language of command?

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
footslogger
Major
Major

language of command?

Post by footslogger » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:45 pm

Thinking about armies in our period and how many different languages must have been present in an army, I wonder, what was the language of command?

I guess I wouldn't be surprised if most of the generals spoke French though I think it was a little later when it was fashionable for every educated person to speak French, but I'm not sure about that even.

Or, did all commanders learn some basic battlefield conversation in several languages?

Anything written on this?

(And, I thought we had this topic before, but searching for it, I couldn't find it. If there's a thread on it already, please accept my apologies for not finding/reusing it).
Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Re: language of command?

Post by Russian James » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:26 pm

Don't know about Generals, but Sergeant-Majors always seem able to communicate no matter what language...! :)
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: language of command?

Post by obriendavid » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:22 am

footslogger wrote:Thinking about armies in our period and how many different languages must have been present in an army, I wonder, what was the language of command? .
You should try and run a game which involves, Fifers, Weegies, Geordies and Brummies, that can lead to serious language command problems. :wink:
Cheers
Dave