british infantry standards battle of malpplaquet 1709

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
turrabear
Major General
Major General

british infantry standards battle of malpplaquet 1709

Post by turrabear » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:20 pm

can any one help me as i'm desperatly trying to find information on the standards of the british infantry regiments that took part in the battle of malplaquet in 1709
Churchill
General
General

Re: british infantry standards battle of malpplaquet 1709

Post by Churchill » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:40 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:06 pm

Churchill wrote:Hi Turrabear,

As you probably know, I've done all the British infantry flag's (both colonel & regimental) for Blenheim 1704.
At this time there was no union between England & Scotland and so most English regiments carried the Cross of St.George where as the Scottish regiments carried the white saltire of St.Andrew on a blue field.
Colonel's flag's usually had something to do with his family crest or a emblem where the regiment was raised.
Most of my flag's come from the colour plates produced by Robert Hall, which I purchased some years ago from the "Pike & Shot Society".
In 1707 both England and Scotland formed the treaty of union which combined the two flag's.
Below you can see a typical regimental flag after the union was formed.

Ireland would not join the union for almost another hundered years in 1801.

Sorry I can't be of more help,

Ray.

P.S. Might I suggest "MALPLAQUET 1709: Scott, C 240p. Mint paperback Latest in Partizan Press' Marlburian Wars series." from Caliver Books.
thanks for that churchill .i already have the malplaquet book i read some where that all the union flags would have had the queen's chyper on them and even in 1709 noyt all british regiments carriede the union flag . don't know if you could confrim this by any chance.
simon boulton
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by simon boulton » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:25 pm

There are a surprising number of regiments that we have no flag details from this period for. Maybe it's because not many got taken in battle :)

The warflag site has a number of British flags including some generic types that might be useful.
Arthur
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Arthur » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:15 pm

turrabear wrote:thanks for that churchill .i already have the malplaquet book i read some where that all the union flags would have had the queen's chyper on them and even in 1709 noyt all british regiments carriede the union flag . don't know if you could confrim this by any chance.
It's also worth bearing in mind that regimental colours were very expensive items which were not replaced until they were completely worn out.

Since the treaty of union between England and Scotland was ratified in 1707, it is dubious that the new colours were introduced before 1708 at the earliest, and it seems likely that units whose stands of colours were in good condition did not replace them until at least a couple of years after the treaty was signed. I haven't researched the subject properly so take what I'm writing with a pinch of salt, but I wouldn't be surprised if some regiments carried their older pattern colours until at least 1709 or 1710, and possibly even the end of the war.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:17 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simon boulton

Post by simon boulton » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:54 pm

I believe the regiment Navarre also went into battle after Blenheim with just the flagpole and no colours rather than have them replaced