Basic command structure of WSS unit

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
eboracomb
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Basic command structure of WSS unit

Post by eboracomb » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:02 am

I am in the process of remoulding my WSS figures with the intention of selling them in multiples of 6 at a discounted rate and was interested in gamers idea's as to what the basic composition of a command blister should be,my idea is to have a basic command blister of 6 figures then multiples of 6 musketeers some packs with additional grenadiers so you can easily build units of 12,18 or 24 figures at a discounted price.
This fits perfectly with my prefered method of moulding 12 figures at a time and will save time and energy in production.
My first thoughts were 1 officer,2 officer/ensigns,1 drummer,2 grenadiers,or 1 officer,2 officer/ensigns,2 drummers and 1 sergeant any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Nick
Ben Waterhouse
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Basic command structure of WSS unit

Post by Ben Waterhouse » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:11 am

2 Ensigns, 2 Ozzifers, 1 Serjeant and 1 Drummer!
Arma Pacis Fulcra

God, War, Drink.
simon boulton
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by simon boulton » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:42 am

Hi Nick,
I would agree with Ben, two officers, two ensigns, one sergeant and one drummer.

The idea of including two grenadiers is a good one too but then won't it mean you would have to offer lots of different command sets to match the pose of the ordinary infantryman?
Best wishes,
Simon
Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Russian James » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:15 pm

My preference would be 2 ensigns, 1 officer, 2 drummers and 1 serjeant...

Each to their own! :wink:
footslogger
Major
Major

Post by footslogger » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:36 pm

Ben Waterhouse wrote:2 Ensigns, 2 Ozzifers, 1 Serjeant and 1 Drummer!
+1
Arthur
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Arthur » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:27 pm

Seconded.

Unless Paul can be persuaded to do a fifer figure which can be included in the command pack.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.
eboracomb
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by eboracomb » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:38 pm

Arthur how common were fifers,were they used in most regiments or did certain nationalities have them and others not,I can understand how drums would be used to convey commands and the sound would carry but would fifers be used that way or were they just musical as it seems unlikely that a fife would carry over the noise of battle.

cheers Nick
Rohan Wilmott

Post by Rohan Wilmott » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:06 am

Problems with my server this end meant 2 replies submitted = deleted
Cheers, Rohan.
Last edited by Rohan Wilmott on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rohan Wilmott

Post by Rohan Wilmott » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:07 am

Hello, Nic.

I would prefer 1 officer, 2 Ensigns, 1 sergeant, 1 drummer & 1 musketeer. I would change that to 1 fifer instead of the musketeer if such a figure were available. That would best fit my current command base requirements. I agree that grenadiers should not be in the command pack option. My second choice would be the 2 officer, 2 ensign, 1 sergeant, 1 drummer option.

I note that the number of Grenadiers in pictures of units units posted on the forum vary between 0, 2, 3, 4 and even occasionally 6. I personally usually use 2, or 3 if there is a very nice grenadier Officer or NCO figure. So really these could be ordered separately unless you choose to do 2 different "rank & file" packs - one of 2 grenadiers & 4 musketeers and the other of 6 musketeers.

The other option would be simply a pack of 6 musketeers and a pack of 6 grenadiers at the discounted rate - if players are ordering a brigade, then the 6 grenadiers would be used over 2 - 3 units, or could be the basis of a converged grenadier unit. Chaps only wanting to order 1 unit could order 2 single grenadier figures I guess.

Cheers, Rohan.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:13 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:23 am

eboracomb wrote:Arthur how common were fifers,were they used in most regiments or did certain nationalities have them and others not,I can understand how drums would be used to convey commands and the sound would carry but would fifers be used that way or were they just musical as it seems unlikely that a fife would carry over the noise of battle.

cheers Nick
Nick,
I may only offer knowledge of one specific country but it may have been common use in the german armies of this times:
(This was taken/copied from Dan Schorr's 'Notes on the Saxon Army 1700-1716')
Beneath the Staff Organisation of a Saxon Infantry Regiment 1705.
Regimental Staff – 31
2 Obersten (including the Inhaber)
1 Oberstlieutenant
2 Majors
1 Quartiermeister
1 Adjutant
1 Auditeur
1 Feldprediger
1 Regiments- Feldscheer with 8 assistants
4 Gefreitenkorporal
8 Hautboisten
1 Profos

Sixteen Company Staffs – consisting of:
11 Kapitäns (Captains – one for each of the nonstaff
officer companies)
1 Kapitänlieutenant (Inhaber’s company)
15 Lieutenants (one in each of the other
companies)
5 Souslieutenants (one in each of the staff officer
companies)
16 Fähnrichs(Colour bearer)
16 Feldwebel
16 Sergeanten
16 Fouriere
32 Tambours
16 Knecht

All together there have been 40 drummers/tambours/Oboists and no Fifers at all. It would heavily dependend on the Ruleset used and give 1(1:40) or 2 (1:20) Drummers.

Only one of the above Companies have been Grenadiers so you would have less then 1/10th Grenadiers with each unit, like Ray has it in his English Troops, what would give 1 or 2 Figures with a units of 18 up to 24 figures each. Here again the Ruleset used gives the numbers of Grenadiers.

Hope that helps
Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Ben Waterhouse
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Ben Waterhouse » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:14 am

eboracomb wrote:Arthur how common were fifers,were they used in most regiments or did certain nationalities have them and others not,I can understand how drums would be used to convey commands and the sound would carry but would fifers be used that way or were they just musical as it seems unlikely that a fife would carry over the noise of battle.

cheers Nick
In the British Army there were fifes from the time of Henry VIII, though not officially on strength until after our era. Even now fifers (such as me in a past life) are appointed as Drummers in the British Army.

Best
Ben
Arma Pacis Fulcra

God, War, Drink.
Motorway
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Motorway » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:10 am

The States' Army had two drummers per company in this period. "Hoboist" were considered to be a luxury and in 1687 William III ordered specifically for the english and scottish regiments that hoboist could only be hired by the colonel when the captains agreed.

De Wilde reports that the Garde Regiments did have hoboist, in 1733 the Garde te Voet had around nine.

(My source: http://www.collectie.legermuseum.nl/sit ... mering.pdf )
Arthur
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Arthur » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:36 am

Wot my esteemed fellow posters said. In most armies, fifers/oboeists do not even appear on company rosters, but many regiments had a few of these worthies.

Actually, my suggesting the addition of a fifer to the range was less prompted by a craving for historical accuracy than the mundane and slightly childish fact that they look cool and unusual within a unit (never underestimate the 'oooh shiny' factor :D )
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:51 am

Arthur wrote:............never underestimate the 'oooh shiny' factor :D )
That brings back memories of a little two legged, bouncing beast digging up shinies.... :lol: :wink:

On the other hand I 'm with you about the Fifers.
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.