Flags for Infantry of the Swabian Circle

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Flags for Infantry of the Swabian Circle

Post by 18th Century Guy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:41 am

Can anyone point me to a source that shows the flags of the infantry from the Swabian Circle in the WSS? I have the 'Imperial Austrian Army 1683-1720' CD and I see infantry regiments with the same names as those found in the Swabian Circle but I know that in some cases there could be two units with the same name in these different armies.

So, can someone help clear that up as well as point me to the flags for this group? Thanks so much.
Greg
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Re: Flags for Infantry of the Swabian Circle

Post by turrabear » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:43 am

you could try the book material on the war of spansih sucession book 2 . the armies of the imperial circles of swabia and franconia as well as the bishopric of wuzburgh and the margravate of ansbach by augsut kuhn the book was published by edition broklaw in 1989.
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:50 am

you can also try war flag at www.warflag.com/. they have 4 swabian wss flags on their site.
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:39 pm

Next question for the Swabians is for the cavalry. Any ideas for them? I'm trying to find on-line pics of the flags if that is at all possible. Thanks again.
Greg
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:04 am

18th Century Guy wrote:Next question for the Swabians is for the cavalry. Any ideas for them? I'm trying to find on-line pics of the flags if that is at all possible. Thanks again.
try page 37 of the august kuhn book . it has a description of a swabian cavalry and dragoon standard taken at friedling .if you don't have the book i'll put the descripiton up on the site for you.
Jeff78
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jeff78 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:35 am

Volume 2 of "L'Esercito Imperiale al tempo del Principe Eugenio di Savoia" shows a different flag for the regiment Roth (War Flag Rodt?).
It has seven long blue flames going from top to just a bit short of the bottom with corresponding white flames going bottom to top. Oval shield in the middle with the bottom 2/3 being yellow with three black lions. Top third of oval is black with small white German cross. Oval is surrounded almost completely by a wreath (small gap at top of oval). Authors list original source for this flag as "Besalungsanqaben fur die Zeit des spanischen Erbfolgekrieges" by K.P. Boldberg. Internet search turned up nothing for this source. This three volume set of Eugene's army published by the Soldier Shop is pretty neat...be neater if I could read Italian.
maciek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by maciek » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:32 am

you could try the book material on the war of spansih sucession book 2 . the armies of the imperial circles of swabia and franconia as well as the bishopric of wuzburgh and the margravate of ansbach by augsut kuhn the book was published by edition broklaw in 1989.
I second this.
you can also try war flag at http://www.warflag.com/. they have 4 swabian wss flags on their site.
The Swabian flags on Warflag are quite decent. Unfortunatelly, the eagle looks quite anorectic ...
You can go for better picture here:
http://www.flaggenparadies.de/advanced_ ... &x=10&y=12
Next question for the Swabians is for the cavalry. Any ideas for them? I'm trying to find on-line pics of the flags if that is at all possible. Thanks again.
You can find the pictures here:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b5 ... aux.langEN
Look for trophies captured at Friedlingen.
Authors list original source for this flag as "Besalungsanqaben fur die Zeit des spanischen Erbfolgekrieges" by K.P. Boldberg
Carl-Peter Goldberg is a well known historian and author of booklets about WSS armies.
Maciek

http://zealandbayonets.blogspot.com/
wargaming in 10mm