Green Coats

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Adam Hayes » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:31 am

barr7430 wrote:you've really started something with this green uniforms thing Adam... Iain and I are scrabbling around like a couple of Oxford Dons trying to find the definitive source material.... you BOUNDER!! :wink:
:lol:

Does anyone make an agent provocateur figure? In a green coat??
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:42 pm

:lol:

he doesn't even need that much encouragment Iain :roll:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
reiver rob
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by reiver rob » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:40 am

Aw, come on lads, I'm not that bad am I? :wink:

I was thinking of a range of Louis XIV Chefs and kitchen staff as I believe they wore green coats with white facings. The dishwashers and bottle scrubbers wore reversed colours. :lol:

As for the Oxford Dons, would you want them in greatcoats or robes? :)

Rob
reiver rob
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by reiver rob » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:03 pm

On a more serious note, would you want the summer version in shorts with socks, sandals and knotted hankie? :wink:
huevans07
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by huevans07 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:34 am

Ronan the Librarian wrote:It was a notoriously difficult colour to produce at that time, not only because it involved dyeing the fabric twice (blue, then yellow), but also because it was a difficult colour to "fix" - often fading to a very dark, or very light colour depending on whether the blue or yellow dye had predominated.
I noticed the surprising lack of green uniforms or even facings in this period. The standard kit seems to have been a grey-white coat and red or blue facings. There is the problem that Ronan mentions, although that didn't stop Napo era armies wearing green.

As well, I know that German armies disliked green in the 30 YW period as being "unsoldierly" - maybe because of its Islamic connotations. It's possible that green may have retained its reputation as an unfavourable military colour into the late Eighteenth Century, in much the same way as English speaking armies to this day will not wear pink or yellow.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:49 am

Again, interesting points Hu but every new post on this topic is jogging my memory on the 'exceptions'....

The Coldstream Guards were allegedly wearing green facings in the 1670s and their pikemen were actually dressed in reversed colours... green faced red.
I am also thinking back to the TYW and ECW period. Source books available say the Protestant German Regiment Thomas Schlammersdorff's (fighting with the Swedes) allegedly wore Green coats and of course the is the case of Hampden's Green Coats from the Civil War....
I don't know whether the purpose of this post is now to..

a. Generally enquire about the use of green as a military colour in the 17th/18th century
b. Confirm that Green WAS actually used somewhere!
c. Refute all notions that ANYBODY ever wore green except for the Russians! :lol:

Let's see what everybody else thinks

cheers

B

Henry Ford
Ronan the Librarian
Captain
Captain

Post by Ronan the Librarian » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:56 pm

huevans07 wrote:I noticed the surprising lack of green uniforms or even facings in this period. The standard kit seems to have been a grey-white coat and red or blue facings. There is the problem that Ronan mentions, although that didn't stop Napo era armies wearing green.
1) The Napoleonic period came at the start of the industrial revolution and consequent improvements in the consistency and speed of dyeing processes. Even then, there were only two major users of green - Russia and Great Britain, who used it to equip not only its own riflemen, but also the Prussian reserve/landwehr, the Hanoverian army, and a Portuguese unit (the Loyal Lusitanitan Legion).

2) By the Napoleonic period, green had became associated (almost uniquely) with light troops and the "petite guerre/kleine krieg" and hence was not used by the bulk of the "line" and "guard" troops in all armies. Grey/white was popular in the early 18th Century simply because it required no dyeing process at all, hence there was a bit more money to spend on dyes for collars and cuffs. There was also the increasingly religious element to uniform colours - white/light blue for Catholics, dark blue/red for Protestants.

3) Adding to B's "exceptions" Irish regiments of the ECW period serving in England also wore green. IIRC, Hampden had conncetions with continental Europe that would have made obtaining green cloth from the Low Countries easier. (Interesting that the Coldstream Guards adopted green during the later Stuart period when England had a colony in North Africa that would have made obtaining green cloth - assuming that the Muslim nations had more access to it - easier, as well.)
Ssshhhhh!!!!!
huevans07
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by huevans07 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:43 pm

Churchill wrote:Hi all,

Another Regiment with white cuffs, Fergusson's 26th Foot (The Cameronians) 1704.

Any excuse to show my figures off :lol:

Kind Regards...........Ray.
Thanks for your incisive contribution to the thread regarding the use of green uniforms, Ray.

But this brings up another point. Is it true that Scottish regts in the WSS period used darker red uniforms than English regts?? Your Lowland Calvinists would seem to be wearing quite a dull shade of the Queen's colour.
Churchill
General
General

Queen's colour

Post by Churchill » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:37 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
huevans07
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by huevans07 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:49 pm

Just teasing you about the green coats.

Interesting that the 26th had darker coats. What's the backstory there?
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:01 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:17 pm

oh yes... my county regiment. The legacy is alive and well today.. for good or ill depending on your point of view

Henry Ford
bibio
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by bibio » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:17 am

Another odd thing about the Cameronians was the royal toast they remained seated,Something about standing only for God.
.I remember being at the disbandment ,and it was a tear jerking occassion,the regiment having voted to disband rather than amalgimate,there used to be a fairly good regimental museum in hamilton but that gave way to a small section in the local museum .

iain
Natholeon
Private
Private

Post by Natholeon » Tue May 04, 2010 8:23 am

A pity this thread died before anyone came up with a definitive answer to the questions plaguing me at this moment!
I decided that I would follow Grant's advice and paint a Walloon regiment in Dutch Service in green coats. I gave them red cuffs, because I just couldn't find any info anywhere regarding them, and copied the Austrian Walloon colours.
I grabbed the Luttisch regiment flag from Warflag and named it the Luttisch regiment. So two questions:

1) Can anyone tell me categorically that the Walloon regiments in Dutch service did not wear green coats or what cuff/stockings etc colours they may have had;
2) and does anyone know what the Luttisch regiment looked like?

All and any advice appreciated.

Many thanks
Nathan
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Tue May 04, 2010 5:07 pm

Heres my Walloon Lutisch regiment. I used the uniform reference for WSS by Gille Boule. During the WSS it served in the Austrian army. Not much of a stretch to say prior to that it was in Dutch service.

Thanks to Clarence for the flag!