Front Rank WSS for BLB

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Texas Gamer

Front Rank WSS for BLB

Post by Texas Gamer » Sun May 04, 2008 10:40 pm

New to this period, as will become obvious. First post. Thanks, Barry for getting my login set up.

Does anyone have pix of what they have done with Front Rank 28mm WSS figs being used for BLB rules and basing? If anyone has ordered figures especially for BLB basing, what did you buy - still have the order?

I am thinking of using the lists from the battalion packs they offer and pare them down to 18 figs - but do I just trim 6 of the standard troops or lose a command fig or two too? I could get 3 24-man battalion packs (of the same figs) and make 4 18-man BLB units, but that will probably not give what I need. Actually, I don't need the battalion packs, because I will order from MSC in the USA, and they don't have them - but they have a good discount on a $250 plus order.

So, what's a good starting point for maybe a French and British "core" army? Or Austrians, or Dutch, or what?

I am starting to ramble here - maybe some of you can make out what I am really trying to ask. What to buy? Thanks!
Bluebear
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Bluebear » Mon May 05, 2008 3:46 am

Texas Gamer,

You can help us out a bit here by ansering a question or two.

"Do you have any particular army (or nationality) that particularly attracts you?"

"Do you have any battles or campaigns that particularly interest you?"

-- Jeff
Churchill
General
General

Front Rank WSS for BLB

Post by Churchill » Mon May 05, 2008 10:12 am

Hi Texas Gamer,

I too am new to the period, and I too have gone with Front Rank Miniatures to build my Marlburian British army.I then decided on a particular battle of the period, that being "Blenheim" as this is well documented.I purchased Iain Stanford's book "Marlborough Goes to War" which gives a good and reliable account of the battle and a well researched Order of Battle for the British/Allied and the French/Bavarian forces.I then purchased Robert Hall's colour plates on most of the British uniforms of the regiments that took part at Blenheim.These are both available on the Pike and Shot Society website.
As at Waterloo the British contingent at Blenheim was only a small percentage of the British/Allied army with there only being 14 battalions of infantry and 13 squadrons of cavalry.This being a small enough force for me to start off with and happy with :D
On the subject of using Front Rank Miniatures, I've discovered two thing's you may want to think about..........
A) There 28mm in size and the only other manufacturer that fits in with them is Reiver Castings.Foundry Miniatures are smaller being 25mm.
If like me you like a variety of poses in your figures then this could be a problem.
B) Although nicely sculpted the Marlburian British infantry are wearing "gaiter's" which is wrong for the period and they should be in stockings as with their French, Austrian and Dutch figures.
As for basing them for BLB, I have decided on 18 figures for each battalion and not bothering with the Pike base that some people are now saying were still in use at Blenheim.
For the Left Flank base 6 Line Musketeers in two ranks of three

For the Right Flank base again 4 Line Musketeers with the inclusion of 2 Fusiliers as Line Grenadiers on the extream right and front rank

For the command base in the centre I'm basing the officer in the front centre flanked by two drummers and in the second rank a musketeer behind the officer and this time flanked by two standard bearers/ensigns carrying the colonel's flag and regimental flag.
If it is the British army your thinking of building you may like to read the posts on my Tread "Blenheim OOB" some information may help.

Hope this helps...............Ray.

Texas Gamer

Post by Texas Gamer » Mon May 05, 2008 10:22 pm

Bluebear - no, and no. :)

I usually approach a new period by getting enough figs to do some "basic" battles. So I am thinking maybe 5 inf units and 2 or 3 cav, and a couple of batteries per side to start, just to work with the rules. Then I would expand from there for bigger, actual battles.

5x18man units is 90 figs, plus 3 cav is 18 mounted figs, plus some guns and crews makes about 250 figs, or equivalent. So about $500 to get started, is what I am thinking.

Churchill - thanks, good info.

Will continue to ponder this. More comments and ideas very welcome. Thanks!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon May 05, 2008 10:26 pm

Texas Gamer,

I would strongly recommend you build cavalry units in equal proportion to your infantry to get the right feel for the period. Horse is ultra important :wink:
Work on the principle of 1.5 squadrons per battalion. Your games will take on a much more realistic feel :D
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Texas Gamer

Post by Texas Gamer » Mon May 05, 2008 11:55 pm

Barry,

1.5 to 1 is 3 to 2, right? So, for figure purchase planning, that's 3 horse units for 2 foot units. That would be 18 mounted figs for every 36 infantry.

Right?

Does anyone know if Reiver is going to make WSS? Are some of their existing castings good for WSS. Churchill mentioned they are compatible in size - but are they good for the same time/war?

Anybody know if Front Rank will be making any WSS with bayonets?

Thanks, all.
Churchill
General
General

Front Rank WSS for BLB

Post by Churchill » Tue May 06, 2008 9:08 am

Hello again,

Yes your right with your sums :wink: 3 Squadrons for every 2 Battalions.

Reiver do intend to make a WSS range, but not just at this minute.
The only existing castings you could use for the WSS would be their Artillery and crew.

I very much doubt that Front Rank will be adding to their WSS range bayonets or otherwise.
If you want figures with bayonets then it's down to 25mm Foundry and Dixons have these.

Best Wishes............Ray.

j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Wed May 07, 2008 11:39 pm

The majority of figures used at our club are Front rank, and very nice figures they are too. We bought the battallion packs and originally our infantry units were 24 strong.
All we did when we based for BLB was split the units in two and make 2 battallions from one with 12 figs in each.
All that we do is remember that each base takes 6 hits, the unit takes 18, before its removed.
looks fine and works fine.