Osnabruck Leibgarde Regiment

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Jeff78
Private First Class
Private First Class

Osnabruck Leibgarde Regiment

Post by Jeff78 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:50 pm

Can anyone recommend some references for the Osnabruck LeibGarde during the LOW/WSS period? Google, yahoo etc. have turned up nothing. The only mention I have seen is on the Dutch CD (Hall I believe). It looks like they served at Almansa as well as Oudenarde and Malplaquet.
Giorgio
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Osnabruck Leibgarde Regiment

Post by Giorgio » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:43 pm

http://vial.jean.free.fr/new_npi/archives/archiv.htm

very nice regiment, my one is (almost ;- :oops: ) invicted

best regards from Italy
Giorgio
Graf Bretlach
Captain
Captain

Post by Graf Bretlach » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:26 pm

I'm not sure what regiment you are referring to, can you give a bit more information, I did look at Oudenarde and Malplaquet but didn't find it.
wdrenth
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by wdrenth » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:10 pm

Two regiments were raised in the bishopric of Osnabruck during the WSS, according to Tessin's 'Regimenter der Europaeischen Staaten im Ancien Regime'.

One regiment was the Leibregiment zu Fuss that was raised in 1701. After the war, is went into Imperial service in 1716. This regiment would eventually become Infanterie Regiment No.15 in the Austrian army. As an aside, the second son of William V, the stadholder of the Dutch Republic was the colonel between 1797 and 1799. The regiment was probably organised in three battalions during the WSS. It served in Italy, Spain (after Almansa) and Naples.

The other regiment was a single-battalion regiment raised for service with the Maritime-Powers. It was raised in 1703, and designated as Regiment Spiegel, though also as Osnabruck or Bevern. This regiment was disbanded in 1713, following the treaty of Utrecht.

hope this helps,
Wienand
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:12 pm

Hmm
Close or no cigar?

Drapeau des Gardes de l'Electeur de Cologne Joseph Clemens von Bayern

Jeff78
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jeff78 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:38 pm

The leibgarde regiment is the one I'm looking for. I thought I saw that they were at Almansa and then up in Flanders, working from memory so I'm probably wrong. I've got the Dutch Army CD translated by Dan Schorr and that's where I saw them mentioned, apparently they were in Dutch pay. Any good sources with more info? I've got some info on uniforms and flag, but I'd really like to find out a bit more on the unit's history.
Arthur
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Arthur » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:44 am

According to August Kühn, the Osnabrück/Lorraine Leibregiment had green coats faced red with red waistcoats and white stockings in 1701. By 1708, the coat had become grey with green cuffs and red neckloth, waistcoat and stockings. Same uniform in 1710, except the coat had a red lining by then (but still green cuffs apparently). Drummers in reversed colours as one might expect, and officers wore a much laced and embellished version of the enlisted men's coat. Sapherson gives the exact same data, no doubt using Kühn as his source.

Flags featured a double eagle with the arms on Lorraine on the breast shield, though other designs appear to have been recorded. The ones below are based on Jean Belaubre's Les triomphes de Louis XIV :

The regiment served in Germany in the early years of the WSS, being at Landau in 1702 and the Stollhauffen lines thereafter. It was sent to Italy in 1706 and then Spain in 1708, meaning it wasn't at Almansa. It did fight subsquently at Balaquer, Almenara, Saragossa and Villaviciosa, though. So no service in Flanders round 1707/1708.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.
Arthur
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Arthur » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:00 am

flick40 wrote:Hmm
Close or no cigar?

Drapeau des Gardes de l'Electeur de Cologne Joseph Clemens von Bayern

I'm afraid this is a non-smoking facility :mrgreen:

Different unit, different household : this flag belongs to one of the regiments raised in the Lower Rhine Circle, namely the Elector of Cologne's Leibregiment.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.
wdrenth
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by wdrenth » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:03 pm

Not sure if the correct regiment, but the Vinkhuijzen collection contains a very nice image from an officer of the regiment of the Bishop of Osnabruck:
http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/id?89805
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:41 pm

Gents,
Here's a few pics I took for Outland Games earlier this year - they supplied the flags:

To Ray - Thanks for simple instructions on posting pics!

