28mm unit sizes for WSS

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Arthur
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: 28mm unit sizes for WSS

Post by Arthur » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:16 pm

Looks like a good compromise to me, Nick.

Re the Great Northern War, the best starting point for uniforms (and probably the one-stop shop for the period) are the books by Lars-Erik Höglund and Ake Salinäs covering the colours and uniforms of the various belligerents. They're published by Acedia Press and I doubt there's anything more comprehensive in English on the market at the moment. Pete Berry of Baccus Miniatures stocks the Acedia books for the UK and here's a link to the Acedia Press Website :

http://www.acedia.se/engbok.htm
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:30 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eugenio von Savoy
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Eugenio von Savoy » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:12 pm

Nick,

On the question of hat's...floppy hat's for the period 1660 until 1697 anything after that the tricorn.

Ray.

Nick/Ray
"Just a cottonpickin' moment there Musky......" Tricorns very nice when issued and as dressed up for the paintings and tapestries but I wouldn't hold out much for one keeping its shape on a long rainy, then hot, then rainy again summer march through southern Germany in 1704. Many would revert back to their original shape.
Something to bear about is the wear and tear that so often is not picked up by figure designers.

Regards
Tim
'Like a stone wall' wargames Group
Nottinghamshire
UK
http://www.freewebs.com/like-a-stone-wall/
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak, Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
Sir Winston Churchill,
eboracomb
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by eboracomb » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:15 am

Thanks again Ray for your input very clear and of great help,as to the hats as I said this is the problem of designing figures its impossible to please all as Ray and Tims post prove,a lot down to personal taste I guess.I,ve been in touch with Bob and Paul this weekend and everything looks fine for october launch.

good fortune and happy gaming nick
eboracomb
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by eboracomb » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:25 am

Thanks arthur for the tip off found a copy,rather expensive but sounds like it could be worth it.
Rohan Wilmott

Post by Rohan Wilmott » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:04 am

eboracomb wrote:Any suggestions for regiment composition gratefully excepted.
Foot 18 figure unit
Foot 24 figure unit
Foot 32 figure unit
Horse 12 figure unit
Horse 18 figure unit
command figure ratios grenadier ratios.
Howdy, Nick. For my BLB infantry units from FR, I order 1 officer, 2 standard bearers, 1 sergeant, 1 drummer, 2 grenadiers & 11 musketeers - usually march attack pose.

For the BLB cavalry, I order squadrons of 6 - 1 officer, 1 standard bearer, usually 1 musician & 3 troopers. Even in multi-squadron regiments, I always order at least an officer & a standard bearer per squadron as I love lots of flags (usually Maverick Models). :D

Cheers, Rohan.
eboracomb
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by eboracomb » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:30 am

Thanks Rohan for your input really precise and clear,thanks for the tip about flags I'd already found the maverick site and was very impressed.I was toying with the idea of offering free flags from mavrick when people buy army deals and also of offering a free partizan press book on the uniforms of marlboroughs wars vol 1 or vol 2 with the largest army deal two brilliant reference books,do you think this might be of interest to customers.

good fortune and happy gaming Nick
Juan Mancheño
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Juan Mancheño » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:41 pm

YES! It could be very interesting :D
Arthur
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Arthur » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:20 pm

eboracomb wrote:Thanks arthur for the tip off found a copy,rather expensive but sounds like it could be worth it.
You're welcome, Nick. On the Russian side, the two Osprey MAA's on the army of Peter the Great are also quite good given the limitations of their format.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:56 pm

eboracomb wrote:Thanks arthur for the tip off found a copy,rather expensive but sounds like it could be worth it.
Worth every penny.
Eugenio von Savoy

Post by Eugenio von Savoy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:57 am

Nick
We in the group follow the old tradition of 16 man foot units having been weaned on the period at the old Wargames Holiday Centre and the Gilder/Ingham rules. Our Imperial Austrian foot units are of 5 bases and as we appear to be turning our attention North and Eastwards (watch this space!) so may be the case with our Russians.
Within our 16 man units we use 4 bases of 4 figures, one base of which is command and usually includes 2 standard bearers in that base. Within the other 3 bases we drop in the additional NCO here and there. The right hand side base within the formation usually contains 2 grenadier figures. It all adds to the mixture and still retains a sense of uniformity to our units. In short that equates to something like this:
1 Officer
2 standard bearers
1 drummer
2 NCO
2 grenadiers
8 other ranks
Our usual horse units are of 4 bases of 2 figures equating to 8 figures in all; these include 1 Officer, 1 standard bearer and 1 musician. Of course there are the big dragoon units that Ray has described earlier and they are usually in multiples of 12 figures.
Trevor D usually has a cardiac when we order on his army pack deals! LOL

Regards
Tim
'Like a stone wall' Wargames Group
Nottinghamshire
UK
http://www.freewebs.com/like-a-stone-wall/
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak, Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
Sir Winston Churchill,
eboracomb
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by eboracomb » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:57 pm

Thanks for that tim I really appreciate all the info I can get,maybe 16 figure units for your rule system and also 18 figure units for BLB and a 24 figure unit for those who like bigger units of foot as for the horse It sounds like a good idea to tailor the packs to suit your rule system and BLB.

footslogger
Major
Major

Post by footslogger » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:31 pm

I think any packages you do with a discount will be welcomed. When I buy from Front Rank I figure out what I need, what I can get in a battalion pack, and what is left to buy. The selection isn't perfect for what I want to buy, but it's fine, and I certainly appreciate the discount.

Do you know already how your figures will compare height-wise to Front Rank? And are you planning to do specifically Spanish figures? I'd be very interested in such. I haven't started on the fairly large Spanish contingent in my WSS army yet. I was hoping someone would make some for around the start of the period (although I realize later in the wars their uniforms took on a very French look).
eboracomb
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by eboracomb » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:50 pm

Hi footslogger
I've posted pictures on my blog on my site eborminiatures.com for size comparison so you can take a look and see for your self,as to the spanish I plan to do the spanish in detail as nobody seems to do them or really take them serious which is a big shame as their uniforms were slightly different from anybody elses at the start of the war and also you have the added twist that they fought for both sides,thanks for your interest footslogger.
Juan Mancheño
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Juan Mancheño » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:41 pm

The news about the Spanish Army is a GREAT, GREAT, news; at last, someone is interested in making this colorful and hard fighting Army. There was an uniform of the old style and a new one, more French in cut, after the aplication of the "Ordenanzas de Infantería" of 1706. Of course, both type of uniforms coexisted in some units and in the Milicias Provinciales y Señoriales (Militias).

Cheers,

Juan