Derby World Championships "Boyne Game"

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Churchill
General
General

Derby World Championships "Boyne Game"

Post by Churchill » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:54 pm

Hello everyone,

First of all I would like to thank Tim a.k.a Eugenio Von Savoy and all the other members of "Like a Stonewall" group.Tim kindly invited me down for the Derby weekend and I was given the flanking command for their huge Battle of the Boyne 1690 game.This was played on a 30' x 6' table with stunning terrain and buildings.A good proportion of the figures used were Old Glory and Foundry and painted to a good standard, most of the flags were home made and these were very colourful.The rules we used were home grown by the group and worked very well.Over the two days we played 28 turns and got a end result and considering we used 153 units well over 3,000 25mm figures the game went smoothly and quickly.For those of you who couldn't make the Sunday it was a mistake to allow the Danish get a foot-hold across the Boyne as these applied alot of pressure on the Jacobite centre.The Dutch Guard infantry attacking Oldbridge found the village a little more difficult to take and James Lifeguard infantry managed to repluse one battalion of Dutch back across the river, but in doing so followed up and disordered themselves.These brave, but foolhardy men received musketry fire from three Dutch battalions and amazingly managed to rally while standing in the middle of the river.James centre began to crumble even though the other battalion of Lifeguard infantry advanced across the bridge and pursued a Dutch battalion to the point that William was at risk of being captured or killed.These eventually turned around in an attempt to save their fellow Lifeguards, but it was all too late.Sarsfield's cavalry in a bid to stem the Danish advance which was now also attacking James centre, charged the Danish Guard infantry and after a volley of musketry were wiped out to a man.
The flanking march was also making head-way against Jacobite infantry formed-up in hedgehog in a attempt to defend themselves against Dutch Guard cavalry.Eppinger's Gardes te Paard and Garde Dragoons managed to rout or break into four of these hedgehogs and they had a whole division of cavalry following them up in support.The Jacobite infantry stationed in the marsh did march up to the edge of the marsh and this did stop Trelawney's infantry brigade from advancing in column.
James centre division at Oldbridge finally broke and the battle was over with the threat of the Dublin road being attacked by Williamite cavalry.King James was last seen boarding a French ship never to return from exile.
The game went pretty close to the way the battle was actually historically fought with the same end result.
Here are some photo's from the game.

James II is now residing in a small shed at the bottom of King Louis XIV palace garden and talks to the garden gnomes on a daily basis....What do we do now....What do we do now???

Regards......Ray.

Last edited by Churchill on Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:45 pm

Hello Ray, thanks for the report and the nice photos :)

Poor Sarisfield :cry:

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons
huevans07
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by huevans07 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:23 am

Another great set of photos!

The Old Pretender and a set of garden gnomes?! Could there be a more repugnantly treacherous cabal against England, bygod!

I task you, Sir, to paint a miniature of Judge Jeffries at once and supply him with a length of stout modeling twine to do the necessary!
Churchill
General
General

More photo's from the Boyne Game at Derby.

Post by Churchill » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:22 am

Hello again,

Here are some more photo's of the Battle of the Boyne 1690 game at the Derby World Championship's.

Jacobite dragoons try in vain to halt the flank march, these only lasted two turns before being wiped out by Dutch Guard cavalry.

The French brigade who did nothing throughout the game except stand and look pretty.

The flank march of Williamite cavalry which was followed up by the infantry.

Kirke's Regiment as part of Trelawney's Brigade march at haste following the flank marching Williamite cavalry.

Dutch Gardes te Voet taking casualties while crossing the Boyne.

Assaulting the village of Oldbridge.

Lt.General Richard Hamilton commanding the Lifeguards who bar the way at Oldbridge.

The Lifeguards prepare to fire at a Dutch battalion.

Wurttemburg-Neustadt commander of the Danish division watching the outcome of the attack on Oldbridge.
The Wurttemburg figure is from Reiver Castings and the two officers on foot are Copplestone.

Dutch Gardes te Voet drive the Jacobite foot out of Oldbridge.

The Jacobite defence of Oldbridge begins to crumble.

This was my command the Flank Marching Dutch/British cavalry who had to divert past a series of marsh and bogs before they could form-up and charge Jacobite infantry in hedgehog formation.These were poor quality Irish militia and the Dutch Garde cavalry went through them like a hot knife through butter.In their pursuit alot of irish blood was spilt and no lives were spared.
The game went the way it did historically and was a very enjoyable weekend.

Many Thanks.............Ray.

Last edited by Churchill on Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
Eugenio von Savoy
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Eugenio von Savoy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:24 am

Hi Ray et al,

Thanks for the write up, the cracking photographs and for diplomatically restraining the news that it was my freshly painted Dutch guards cavalry brigade out for the first time on a wargames table that, in your very capable hands, did the mauling of that Jacobite rabble I was in command of on the day. LOL

We hope to put this game on again if we are able to find a suitable location - any takers anyone? However we will require two days to play it.

There were several of the group taking photographs and I do hope to put more up on this forum and on our own site once I have received copies.

For the record "Poor Sarsfield" will return next year (sounds very Hollywood) in our Aughrim 1691 game at Newark Partizan I in May 2010 and I shall be seriously badgering Mike McNally to get across and take part in that game.

Once again many thanks and hope all forum members enjoyed our rendering of the Boyne.

I am off now to conclude the painting of 5 more Scots Brigade units for my Dutch army and prep up the initial units in my new Spanish army.

Uzzarh

Tim
"Like a stone wall" Wargames Goup
Nottinghamshire
UK
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak, Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
Sir Winston Churchill,
Dilly
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Dilly » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:06 am

Cracking game and photos, and ooh, look Mr & Mrs Dilly in the back ground :D
Eugenio von Savoy

Post by Eugenio von Savoy » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:59 pm

Mssr Dilly,

Deepest appologies Sir. When speaking to you at the Boyne game had I been aware that you were located so close to us then I should have invited you across to our next local WSS/LoA period game.

If interested please send your e mail address via a personal message and I can then give you a shout when we are next playing.

I suspect from my fortnighly excursions of a soccer nature to just beyond that neck of the woods that you could be with us in 45 mins using the A617 route through Chesterfield.

Regards
Tim
"Like a stone wall" Wargames Group
Nottinghamshire
UK
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak, Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
Sir Winston Churchill,
Churchill
General
General

Mr & Mrs.Dilly in 25mm

Post by Churchill » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:24 pm

Hi Dilly,

Mr & Mrs Dilly in the back ground :shock: sorry but I didn't notice we had a married couple in 25mm :wink: Where you in your home at Oldbridge at the time of the Dutch attack :lol:
Glad you liked the game and photo's.
I was a guest of Tim's and really enjoyed the whole weekend.
I was the chap moving all that cavalry down the flank where you were standing.

Regards............Ray.

Dilly
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Dilly » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:47 pm

Tim,
That's very generous of you, many thanx, however, with my awkward shift pattern it is difficult to make plans very far in advance,if I can make it to a show I'm usually short of time, but should I make it to the next show that you are attending, I will drop in and say hello, it was an awesome game you put on, I would like to know some details of uniforms of the jacobite cavalry if possible, mean while this is my blog with some pics of my 15mm LoA/WSS/GNW figures.http://1699wellish.blogspot.com

Ray
I know she's short ....but 28 mm ????

Best Wishes Dilly :D