Killiekrankie, 1689

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Killiekrankie, 1689

Post by Russian James » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:28 pm

Forgive my ignorance if this has already been addressed...

Does anyone know the colours for Cannon's Irish at the above?

I would be interested in modelling the 'what if' of Dundee surviving the battle and the Rising succeeding in Scotland. There are a few accounts which say that many regiments stationed in the highlands would have come across to James VII.

This would give the interesting, and colourful, option of fielding regular units, highlanders, Irish and French as the true king consolidates his realm before moving south...

...or is this way too fanciful?
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Killiekrankie, 1689

Post by barr7430 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:38 pm

I am not aware of any sources detailing the uniform of Cannon's Irish so you would have a free rein on that... maybe grey or red even.
On the post Killieicrankie subject I did a scenario artilce for WI around 12 years ago featuring exactly such a battle... I called it To Die for the Stuarts it had 2 or 3 scenarios, one was the fictitious battle of Nantwich featuring:

A combined English/Scots Jacobite Army including regular and volunteer units combining with supporting French and arriving regular Irish units fighting against a largely European army with very few English/Scots Williamite Army. I have played the scenario and it was an extremely dramatic affair with Highland clan charges supported by regular infantry.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
flags_of_war
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Re: Killiekrankie, 1689

Post by flags_of_war » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:16 am

barr7430 wrote:I am not aware of any sources detailing the uniform of Cannon's Irish so you would have a free rein on that... maybe grey or red even.
On the post Killieicrankie subject I did a scenario artilce for WI around 12 years ago featuring exactly such a battle... I called it To Die for the Stuarts it had 2 or 3 scenarios, one was the fictitious battle of Nantwich featuring:

A combined English/Scots Jacobite Army including regular and volunteer units combining with supporting French and arriving regular Irish units fighting against a largely European army with very few English/Scots Williamite Army. I have played the scenario and it was an extremely dramatic affair with Highland clan charges supported by regular infantry.
I was looking at this said article the other day when i was flicking through all the backissue cd's.