Anglo-Dutch Cavalry Brigades

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
MNFS
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Anglo-Dutch Cavalry Brigades

Post by MNFS » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:34 am

Hi All,

Where the English Life Guards and Horse Guards and the Dutch Garde du Corps and Gardes te Paard brigaded together into a guard cavalry brigade, or mixed with line cavalry regiments?

Best,

Mark
wdrenth
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: Anglo-Dutch Cavalry Brigades

Post by wdrenth » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:53 pm

hi Mark,

For the NYW, the Dutch Garde te Paard fought in Ireland, and stayed in England until 1699. The English Royal Regiment of Horse did practically the same.

As for the Life Guards, the Dutch troop is found listed together with the English troops in Flanders. So, yes, probably they were brigaded together, and operated as such. The Dutch troop was actually on the English Establishment, until 1699, and was ranked as the 4th troops of life guards.

During the WSS, the English Life Guards and Royal Regiment of Horse kept themselves cozy in England/London :-)

cheers,
Wienand
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:19 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simon boulton
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by simon boulton » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:46 pm

If your interested in the WSS period, I'll have a look at the OOB's for the Dutch guard units, I seem to recall that they were brigades with other Dutch cavalry regiments.

Whilst it is true that most regiments in this period were known by their colonels name, this wasn't always the case and certainly the guard regiments tended to be known by the regimental title
MNFS
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by MNFS » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:26 am

Thanks again guys!

My 15mm Leauge of Augsburg Anglo-Dutch army is nearly finished and I hope to have the pictures up in the next couple of weeks.

Best,

Mark