Browned off with Italians

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Browned off with Italians

Post by dashing blade » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:26 pm

Juat finished a battalion of Royal Italians , and as per the uniform guide painted them in brown coat,red cuffs etc.. maybe not the most flattering of colour schemes, but still... couldnt find any other reference to brown coated troops...were there any? :? also whats the worst uniform colour combination? There are some horrific napoleonic uniforms but for wss ,Bavarians in light blue and yellow cuffs (unless painted with care) can look bloody off putting...maybe that was the idea. "If your going to fight, clash" with aplogies to Robin williams. :lol:
(The historical evidence that God comes from Lancashire is slim, however he's definitely not from Yorkshire)
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:17 pm

dashing blade,
Your spot on with the brown for the Italians. As far as "worst" uniforms, I don't know of any. I could only recall an out-of-the-laneI uniform color combination from the Danish Artillery crews;purple coat w/green cuffs.
I personally like out of the norm uniforms, and will go out of my way to paint one up.

P.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
footslogger
Major
Major

Post by footslogger » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:56 am

Didn't the French regiment Provence have the same uniform scheme (brown with red)?

As far as bad uniform schemes go, I think this is about the worst in this period.
Bluebear
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Bluebear » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:06 am

I actually painted up and use some of those purple/green GNW Danish artillerymen (although I think that they might have been raised in what's now Norway) . . . anyway, they look good . . . very distinctive. I like them.

-- Jeff
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by dashing blade » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:46 am

Purple and green is rather disturbing,still being in the artillery,i bet it didnt stay that colour long! One of our local T.A. units has purple dress trousers and khaki tunic! The reason for this odd colour combo i've forgotten,still they stand out. :D
(The historical evidence that God comes from Lancashire is slim, however he's definitely not from Yorkshire)
footslogger
Major
Major

Post by footslogger » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:17 pm

Bluebear wrote:I actually painted up and use some of those purple/green GNW Danish artillerymen (although I think that they might have been raised in what's now Norway) . . . anyway, they look good . . . very distinctive. I like them.

-- Jeff
I have some purple paint I never use (came in a set from foundry), and I'm working on Danes for Ramillies. Did the Danes have any artillery at Ramillies? I'm assuming they had regimental guns, did those use the purple uniform?