2nd Big Battle of BLB more toys.

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Darkman
Major
Major

2nd Big Battle of BLB more toys.

Post by Darkman » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:56 pm

Hi We had our 2nd big game today and had a very good time.

I will start with some introductions what they commanded. some rule changes we made. and the start photos. Tomorrow I will try to do the rest of the report and add the rest of the photos.

So to start
Steve Butler (that is me)
Commanding the allied right flank
8 Battalions
13 Squadrons
1 Field gun
3 Light Guns.

Martin Gibbins
Commanding the allied left flank
8 Battalions
10 Squadrons
1 Field gun
3 Light Guns

Paul Brazell
Commanding the french left flank
9 Battalions
11 Squadrons
1 Field gun
3 Light Guns

Bob Lorton
Commanding the allied right flank
6 Battalions
15 Squadrons
1 Field gun
3 Light Guns

The rule changes were
We removed the medium range from normal firing (not the charge table) so that short range was 0-4" long 4-8" with the normal modifiers.
There was no failed to charge on a six. as it seems to only effects elite cavalry.
Cavalry could go through 60mm gaps as long as there was room to deploy on the other side. We felt that if a unit could rout through a 60mm gap them a cavalry unit could effect a passage of lines going the other way.
Only 1 battalion in buildings. firing with maximum of 2 stands out of any side. May not fire more than 3 stands in one turn.
When rolling for the percentage number of units to move. Roll a D10 poor deduct 1 from the roll, good adds one to the roll and exceptional adds 3 to the roll. then look up the percentage able to move.

Now the Deployment starting French left to right.

Now the Allies from Right to Left.

Will try to do the rest tomorrow.
Darkman
Major
Major

Post by Darkman » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:55 am

With both armies set up we rolled for our generals, I was poor, Martin and Bob good and Paul exceptional. It looked like an uphill battle. All along the French lines units started to move. It looked as though the French plan on their right was to get into a firefight with the Prussian foot and then retire to allow the large amount of cavalry to ride over the exhausted foot. On their left it was a bit more cautious with an advance in the centre with the extreme left holding. Allied plan was to hold on the left and counter attack with the Austrian Cuirassiers, and on the right move forward with the Hessen-kassel and support with the Hessen-kassel and Wurttemberg cavalry.

French Advance

Allied advance

The first drama was an all or nothing charge on the extreme left Prussian unit. After a disastrous couple of dice rolls the cavalry were in contact and pushing the infantry back. Due to the position of the other French cavalry the Danish cavalry could do nothing about this and some Austrian cuirassiers had to be sent over to help out.

Across the centre a firefight had broken out all across the front. Casualties started to mount up and units started to retire or rout.

General picture

On the allied right the H-K infantry slowly pushed back the French infantry from around the wood and an Irish battalion from in front of the village retired. As this was taking place some more French units moved towards the woods and noticing this the H-K and Wurttemberg cavalry advanced.

In the Allied left centre the French battalions were retiring leaving the way open for the French Gendarmes to charge the exhausted Prussian and Danish foot. This was too much and they routed with the French in pursuit.

On the Allied right centre the Bavarian infantry had routed but this left the way open for the French cavalry following them up. However here the British had managed to bring fresh units into the line so giving them a chance of pushing off the cavalry.

The Bavarians would rout soon

After yet another set of rubbish dice the British and Dutch foot were legging it and to cap it all the British cavalry refused to charge. (They had been taking the odd hit from a Bavarian field gun)

On the Allied left it had developed into a large cavalry duel with the arrival of 2 squadrons of Austrian cuirassiers. This continued until the end of the battle with neither side giving way.

Allied left centre the French cavalry pursed the broken Prussian and Danish foot. They broke another unit of Prussian foot but floundered against the second line Danish unit Fyland. This gave the Austrian cuirassiers time to position themselves and charge the gendarmerie scattering them and slowly driving them from the field.

On the Allied right with the H-K battalions exerting pressure the H-K and Wurttemberg cavalry charged the French foot and cavalry. The infantry fought on but eventually broken to the liebgarde and the battalion behind broke as well. The H-K cavalry initially broke the French cavalry but in turn routed from the French reserves. However this exposed the French to the second line of Allied cavalry and the French were driven from the field.

