WSS French Militia

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

WSS French Militia

Post by dashing blade » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:26 pm

According to Osprey "Louis XIV Armies" French Militia seem to wear a sort of Fawn/Beige colour uniform. There's only one illustration and the plate info is missing from my copy (as previously mentioned). So the question is ; does anyone known if this colour was standard or just for a certain unit? :?: :?: :?:
Any advice fella's :!:
(The historical evidence that God comes from Lancashire is slim, however he's definitely not from Yorkshire)
Arthur
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: WSS French Militia

Post by Arthur » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:36 pm

The militia wore plain grey coats and their hue probably depended on the batch of cloth from which the uniforms were made. The coats were supplied locally, each man being issued a suit of clothing by his native village. I imagine the shade of grey would have varied according to the quality of the material at hand. The poorer districts may well have issued coats cut from undyed homespun cloth, which has a brownish tinge to it and would account for the fawn/beige shade you mention (think C17th Scottish hodden grey). More affluent areas would have been in a position to afford better quality coats of light grey/off white wool. Chartrand states that a few units jazzed up their very plain uniforms by adding touches of colour, the Soissonnois militia having for instance red linings.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by dashing blade » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:19 pm

Cheers Arthur,
so if i fielded a unit or two of French militia with slightly off white/buff coats this would be historically probable :?: Also would i be correct in thinking the officers would wear white/grey to denote rank/wealth :?: having purchased them by their own pocket.
(The historical evidence that God comes from Lancashire is slim, however he's definitely not from Yorkshire)
Arthur
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Arthur » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:36 pm

Speaking just for myself, I'd go for shades of light grey and dull light brown as the militia was the French army's poor relation and not a branch anyone was keen to lavish resources on. So I'd avoid anything too flashy and I'd make the lads look as drab as I could. But since the grey of the coat probably varied significantly from unit to unit, you can paint your militia as you see fit and not be too much off the mark.

And I agree with you about the officers : they came from higher up in society and bought their own clothing, so they probably looked somewhat better than their men - although given the militia's lowly status I doubt they were snappy dressers .
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:27 pm

I would also point out that dyes at this period & much latter where given to fading changing colour & that grey cloth are rather notorious for becoming brownish over time in the field, hence the notorious butter nut.

However thank you for post as its just given me the idea for the unit I will be doing for the painting competition.

:evil: Ginger
Arthur
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Arthur » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:17 pm

EvilGinger wrote:I would also point out that dyes at this period & much latter where given to fading changing colour & that grey cloth are rather notorious for becoming brownish over time in the field
Very true. Vegetal dyes of the pre-industrial age were not particularly fast and faded quickly when exposed to rain and sunlight. I'd avoid the butternut shade for this period though, and would opt for a dull, brownish light grey instead.
Rohan Wilmott
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Rohan Wilmott » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:02 am

Dash,

As your unit are militia, what about varying shades in the one unit - that should give a suitably "regular rabble" type appearance in keeping with their morale. :D

Cheers, Rohan.
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:57 am

I am in process of doing some of these for the Painting competition so far I am just blocking in the colours, and they have fairly conventional pale grey coats looking but I intend to use some brown & umber washes to shade and some of the highlight will be cream not pale grey The rank and file some times lack stockings & have homespun coloured britches, & waistcoats, some earth brown some khaki, some bronze green and wooden buttons. few apart form the officers have properly coloured facings with most being an undyed wood colour a mix of khaki & cream.

:evil: Ginger
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by dashing blade » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:08 pm

Rohan,
Thanks for the tip,i do tend to mix a few dark and light shades into my units,catches the eye,and looks suitably campaign'ish.I have even extended this to the "Garde Francais" . I also have a few Gentlemen volunteers in their own clothes to add a little tone.
As for the militia they will be dirty,unshaven,scruffy and quite possibly useless on the table top. Pure Cannonfodder :!:
Ginger,Good look with the comp,try to get a stale garlic smell to add charcater to your unit :lol:
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:12 pm

dashing blade wrote: ...and quite possibly useless on the table top. Pure Cannonfodder :!:
You've just described my entire collection.

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:41 pm

My "Militia" units are a mix of musket, pike, pitch forks, hoes, axes, etc. This give them the "ragged" look. I also gave them a nice looking officer and a flag of a solid color.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:47 pm

You got sum gangbangers to go wit dem hoes ?
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:01 pm

LMAO...Yup they're from the OG25's Pirate collection...
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:57 pm

We need to see the bodies . . . er, the regiment, to be sure.
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:55 pm

If you show me yours I will show you mine when I have finished painting them & that is coming on nicely now.

:evil: