Dutch army 1688

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
markdo
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Dutch army 1688

Post by markdo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:08 pm

When the Dutch invaded England, were all their infantry armed with matchlocks and apostles?

As a follow up, I use 15mm: would the world and his wife be scornful if I included figures which were armed with the wrong sort of musket?
(I have some non-apostle figures to use up).

Mark
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Dutch army 1688

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:38 pm

markdo wrote:When the Dutch invaded England, were all their infantry armed with matchlocks and apostles?

As a follow up, I use 15mm: would the world and his wife be scornful if I included figures which were armed with the wrong sort of musket?
(I have some non-apostle figures to use up).

Mark
Mark,
we all face the problem that many of our figures don't fit exactly to the purpose but after all, IT IS A GAME that we are playing here and not a competition for who has the most accurate figures..... funny thing is that I am from the sort Barry calls the 'button up'-faction what means that I am allways try to get the most historical looking figures :wink: :D

Cheers,
Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:40 am

i would have thought that the dutch would have had flintlock's.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:00 am

turrabear wrote:i would have thought that the dutch would have had flintlock's.

Sorry,
That is a question others in this forum may answer because I dont know :oops: and because I don't posess this historical background knowledge.
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
markdo
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by markdo » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:21 am

I would have thought flintlocks, too. I seem to remember the Dutch as being quite modern at that time.
When I read up the other night I saw a couple of references, eg in From Pike to Shot, to bandoliers and my little brain (normally filled with Wars of the Roses these days) immediately pictured apostles dangling from them. :oops:

Mark
Motorway
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Motorway » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:33 pm

Troops could use both types of musket, as the period around 1688 was a transition period.

Marines and grenadiers were armed with flintlocks earlier (from around 1672). I have posted an article from the Navorscher on my blog about this issue (http://rampjaar.blogspot.nl/2009/12/mus ... s-and.html) but the article is in Dutch. The article states that around 1688 matchlocks still were used. Elite regiments like the Garde Regimenten probably had flintlocks.
markdo
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by markdo » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:23 pm

Many thanks, Motorway.

Mark
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:45 pm

so would the dutch regiment's in ireland have used flintlock's or matchlock's.
Motorway
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Motorway » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:31 pm

turrabear wrote:so would the dutch regiment's in ireland have used flintlock's or matchlock's.
It could be both, but given the presence of the Dutch Guards Regiments the percentage of flintlocks would be relatively higher. Note that the "flintlocks", could easily be converted matchlocks rifles.

More info in dutch by the dutch army museum from their yearbook 23:

http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=& ... 5884,d.d2k

According to this article the Dutch Guards Infantry Regiments, the Dutch Dragoons and Dutch Cavalry all had flintlocks.

and a reconstruction here:

http://www.collectie.legermuseum.nl/str ... 04938.html
Rebel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rebel » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:54 am

Motorway has the right of it.

Transitional, but with the more high profile units having the better kit.

Take the English - When William disbanded the last of James' foot regiments he put all of the equipment in storage and had to reissue it to his own newly raised troops for 1689/90.

MIke.