Horse Holders

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Rohan Wilmott
Sergeant Major of the Army

Horse Holders

Post by Rohan Wilmott » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:09 am

Hello all! Yes, Greg, I was enjoying the "English Horse-Holders" thread discussion too, so I will try to repeat the tuppence worth I sent, and hope that others will do the same.

I find that dragoons can be the most expensive troop type (unlike the historical reality) as you have to provide mounted and dismounted bases, and if horseholders are done to scale (ie 1 stand per sqn) that would be too much.

However, last year I played in a game where we had 1 stand with mounted horse holder & 3 mounts on a large circular stand (Front Rank French) to represent the place where the dragoon brigade dismounted (3 sqn's providing a 3 stand unit). We then said that if this stand was fired on & sustained casualties it would disperse beyond rallying and the dragoons would have to use "shanks' pony" to get home! We thought this appropriate to the morale & status of dragoons in this era. If the dismounted dragoons returned to the mounts, it would take a full move with a "Form" order to mount & get into formation, being disordered while forming up.

We did not allow for moving this marker stand, but I guess it could move trying to follow the brigade or move into cover. I thought a move of 6" as a compromise between foot & mounted movement allowing for the difficulty of herding the un-ridden mounts. The stand could be counted as a unit & need a "Move" order marker to proceed. However being fragile they will disperse if charged or sustain casualties, the mounts being uncontrollable.

Barry, this brings up a point - we assumed that squadrons from different regiments in a brigade would dismount as 1 stand per squadron, but would form a single unit of 3 bases and then move as a single entity with a single order marker (Indeed, if there were 4-6 squadrons it could form several units of up to 3 bases). Is this so, or does each dismounted squadron count as a seperate unit needing seperate order chits?

Cheers, Rohan.
Rohan Wilmott

Re: Horse Holders

Post by Rohan Wilmott » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:12 pm

Ah! Wondered what had happened to my Dutch cavalry question ________________
Bill T
The above from the "Whatever happened to?" thread.

Gents, I was very interested in the info on that thread and the "English Horseholder" thread,too, and wonder if those who posted on the subjects could see their way to re-post the information for the delectation of others, please?

Yes, even the "Octogonish" bit if necessary! :lol:

Cheers, Rohan.
yar68
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by yar68 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:54 pm

Well as its started up again, here's my Horse Holders which started off the rangle last time!!!

http://onelover-ray.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... horse.html

Ray

Yay...I say yay..............Yay!

http://onelover-ray.blogspot.com/
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:58 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jezamonos
Captain
Captain

Post by jezamonos » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:16 pm

My thoughts on this are that it could be expensive having to represent each squadron of dismounts so intending to have a mixture of dragoons to dismount and those that are just bullet cavalry.

For those that I will dismount I shall have a 50mm x 50mm stand with 5 dragoons ( same size as infantry stand) and then a disc base with a holder and horses for asthetic purposes.

As to rules, potentially will have the dismount location marked and then if the dragoons want to remount they will need to return to the location. The holders could only be attacked if there are no other offensive units within range of attack.
Owner - Default Models
http://defaultmodels.blogspot.com/
yar68
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by yar68 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:24 pm

At the moment I've only got 2 Dragoon units, (4 squadrons) so its not that expensive having one of these bases per squadron. I will be painting up more for my Irish/Jacobite army, so I'll need plenty more For 25mm like you said Ray, just have 1 horse + 1 holder. That's not gonna break the bank, but you gotta remember they're not actually needed for the rules (at the moment), so you could get away with not using any.
Ray

Yay...I say yay..............Yay!

http://onelover-ray.blogspot.com/