Dark Blue Uniforms

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Theo Raykoske
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Dark Blue Uniforms

Post by Theo Raykoske » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:15 pm

Hi Guys,

I see in the 2nd Edition of BLB some very attractively painted dark blue uniforms. That is, the base coat seems to be a kind of Prussian Blue but the highlight is brighter than the blues I have in my paint collection. Is it one of the Vallejo colours? I think I can see it on the new Swedish cavalry in the "Warfare Miniatures" pages here, too. Anyone able to help me out? I want my Gardes Francaises to stand out from the other blue coats in the army.

Incidentally (?), I found the painting guides at the back of BLB and the army guides scattered through the book helpful and inspiring! My thanks to the contributors.

Theo
quindia
General
General

Re: Dark Blue Uniforms

Post by quindia » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:42 pm

Can you post the pages of the specific photos you are asking about? Then we can figure out who the guilty party is and help out!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:46 pm

Hello Theo, I guess BLB2 reached you OK then! If you can be a little more specific on the the actual figures wearing blue I will see if I can help. The Swedes were done in GameColor Night blue lightened afterwards with some medium then light blue.

We are currently sculpting the Gardes Francaises/Suisses. They will be ready later in the Spring.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Theo Raykoske
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Theo Raykoske » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:35 pm

Guys,

Dashing out the door just now. Will look up the pages and get back to you ... both.

Theo

PS Who makes those colours?
Theo Raykoske
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Theo Raykoske » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:51 pm

Guys,

Page 78 regts Holle & Dohne, page 48 regt Groningen, page 22 regt Earl of Bath. I've seen it elsewhere on this site recently, a shot depicting what I think were French Gardes but I'm not sure. I'll try to serach for the 'reference'.

Best Wishes

Theo
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:29 pm

Think those are Barry's... :D
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:12 am

I picked up a great tip a few years ago which was about the overall density of large areas of colour. That is, not to contrast it all all but paint it flat. Baths are a good example of that. Painted in Game Color Night Blue(By Vallejo), washed in Night Blue plus black(making it even darker) and then highlighted in the flat Night Blue again. When viewed against high contrast cuffs, leggings etc it looks well. Holle are done the same but then WITH a highlight which is just a portion of white mixed into the Night Blue.Groningen were done by Brian Phillips I think. He'd be able to say bretter than I but the shade and density suggest the base colour is a very dark blue.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
footslogger
Major
Major

Post by footslogger » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:31 am

I didn't paint any of the figures in the book.

I will offer a suggestion about blue paint though. I have the Andrea blue set and it's the best paint I've ever used without exception. You can do a really dark blue or bring your blue up to a fairly nice medium blue that's still on the darker side. Great stuff.

This officer was painted with the Andrea blue set:
Theo Raykoske
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Theo Raykoske » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:20 pm

Guys,

Thanks for the sage opinions.

Best Wishes

Theo
Theo Raykoske
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Theo Raykoske » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:26 pm

Hi Guys,

For my current WIP (and first in a VERY long time!) I have experimrnted with Foundry 'French Blue' as shade and second colour then applied a highlight (reasonably heavy so that I could see it from 3-4 feet away) of Foundry 'Sky Blue' A. This gave me something of the 'brightness' I have been looking for. I am working on Front Rank French Gardes but am painting them up as Regiment du Roi. Hence the hunt for a dark but bright blue for the cuffs.

I have also experimented on this unit with the use of Foundry 'Orange' instead of any of the shades of gold. I was in effect seeking an 'aurore'. The orange is very bright but does highlight the lace on the officers' cuffs and the men's coats.

Hat lace I did in Foundry 'Yellow'.

Theo
footslogger
Major
Major

Post by footslogger » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:29 pm

Aurore, oh boy.

A couple you might want to experiment with at some point are the Foundry Chestnut colors and some of the shades around them on their pallette.
Theo Raykoske
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Theo Raykoske » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:01 pm

Thanks for the tip.

The idea for the aurore came as I was leafing through the Osprey on the Dragoons of Naploeon's Guard. I'd also been looking at the lace and trims of various figures and painters and in the end just took the plunge. My boys will win no prizes but I'm pleased with how it has made them look.

Best Wishes

Theo