GNW - Battle of Fraustadt 1706 - AAR

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

GNW - Battle of Fraustadt 1706 - AAR

Post by Redmist1122 » Thu May 17, 2012 10:45 pm

Hello all,
Well after several months of painting up Swedes, Russians and a few Saxons, I figure let give the GNW a go using BLB2. The battle I chose was Fraustadt 1706. This was a battle between the Swedes and a combined army of Russians and Saxons. While putting together the units I realized I was way short on Saxons and some Swede cavalry. To supplement the lack of troops, I had to inject some Danes, Dutch, French and Brits. I used a mixed source for the battle; Lace Wars Scenarios #3 and a Scenario I pulled from the web designed for Polemos- I think it came from the Forest Games Club.

I played the Swedes and my oldest son Dan, played the Russians/Saxons. The Swedes were set up in the standard infantry in the middle with cavalry on both wings. The first brigade of Saxons was set-up in the fortification/works with the second brigade right behind in line support and the Russian brigade on the left. Dan’s cavalry were set-up the same, supporting the flanks. As mentioned in the rule booklet, the Swedes move very fast – 6” in line. I did a quick shift and went to my left with the infantry to hit Dan’s weak side. The cavalry were fast in engaging on both flanks. The Swedes Guard Grenadiers fought very valiantly as they survived waves of musketry and some cannon fire and manage to make it over the works to engage the defenders and win. Shortly thereafter the rest of the infantry came though and slowly destroyed the infantry and artillery in the works. In the meantime, my left cavalry brigade swept up the Saxons and was in no time riding behind the works. Now, my right flank was held up and was eventually shot away by the Russian infantry. After two days of gaming, roughly 12 hours, we called it. I didn’t set-up any victory conditions as I thought they were already establish in both scenario guides I used – not! If we had continued to fight to the last man, the Swedes would be gone through attrition. Dan had a whole brigade of fresh Russians left... If you call Raw troops fresh.

The game ORBAT was the Swedes were outnumber 2-1 in infantry and slightly outnumbered in cavalry. Majority of the Saxon/Russian army was Raw. Only a few units like the Saxon Guard were Elite and all their cavalry were Drilled. The vast majority of the Swedes were Elite, with the exception of my three infantry and two cavalry guard units that were classed Guard.

Feedback on the rules for this game; Well we goofed right off the bat and did the combat results wrong. We were only 5 turns in, so we decided to reset and started over and it worked out well…more competitive for both sides. The Swedes definitely get a lot of +1 bonuses along with a hold your first fire before you melee, a +4 modifier. It wasn’t until the latter part of the game I remember to tell my son to take a -1 when checking for morale for any of his units that melee against the Swedes.

Scenario feedback; I would give the Swedes one or two stands of pioneers, add a few artillery pieces to the Russian brigade – they had none. Add in the Event cards and maybe the Artillery Optional rules. I didn’t do much research on this battle, but one of the scenario guides had a marshy stream in front of the works – that may have slowed the Swedes a half of a turn – again, they move fast! I didn’t place that down. I would have used from BLB2 the Army Morale rule; I think that would have ended the game sooner. After 5-6 hours, Dan had lost half of his army.

Here’s a link to the game pics - enjoy:

http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb13 ... =slideshow
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: GNW - Battle of Fraustadt 1706 - AAR

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri May 18, 2012 4:25 am

Hi,

Very good report :!: And pretty photo's. Thanks for them :D

Besides, I dont like Fraustaedt as a battle :wink:
(as a Saxon)

Well done

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Fri May 18, 2012 9:50 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Sat May 19, 2012 1:12 am

Thank you both...

I forgot to mention I had to press some Prussians to help out the Saxon/Russian armies.

@ Friedrich I,
I plan on making a balance for the scenario so there are potential victory conditions for both sides. I'm not a big fan on one-sided victories. Like I said before, this battle went back and forth, and if fought to the last stand, the Saxon/Russian army would have won.

Making plans to increase my Saxon army...kinda short on flags for the cav. Any suggestions?

Thanks again.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Sat May 19, 2012 2:14 am

Great fight. Though I don't know his age I'm glad younger people are interested in our hobby.