This was now time to call it a day. The French cavalry on their left centre had broken the British and Dutch and had gone on to finish off the British cavalry. They were how ever now in a position to be charged by some fresh Austrian cuirassiers. The H-K infantry were still exerting pressure on the French infantry, but soon the Allied cavalry would be in a position to start charging them in flank and rear. On the Allied left a stalemate had developed between the French, Austrian and Danish cavalry.
On the left centre the Austrian cavalry had possession of the field with no French cavalry to contest it.

Overall a very good time was had by all. The rule changes worked as it encouraged battalions to close. The command dice did give some variation but not as dramatic as normal. A couple of questions did arise.
What visibility do people use in woods, that if there is any.
And if a unit charges in to a unit that is in contact with retiring or routing units. Is that a new charge or a reinforcing charge?

Anyway hope you have enjoyed it. Next game mid December. Should have some more toys by then so an even bigger game.
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:47 pm

Thanks for the report. Nice looking game.

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:11 pm

That's how it should be done folks! 8)

NICE GAME
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Wim VdB
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Wim VdB » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:32 pm

Really inspiring, and excellent pictures!
Thanks!
curassier
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by curassier » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:20 pm

Beautiful and Front Rank must be very happy!
Can you explain a little about the basing? What size are the bases for three-rank and two-rank units?
Obviously the three-rank units have more figures - is this just for show or does it have any baring on the operation of the rules.
I assume you are using BLB?
Once again inspirational work.
Jon M
Jonathan
Darkman
Major
Major

Post by Darkman » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:44 pm

Hi curassier, when we started our project we had a long discussion about how we intended to base our units. We wanted to show some difference between Rank and Platoon fire in this case 3 deep units and 2 deep units. In the end we picked on a common base size for not only the infantry but also cavalry and artillery as well.

The base size is 60mm x 80mm.

For Rank firing units and artillery we use 60mm as the frontage and for Platoon and cavalry we use 80mm as the frontage.

We tend to leave the outside figures on a base missing so that when you have units next to each other there is a natural gap seperating them. Sometimes there will be the odd casualty or officer there but not much else. The cavalry are placed towards the center aslo to leave a gap at the ends.

So basically it is for show. The units have the same number of figures 20-22 depending on the particular painter.

If you go to the painting section of the forum you will find some of the units in there which will give you a better idea of what I am talking about.

And yes we are using BLB as it gives an easy to understand game with period flavour.

Next game is in the middle of December. Larger forces are being assembled (I have however been side tracked by Cold war commander and painting 1/200 modern) and the table will yet again groan under the weight. I might have to paint an extra 2 feet section to go on the end.

Hope that helped.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:25 pm

Darkman,

Not only do I have to compliment you on the game but, that is an eclectic collection of books you have there. What size was your table?

Jim the Shelf Snooper :oops:
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
Darkman
Major
Major

Post by Darkman » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:40 pm

Hi the game was played on a 10 x 6 table. I can take it out to 16 x 6 but it becomes a bit of a squash and you cannot get all round the table then. Will have to look at going to 12 x 6 soon and then will think about asking the boys at Gripping beast if we can use their tables for anything bigger. I have to reduce my wargames room next year as two boys will soon nead seperate bedrooms Boo Hoo.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:52 pm

Darkman,

Forgive me if the answer's obvious but, are those buildings all scratch built?

Regards,

Jim
Jim O'Neill.
Darkman
Major
Major

Post by Darkman » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:56 pm

Hi No the building are from these people

http://www.netmerchants.co.uk/section.p ... 25cb9f6d84

All prepainted at a reasonable price. The bases are made by me but with fencing and walls bought from other manufactuers

Hope this helps
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:01 pm

Darkman,

Many thanks for the heads up. I had never heard of them before.

Regards,

Jim
Jim O'Neill.
Darkman
Major
Major

Post by Darkman » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:00 am

Hi Coffindodger

If you are interested in buildings I have also bought some of these in the past
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/25MM-28MM-WARGAME ... 58845466fc

They are good quality and sturdy. Also as you see prepainted which for me is a bonus.