Marlbourough's Trumpeter

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Belg
Major
Major

Marlbourough's Trumpeter

Post by Belg » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:49 pm

Hi,
I have a problem concerning the painting of the miniature of the Trumpeter of the Duke of Marlbouroug. :cry:
In the image I found on the Osprey book dedicated to Marlbouroug's Army, the Trumpeter is wearing the uniform of the Guards and the red coat has covered almost entirely with gold ribbon, while the Front Rank miniature have not them printed.
Is this a simplification made ​​by Front Rank, but on other miniatres he has instead reproduced the gold ribbon, for example on napoleonic drummers? Or the Trumpeter in question, on campaign, he wears a uniform less flashy, so WITHOUT such ornamental ribbons?
Does anyone happen to have already painted this Front Rank miniature?
:lol:
Churchill
General
General

Re: Marlbourough's Trumpeter

Post by Churchill » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:38 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:27 am

I have noticed that, from manufacturer to manufacturer, there are different ways of sculpting lace and buttons. So it may not be a simplification as much as the determination by the sculptor that the lace would not be distinguishable from the coat on a 25mm figure.

You can always paint it in if you have a steady hand. Or, look at other manufacturers for a different trumpeter.
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
Belg
Major
Major

Post by Belg » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:03 am

Churchill wrote:Hi Belg,

It might help if you tell us the Front Rank figure code for the one your using.
Is it BSP2 or SSC2 or SSC30.
BSP2 is the British personality trumpeter and upto date I haven't used this figure, but one will be used when I do my Duke of Marlborough & his general's command diorama.
So far when doing my Horse & Dragoon regiments I've been using SSC2 figures (see my Blenheim OOB thread).
Painting wise, I would suggest Scarlet Red coat and facings, Black boots and hat, Gold lace on hat, coat, buttons and button -.
Grey horse, Scarlet Red pistol holsters and horse blanket, Gold boarders on holsters and blanket.
Brass/Gold trumpet, Scarlet Red trumpet banner, Gold crown and initials "AR" for Queen Anne and fringe surrounding banner.

Hope this helps,

Ray.
He, Lord Churchill,
many thanks for your answer.
Yes, I have bought from Front Rank the specific miniature of the Marlboroug's Trumpeter, the one with the code BSP2.
Seeing the image of Angus McBride published on the cover and in one of the inside pages, full color, where you may see the coat practically covered by golden ribbons, I was surprised not to see the traces of these sculpted on the Front Rank miniature.
In the imagine by Angus McBride, the Trunpeter is viewed from the side, so this does not help to understand how to paint the gold ribbon on the coat of the miniature.
This is the picture you may see in the on-line Osprey's catalogue:

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/members ... 1PA_th.jpg

To use a different miniature, as you tell, it did not help me to solve the problem of "ribbons yes or not"!
Please could you post here a picture of your diorama?
Thank you very much.
Bye,
Sergio
Belg
Major
Major

Post by Belg » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:11 am

Rob Herrick wrote:I have noticed that, from manufacturer to manufacturer, there are different ways of sculpting lace and buttons. So it may not be a simplification as much as the determination by the sculptor that the lace would not be distinguishable from the coat on a 25mm figure.

You can always paint it in if you have a steady hand. Or, look at other manufacturers for a different trumpeter.
Many thanks for your answer.
Can you please tell me the name of any company that makes a British Trumpeter on horseback, the period of the War of the Spanish Succession, which has the ribbons of his coat carved on the miniature, that it is compatible with the size 28 mm Front Rank?
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:58 am

I'm interested now as regards the Front Rank figures and the McBride illustrations...

Ray...I'm surprised that with all your research, you have not:

1) Bought this 'issue' up before, yourself....
2) Given clarity to where McBride may have got his 'intel' from....

So over to you Ray....we do look to you as one of the leading lights for everything 'Churchill'....

Thanks in anticipation,

Blucher
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:11 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:48 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

Post by PaulMc » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:27 pm

...we do look to you as one of the leading lights for everything 'Churchill'.
I love Churchill! I love when he says "Oh yes".
"We shall attack across the minefield, under cover of daylight!"
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:24 am

Ray

Just because you do not use Osprey referencing, that does'nt necessarily mean that McBride is incorrect....does it? Your pretty pictures, although very nice, are'nt helping this 'debate'....really....

On a 'second front' (so to speak), I'm surprised that such a learned man as yourself can refer to something as The Glorious Revolution Period in British history as a side show....!!! Not only was it a pivotal point in defining a great deal in mainland Britain it has also been one of the main pivotal factors in how Ireland is today.....

'....maybe you need to do some more schooling young man......'

Regards

Aid
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:24 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:54 am

Gentlemen,

The interesting point of the "side show in Ireland" is that if James had been able to defeat William, and therefore regain the crown of England, it is highly unlikely that 14 years later Churchill would have been fighting against France.

So not only is it a pivotal moment in the history of England & Ireland, it could have resulted in a very different situation in Europe given that the Dutch would not have had the military or financial support from England, as well as having to fight the Royal Navy in order to keep their overseas possessions.

Hardly a sideshow.

Bob
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. Macarthur, Douglas
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:42 am

My Dear Ray

.........I would like to answer and query your points, if I may....

1) I am quite educated and have a great deal of knowledge about certain things....
2) The whole questioning of 'The Trumpeter/McBride issue' was a follow on from the original posting by Belg...who was looking for an answer (as was I out of interest). It was you who implied by your tone that McBride/Osprey maybe not 'legit'...and not used by you....
3) I have never professed to 'know everything you have stored in your knowledge bank'...and I am sorry for my deficiency in this...but as educated to the degree as I am, I am not a mind reader!
4)Like I have said previously and I believe Toggy has hit the 'nail on the head' - without The Glorious Revolution, your (and my hero) Churchill may never have come to prominence...and hence your 'handle' on the site may have been something like 'Louis, Duke de Tyne'......and you would not actually even have a Blenheim OBB thread...('Oh...LaLa')
5) I have no Issues or any Beefs as you so eloquently put it, with you or anyone else (to my knowledge).....have you, Old Boy?

So...I am prepared, based on the history I was taught at school and my recent interest in The Glourious Revolution (and my increasing but very far from massive knowledge of this Era) -to still maintain that Ireland was far from a side show - whether you or King Louis think otherwise!

Maybe in future, if you are not sure of 'an answer/reply' to a posting - you should just say 'I don't know' - rather than some convoluted going round the houses .......

....just a helpful, well meaning, thought....

Cheers

Aid
Belg
Major
Major

Post by Belg » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:13 pm

Hi All!
Excuse me, but from what I could understood, despite my not excellent knowledge of the English language (I rely on Google Translator) I did not have the intention to wage a new war between Ireland and England (or Great Britain)! :roll:
My simple question related to just the dilemma:
a) to follow Angus McBride, with all those ribbons that cover the coat of the Trunpeter,
or,
b) more simply, to follow Mr. Brown (Boss of Front Rank), which he has not had them carved on the miniature.
Given the difficulties - for me - to paint exactly those ribbons, I think will follow for the second option, depicting the uniform of red, with blue reverse. And that's okay! To play toy soldiers and I think that's enough leftovers!

Thank you Lord Churchill for pictures posted.
Could you tell me, please, what regiments they relate and, again please, may you give me the url of your blog?
Thank you all.
:D
Sergio
Naran Team Turin
http://www.naran.it/
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:02 pm

Belg,

maybe this furthers the rift between the two decissions you have to make but I think you should see this:
http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigi ... &snum=&e=w

All pictures are to be found at:
http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigi ... _id=585389

Hope that helps one way or the other,

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.