Newbie question

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
daniel1492
Private First Class
Private First Class

Newbie question

Post by daniel1492 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:03 am

I am very interested in starting a project in this period. With all of my projects I prefer to study not only the military strategy and tactics but the political and historical events of time. To be honest, I am clueless where to start. I did find The Anatomy of Victory at a local bookstore and believe that is good start for the military tactics of the time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
"As fate is inexorable, and not to be moved either with tears or reproaches, an excess of sorrow is as foolish as profuse laughter; while, on the other hand, not to mourn at all is insensibility."
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
flick40
Major General
Major General

Re: Newbie question

Post by flick40 » Tue May 24, 2011 4:03 am

Daniel,

The rules and period extend from 1660s - 1721. In that time there are several wars and plenty of political intrigue to choose from. You have the real beginnings of standing armies, uniforms, cadenced marching and military technical advancements. You can fight from Turkey to the Colonies and all points in between. It's really up to you where to start.

For me I loved the plight of the Wild Geese and their origins. This started me studying and building a Jacobite army and their opponents. That in turn had me building a French army as well, since thats where the Wild Geese ended up. (among other places) You could start with your nationality or maybe a favorite general and go from there. Then decide if you like the idea of pike in your army, if so go earlier in the period.

Hope that helps get you started. Research whatever you decide and dont be shy to ask from the 'pros' here on the boards. I am but a dabbler compared to others.

have fun
Joe
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Tue May 24, 2011 9:05 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
kippax
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by kippax » Sun May 29, 2011 7:36 am

I'll second that and welcome :D
"Stupid Boy"