Pendraken 10mm LOA range

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
BerkshireJacobite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Pendraken 10mm LOA range

Post by BerkshireJacobite » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:56 pm

I would welcome any comments and/or recommendations on the Pendraken 10mm LOA range. I am planning to build the armies of the Boyne.
markdo
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Pendraken 10mm LOA range

Post by markdo » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:09 pm

My mediaeval armies are Pendraken. 10mm is cheaper to build than 15mm and money is important these days.
I don't have any of the LOA figures from them, but looked at them last year and thought the detail incredible.
What actually put me off was uncertainty about the basing size to use with 10mm figures.

I look forward to seeing you post pictures as the army builds up. Good luck!

Mark
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:50 am

Pendraken are nice crisp castings & whilst I have not got any of there LoA range those I have got are well proportioned & well detailed without there being too much over scale detail which I personally loathe.

As for base sizes I would use the sugested ones for 15mm & increase the number of figures on them as this would make them look more like blocks of troops. I have done this & seen it done with 15mm on 28mm sized bases & it looks rather well if you double the number of figures on a base.
For 10mm on 15mm sized bases for this period I would be inclined to do three ranks of four rather than two ranks of three. I know this ups the price a bit but checking the website you are still getting an infantry unit for about a fiver (five GBP) & I would just double up the numbers for horse & keep guns as singles just put a few more crew & labourers on the bases.

:evil: Ginger
tbarkowski
Private
Private

Post by tbarkowski » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:17 am

I am really a huge 10mm wargaming proponent. Started in 2007 as I had moved to a location where there were only 4 war gamers locally and to get to the next closest addict required 4.5 hours of travel half of which by boat!

I came from an area rife with gamers. We all painted units and they went on the table and only a few gamers had enough to game with their figures exclusively. We games 28mm, 20mm, 15mm every period imaginable but mostly 28s.

My 10 battalions of English WSS troops now meant nothing. I decided to give 10s a shot. I bought a few bags of WSS both of Pendraken and Old Glory. They both painted nicely and very quickly.

I bought a ton of them. WSS, Ancients, WW2, FPW, 2nd boer War, WW1, AWI and more if I think about it more. I could paint full armies, both sides, do them fast and game with or without the other 3 guys getting excited enough to paint the period or not.

I have 10s of thousands, mostly Pendraken. By and large I love MOST of the lines they do. however you must realize a couple of things. They make figures for damn near EVERY and ANY period you can imagine and if they don't, they soon will. Given that, they employ several sculptors accomplish this. They make lines that just blow me away with the sculpting detail, pose variation and animation and others range from ho hum and uninspired (mostly older ranges) to terribly frustrating for me to paint to my satisfaction.

IMHO you simply can't say Pendraken is good or bad. There are lines that get rave reviews and I simply can't stand painting them, others that I can crank out up to 45 figures an hour that please me to no end.

There AWI range is most certainly the later in my books. These don't paint quite at that rate for me but the detail is amazing. Who's the sculptor? Clibinarium, the same dude that does Barry's Glorious Revolution 28s. He is quite simply my favorite sculptor at this time.

Pendraken LOA figures are two different lines. The old line is ho hum to me. The new line? Well guess who sculpted it? Yup....Clibinarium and although I have just a few of them they are fantastic.

The reason I've only bought a few is quite simple. I still do paint 28s. I just have to be a lot more selective about what I pick to paint, as I need to own the whole shooting match with my projects now and that means big bucks in making that commitment and lots of bench time to boot when I go in that direction.

So when I learned that he was doing the Wargames Miniature line, I decided to sell my house and buy Barry's line to build 25-30 battalions and 40-50 squadrons for each side.

If I would have decided to keep my house, I would have bought Clibs 10mm LOA without question.

A word of caution though. If you haven't painted 10s en masse before try doing a 100 or so first. They require a completely different painting strategy and style than 28s and some people either never get it or can't enjoy the work. To me 28mm is art while 10mm is manufacturing. I can get zen painting either yet I need to employ a different a mindset for each.

Cheers,

Tim
Tim
Ben Waterhouse
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Ben Waterhouse » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:22 am

Nice reply Tim, especially the last paragraph.

I have both 10mm from Pendraken and 28mm from Warfare; and they are both exquisitely sculpted by the same fine artist, Our Clib.
Arma Pacis Fulcra

God, War, Drink.
Chad
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Chad » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:59 pm

The range consists of infantry only at present. And like many Pendraken enthusiasts, I am waiting patiently for the cavalry and artillery.

Modelling is excellent.

Suggest you join Pendraken Forum to keep in touch with releases and developments.

Chad