GNW Swedes Officer sash color?

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

GNW Swedes Officer sash color?

Post by Redmist1122 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:28 am

A bit of a silly question, I have painted up seven Swedish units in the last week and half, what's the sash color for the officers? I've looked through my sources and found nothing. All kinds of info for NCO's, but none for officers. Any help, well would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
Tacitus
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: GNW Swedes Officer sash color?

Post by Tacitus » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:36 am

Swedish officers did not have any sashes. A substitute for sashes could have been their belts which may have been covered with blue cloth and laced with gold. Atleast the Guard had that arrangement and gold laces on the belts are mentioned for other regiments officers.

As a matter of fact it does not seem like there exist any good translation of the word "sash" in the Swedish language. I have never encountered such a word in my litterature apart from quotation of the german words for it.
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:01 pm

I guess that explains that...Well recommendation would be blue then? All the nice looking officers I have (Foundry, Dixon and OG25's) have sashes.

Thank you.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
pnorberg

Post by pnorberg » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:17 pm

Here are some pictures of a Swedish officer from the Great Northern War.
Attachments
officer 1710- 2.png
officer 1710- 2.png (212.58 KiB) Viewed 4331 times
officer  1710.png
officer 1710.png (225.08 KiB) Viewed 4331 times
Tacitus

Post by Tacitus » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:06 pm

It looks like the officer's coat in those photos is based on lieutenant Carl Wilhelm Drakenhielm's coat from the Norwegian campaign in 1718, which is the only preserved Swedish uniform from the Great Northern War other than those worn by royalties. It may however not be a typical example of a Swedish officer uniform.

Drakenhielm belonged to the Södermanland regiment and their NCOs had 1718 blue coats lined with yellow (chamois), which was unusual since Swedish NCOs were normally dressed in an all blue uniform. Drakenhielms coat has the same colour combination as the NCO:s and I believe it is highly likely that Swedish officers in general had the same uniforms as their NCOs, with the exception of gold lace instead of silver lace. If that is correct, yellow lining on the coat would have been an exclusive feature for the Södermanland regiment and limited for the Norwegian campaign of 1718.