visiting Ramillies

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
footslogger
Major
Major

visiting Ramillies

Post by footslogger » Wed May 16, 2012 12:45 am

I'm going to be in Belgium for work in June (Brussels). I'm trailing 3 days of vacation after that. Ideally I'd like to visit Ramillies, Oudenarde, and Malplaquet. That's prolly too ambitious. I *must* get myself to Ramillies though. Anyone here been there and have recommendations about places to stay nearby?
redcap

Re: visiting Ramillies

Post by redcap » Sat May 19, 2012 2:51 pm

Hi

I am visitting Ramillies for the anniversary this week. I have found a place to stay 'Le Moulinde Fernelmont, Rue d'Eghezee 23, 5380 Forville' Tel: 081262154 0497480043. It is about 13Km from the Battlefield, at least according to satnav, and cost about 50 euros per night with breakfast. Not been there before but the lady sounded okay on the phone. Hope that this helps.

Alan
footslogger
Major
Major

Post by footslogger » Tue May 22, 2012 6:11 pm

Thanks Alan.

Please let me know what it was like after you've been. Sounds like it might work.

Regards,
Phil
redcap

Post by redcap » Sun May 27, 2012 7:41 am

Hi

Got back yesterday, the B&B was fantastic, treated us like part of the family apart from the B&B the landlady fed and watered my wife and I in the evennings. Ramillies is even closer than I thought, came out of the B&B into the village, turned right to Branchon and then followed the Allies route of advance to Taviers, all in all about a ten minute drive. The battle field itself is crisscrossed by numerous metalled farm tracks which I used to great advantage. Using these tracks you can reach any part of the field that you may wish to visit. The battle ground series of books has a map on the back cover which shows these tracks and was perfectly adequate for the purpose. No one else there, except the local policeman, who strangely enough lost interest in why I was there when he realised I had my anorak on.

If you go I hope your visit is a good as the one I have just finished

Alan
footslogger
Major
Major

Post by footslogger » Sun May 27, 2012 5:58 pm

Thanks, Alan. I'll be there at the end of June and I'll try to make arrangements where you stayed. Sounds great.