Figure suitability

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
pappenheimuk
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Figure suitability

Post by pappenheimuk » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:37 pm

Gents
I have some Front Rank Malburian foot figs which I was going to use fro WSS.
Unfortunately no one else in my club fancied the period in 25mm, but some guys are building some GNW armies, so are there any nationalities (Russian/Saxon/Danish....) that I could use these figs for?

David
"Anything but a one and you'l be OK!!!"
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:09 pm

I think you could use them for ANY of the mentioned suggestions David without any bother from anyone except the most neurotic anoraksiks in the Wargames Fashion Police :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
parkinspieces
Major
Major

Post by parkinspieces » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:20 pm

I would second Barry's opion :!:

Your best bet would be Danish I'd thought so you can use them to fight the Swedes and they will then be available to fight French/Bavarian etc should any one in your club decide's to try WSS or even LOA, wars in Ireland etc :wink: Also you get to use armoured cavalry with Danes :lol:

One of my mates bought Musketeer Min Russian Inf figures and as no command yet available, he bought FR command figures to mix in which they do very nicely :D

Hope this helps

Stuart
Bluebear
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Bluebear » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:06 am

I'd think about using them as Saxons if any of your gamers are "uniform nazis" . . . since I believe that during this period the Danes wore double-breasted coats.

If your mates don't care about such details (and personally I wouldn't mind) the Danes have got some great looks to them . . . and the Sapherson booklet ("The Danish Army 1699 - 1715") is both inexpensive and full of good information.

The Danish foot is mainly in gray with a rainbow of regimental colors (and the Guard is in yellow with red facings). The Saxon foot is in red (again with a wide range of facing colors). Both armies look sharp on the tabletop.

-- Jeff
hwiccee

Post by hwiccee » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:54 am

David,

Do you have any figures not in Tricorne hat, most likely Grenadiers?

If not then you are OK with most armies.

Not counting exotic types (Poles/Turks) & obvious types (Russia/Sweden) you can have the following in the Great Northern War -

Danes,
Saxons,
Prussians,
Hanoverians,
Norwegians,
Holsteiners (fought with the Swedes)
British (naval only but maybe a what if for land battles)
Hessians (not involved in reality but Duke was later to be king of Sweden & wanted to intervene)

Many of these fought in combination with each other or with the Russians so you could make a nice mixed army.

Hope this helps