cross over period for headwear in French Guards

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
raggedroyalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

cross over period for headwear in French Guards

Post by raggedroyalist » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:32 am

Hi All,
a silly question, I facny painting up some of the EBor Garde Francais, but giving them pike too.
My rational is that they are for a French Army circa 1698 ish, and bearing in mind the French would be in the van guard of all things fashionable, would it be reasonable to assume that the guard units would be amongst the first to recieve/adopt/evolve thier head gear into tricornes?

thanks

Chas
Arthur
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: cross over period for headwear in French Guards

Post by Arthur » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:28 pm

The French appear to have been among the first to ---- their broad-brimmed hats into something approaching a tricorn. Engravings from the mid-1690's - especially those by Guérard below - show French troops circa 1695 with their hat brims turned up :

The biggest problem with the Ebor figures would not be be their headgear but the accoutrements they are wearing. Paul Hicks very accurately sculpted his WSS Gardes Françaises with the belly box that became standard from 1701 onward. It is not known when the ventral cartridge box was introduced exactly - some authors claim the switch began during the early to mid-1690's - but canonical depictions of the Gardes Françaises in the 1690's invariably show them with their powder horn and bullet bags suspended from a shoulder belt and covered with a leather flap like this :

If you can live with that accoutrement issue, the Ebor figures will be fine.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.
raggedroyalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by raggedroyalist » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:20 pm

Thanks Arthur, this has been a great help

I'll post pics when do

cheers again

Chas
simon boulton
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by simon boulton » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:23 pm

Arthur,
Some superb images there, slightly off top but it made me think that a few camp follows would make a nice vignette, maybe an idea for a future pack from Warfare? :)