Williamite Foot at the Boyne, uniform colours

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
BerkshireJacobite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Williamite Foot at the Boyne, uniform colours

Post by BerkshireJacobite » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:52 pm

I am planning to build in miniature the armies of both sides at the Battle of the Boyne.
I need information on the uniforms of the Williamite foot regiments present.
Can anyone supply this information or links to on-line sources?
BerkshireJacobite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Williamite Foot at the Boyne, uniform colours

Post by BerkshireJacobite » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:46 pm

Graf Bretlach has, very kindly, supplied numbers for the Williamite forces. Has anyone got uniform information?
quindia
General
General

Re: Williamite Foot at the Boyne, uniform colours

Post by quindia » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:52 pm

There is tons of unit info scattered around this forum. Just search individual units and you will find all kinds of information here.

One of the problems with presenting definitive lists for this period is that many units, especially on the Jacobite side, are simply not known and we are left to speculate (indeed, some Jacobite units may have fought in civilian coats). Accounts often differ as well and the wargamer is left with the choice of two or more different uniforms and sometimes it will simply come down to personal preference. There are half a dozen Williamite units on my site at Quindia Studios, with more on the way. Again, Ray (of the Jacobite pike to shot ratio) has painted the armies for both sides in 15mm and his site is a good place to get started.

We are working on a book for next year that will attempt to chart out all of the uniform information for the campaign so I won't simply list all of the data here, but I don't have access to secret sources. All of the information I gathered came from published material or this forum!