NOTE: Had to re-link the pics.
Last edited by Redmist1122 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:23 pm

Jeff78 wrote:The leibgarde regiment is the one I'm looking for. I thought I saw that they were at Almansa and then up in Flanders, working from memory so I'm probably wrong. I've got the Dutch Army CD translated by Dan Schorr and that's where I saw them mentioned, apparently they were in Dutch pay. Any good sources with more info? I've got some info on uniforms and flag, but I'd really like to find out a bit more on the unit's history.
which cd is that . i have the cd that baccus sell in the uk but that is is german. would you havev a link to any company that sell's it.
Graf Bretlach
Captain
Captain

Post by Graf Bretlach » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:52 pm

OK if this is the regiment then here is some info from Wrede for flavour.

10 companies (1,000 men) raised 12 June 1701 by Herzog Carl Ignaz zu Lothringen und Bar, Bischof von Osnabrück, at his own expense. known as the "Osnabrück’sches Leib-Regiment" in Imperial service, April 1716 taken in to Imperial service as a regiment proper.

Inhaber
Carl Josef Ignaz, Prinzen von Lothringen und Bar Bischof zu Osnabrück und von 1711 an Churfürst zu Trier († 1715)
1716 - Leopold Josef, Herzog von Lothringen (duke of Lorraine)

Regimental commanders
1701 Obristlieutenant Georg Ludwig Ritter von Lattermann ( dann Obrist)
1708-17 Obrist Ludwig von Rohr

Feldzüge
1701 27 August at Frankfurt am Main with 840 men, by October increased to 16 companies, November Grenadier comp. raised
1702 In Germany, 1 battalion at siege of Landau (regiment was now 1,595 men)
1703 part of regiment in garrison at Landau
1704 detachment under Obristlieutenant Briglières (or Brillié) in the attack on Alt-Breisach (Briglières was mortally wounded 10 Nov, died next day in French captivity)
1705 took Drusenheim, 23-25 September
1706 to Italy in Corps Wetzel (Hessen-Kassel) fought at Castiglione delle Stiviere, 9 Sept, the regiment lost 129 killed, 154 wounded/captured and 102 wounded.
1707 in Piemont
1708 wintered at Mantua, then to Catalonia, at Guardia where obristlieutenant Rohr distinguished.
1709 detachments at assaults on Roda & Venasque.
1710 fought at Almenara, Zaragoza and Villaviciosa.
1711 fought for relief of Cardona
1712 no fighting
1713 to Naples.

Hut: Dreieckig, Krempen aufgeschlagen, schwarz
Rock: Perlgrau mit grünen aufschlägen.
Camisol: Grün
Hose: Perlgraue Kniehose.
Strümpfe: Roth, hoch.
Schuhe: hoch, aus starkem Leder, zum Schnüren.

interesting note – August 1702 the grenadier company formed with grenadiers from IR17 & 59 and Würzburg regiment Bibra into grenadier btn and with 6 others formed a grenadier brigade under GFWM Horn. At this point the gren. Coy was 2 off and 53 Mann. Bataillon Osnabrück was 495 Mann and 12 off.

There is quite a bit on this regiment
Jeff78
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jeff78 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:22 am

Gents, many thanks for the info. Interesting regiment that doesn't get much press. Graf Bertlach, excuse my ignorance, but what reference is "Wrede"?
Turrabear, I return home on Friday, I'll look at my CD and see who made it. It's in German too so maybe we have the same one.
Anyone have a picture of the double eagle standard?
Graf Bretlach
Captain
Captain

Post by Graf Bretlach » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:32 pm

Apologies Jeff78 - Wrede is a very comprehensive series of books detailing all the Austrian regiments that ever existed, there is also Andreas Thürheim, for more detail there are some excellent regimental histories. IR No 15 is in vol 1 pg. 217 of Wrede.

Geschichte der K. und K. Wehrmacht, Alphons Wrede, 1898

Gedenkblätter aus der Kriegsgeschichte der k.k. Armee, Andreas Thürheim

copies available on Google books or quite cheap from print on demand services.

However if your service history is correct, it sounds like you are looking for the Dutch regiment.

unfortunately regiments with the word Leib are quite common, often 5 or 6 regiments at any one battle.

there might be a bit more information on the excellent Dutch regimental website http://www.milwiki.nl/dutchregiments/
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:00 pm

Arthur wrote:The regiment served in Germany in the early years of the WSS, being at Landau in 1702 and the Stollhauffen lines thereafter. It was sent to Italy in 1706 and then Spain in 1708, meaning it wasn't at Almansa. It did fight subsquently at Balaquer, Almenara, Saragossa and Villaviciosa, though. So no service in Flanders round 1707/1708.
That is great information to know. It makes it an easy regiment to paint for the Spanish forces of Archduke Charles. Since that's the theater that interests me, it's one more thing to file away.

Thanks!
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.