drapeaux des mousquetaires de la garde

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

drapeaux des mousquetaires de la garde

Post by j1mwallace » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:58 pm

can any of you knowledgeable gents suggest where I can find a usable illustration of Louis XIV's musketteers. I thought that this would be fairly easy but not so.
cheers
Jim W :shock: :?
azeroth
Captain
Captain

Post by azeroth » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:24 pm

Jim,

The Osprey book on Louis XIV army has a couple of useful plates in it. I can probably provide electronic copies of the relevant plates if required.

IanB
A moth eaten rag on a worm eaten pole
It does not look likely to stir a man's soul
'Tis the deeds that were done 'neath the moth eaten rag
When the pole was a staff and the rag was a flag.

E Hamley
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:16 pm

Jim,

are you painting up the Musketeers?
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

French Musketeers of the Guard

Post by j1mwallace » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:47 am

I am indeed. Because they are extremely nice figures I have enough for 1 squadron.
cheers

Jim
pabblo41
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Musketeers of louis XIV

Post by pabblo41 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:06 am

If you have the Funcken Lace War's book 1 they are in there, or buy the Dan Schorr CD on French Cavalry of Louis XIV, there are full colour plates of both companies, have trooper, officier and drummer uniforms, as well as the two types of flags they carried for each company. Can get this from Baccus 6mm from their website, follow products and publications. But is expensive costing circa £35. I have this CD and it is fantastic, as it give unit histories, uniform details, flags, kettle drum covers and trumpet banners etc for all the french cavalry (not dragoons, another CD) if available for the period and beyond. If you go to Dab Schorr's website (www.northernwars.com) direct can get a CD for US $140.00 which covers the entire French Army for the period, and consolidates the 4 existing CD's on the period they have. As a cheaper alternative, he also does plates for US$8.00 (taken from above CD's), and under Ramallies in the French bit, there is one for the Musketeers. I got on on the Danish Guard infantry, I signed onto paypal and it only cost me the $8, great, but do not get any of the commentry with the plate :wink:

Can also get Osprey book on Louis XV no 1 on cavalry, has a color plate on the musketeers. Their uniforms were not really any different from Louis XIV time (in fact I cannot see what the differences were, and at the scale we paint at you can probably ignore them).

Hope this helps 8)
Pabblo41
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

musketeers

Post by j1mwallace » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:56 am

thank you gentlemen. I have the lace wars book by Funcken and have now found the illustration.
Cheers
Jim