extensive.
Have a look at Reiver Castings Bill. A different style of design but a very wide variety of figures and many unique pieces. Dixons are one of my favourites but maybe a little early in period for you... primarily designed for 1685-1698.

I would not recommend Old Glory although this particular range is one of their better efforts.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Churchill
General
General

Total Newbie

Post by Churchill » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:29 pm

Hello again Bill,

It's a personel choice, but Foundry, Dixon and Old Glory are 25mm where as Front Rank and Reiver Castings are slightly larger at 28mm.
I'm going to be using Front Rank, but thats only because Reiver Castings dont do the War of Spannish Succession yet.One good thing about Reiver is there range is expanding and they plan to do the full period 1660 to 1721.
If like me your planning on building a British Marlburian Army then keep it historic.I've decided to do the British regiments at Blenheim where there were 14 regiments all but 1 regiment had 1 battalion each except for Orkney's 1st Foot "The Royal Scots" which had 2 battalions.
Two more of the regiments were "Scots" that being Rowe's 21st Foot "Scots Fusiliers" and Ferguson's 26th Foot "The Cameronians".
One cavalry regiment was Hay's 2nd Dragoons "The Scots Greys".
If you are interested in Blenheim then read though my thread Blenheim OOB it may help.

Good luck in your choice of figures..............Ray.