Joe
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Sat May 19, 2012 2:41 am

Joe,
Dan is 26, and my youngest is 18...all gamers since they were 8/9ish. When Dan was about 12, we went to Hurricon in Tampa FL. I paid for him to play all day, he ended up sweeping an ACW tournament. The group sponsoring the game was using a new rules set I think called Piquet or something like that. It was funny watching him roll 'dem bones and destroying his opponents. Too cool!
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat May 19, 2012 4:19 am

Redmist1122 wrote:Thank you both...

I forgot to mention I had to press some Prussians to help out the Saxon/Russian armies.

@ Friedrich I,
I plan on making a balance for the scenario so there are potential victory conditions for both sides. I'm not a big fan on one-sided victories. Like I said before, this battle went back and forth, and if fought to the last stand, the Saxon/Russian army would have won.

Making plans to increase my Saxon army...kinda short on flags for the cav. Any suggestions?

Thanks again.
Greg P.,
I got some month ago this picture from 'The Flagdude' when I was looking for flags for my own upcoming Saxon/Polish Army.
Hope it helps

Günter
Attachments
Saxon Standarts Cavalry.jpg
Saxon Standarts Cavalry.jpg (51.87 KiB) Viewed 13019 times

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Sat May 19, 2012 5:06 am

Gunter,
Thank you for sharing!

Been doing some research on-line of the battle and found a couple of you-tube videos. Not sure if you've seen them. One was not in english, but it was still interesting and I could fogure it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2guQUerCuKo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcRHVPCmstM
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
yar68
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by yar68 » Sat May 19, 2012 4:57 pm

Nice report and great pics Greg!!! It looked like a monster of a game!!!! How many units were there per side?
Ray

Yay...I say yay..............Yay!

http://onelover-ray.blogspot.com/
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat May 19, 2012 6:16 pm

Greg,

here is the link to the map of the battle out of Saxon sight

http://www.digam.net/image.php?file=dok ... .jpg&b=850

quite different to some other maps I saw so far :roll:

Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Sat May 19, 2012 7:16 pm

@ Ray,
The Saxon/Russian army for the game fielded 14 infantry units, 6 horse, 2 dragoons, 2 field guns and 2 light guns.
The Swedish army had 7 infantry units, 6 horse, 1 dragoon and 2 light guns.

@ Gunter,
Unable to ready the writing on the map, but I would take my best guess; yellow squares are the Swedes, red sqaures are Saxons and green are Russian. I think the "R" above the green boxes could stand for Russian. The "G" would be Guards? "H" would be horse. Not sure what the "A", "B", "C", D", or "E" stand for. I do notice the two larger marshy areas connected by a small stream in front of the Saxons. Not sure what terrain is represented on the flanks where the horse are, and the line behind the Saxons - works or abaitis?

Thank you again!
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
El Cid
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by El Cid » Sat May 19, 2012 8:11 pm

It's a bad copy to read it exact, but I try. And it's written in an old version of the german language, some sort of "Kurrent".

The paragraphs are named "A" to "K", so it's no "R", it's a "K".

"K" is the March of the Royal Swedish Army.

"G" and "H" are both Cavalry.

I'll try to find a better version and give you the full details.

Or Gunther maybe :wink: .
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Sat May 19, 2012 8:39 pm

El Cid,
Nice!

Thank you.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
Cheriton
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Cheriton » Sat May 19, 2012 10:40 pm

Greg:
Redmist1122 wrote:Hello all,
Well after several months of painting up Swedes, Russians and a few Saxons, I figure let give the GNW a go using BLB2. The battle I chose was Fraustadt 1706. This was a battle between the Swedes and a combined army of Russians and Saxons.
Here’s a link to the game pics - enjoy:
Great slide show, thanks for sharing. I presume some of the figures are from those unpainted ones I traded to you several months back?

Very good to see them actually in action on the tabletop after so many years in my cabinet. :D

I am also glad to hear your son is involved with you as well, enjoy yourself...

Cheers,

Michael
"Blessing of your heart you brew good ale."

~ Shakespeare
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Sat May 19, 2012 11:04 pm

Michael,
Yup, you hit it on the head. I'm just about done with those packs I got from you. Perfect filler for the odds and ends that I had. As a matter a fact I'm putting together about 5 more Saxon infantry units as I type...just taking a break.
The ones I haven't used yet; Polish Winged Hussars and the Bavarian Grenadiers. I think I'll make a Bavarian Grenadier unit. I've seen them in ORBATS but cannot find any other information about them. As far as the Polish Hussars, that's going to be a mega project when I get the Saxons and Danes done.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA