Representing the Maison Du Roi Cavalry.

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
janbruinen
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: Representing the Maison Du Roi Cavalry.

Post by janbruinen » Tue May 07, 2013 5:40 am

Arthur,
according to Belhomme, the squadron of gendarmerie de la garde also had the mousqeton. The armament of the cheveau leger isn't mentioned but as all other had the mousqeton, I doubt they did not have them. As said, information by Belhomme.

Regarding the grenadiers, I doubt that a wider belt is such a problem in 25mm but I agree with the curved sword.
Arthur
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Arthur » Tue May 07, 2013 5:19 pm

I'd look into the matter more closely before accepting Belhomme's statement : all other sources emphatically describe both the Gendarmes and the Chevau-Légers de la Garde as armed with sword and pistols only, a contention that is supported by just about every pictorial representation I have come across :

Belhomme's book was published in 1895, which means it can't be considered a primary source. I'd need to check the text first to see what Belhomme's source was for this - if indeed he provides one. I don't have a copy of the book right now, but I'm seriously considering a purchase as reprints can be found cheaply on Amazon.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.
Graf Bretlach
Captain
Captain

Post by Graf Bretlach » Tue May 07, 2013 6:57 pm

Arthur

My extract from the contemporary OdB was not meant to imply the units mentioned were part of the garde, as it was an actual line of battle right to left I kept them for context to the garde, the 5 squadrons of carabiniers were just a small detachment, they were a massive setup and not actually regimented at this point (there were another 8 esc. under Luxembourg, same OdB)

don't no if Belhomme is always correct, certainly contemporary documents can have mistakes too, but this was a Paris published OdB.
janbruinen
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by janbruinen » Tue May 07, 2013 9:42 pm

Arthus,
I don't say that Belhomme is right but at least it isn't clear. The pictures you have showed are also from the (mid) 19th century so aren't primary sources too. At least I think they are from the series as shown here
http://www.geheugenvannederland.nl/?/in ... Gustave%22

And to be honest, I wouldn't care if the gendarmes and chevau-leger figures would have musqeton if in reality they did't have them., imho it's just a minor detail (but I'm primarily a wargamer)

greetings
Jan
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:23 pm

According to Robert Hall, the Gendarmes de la Garde du Roi had pistols and swords, but no carbines. The Chevaux-levers de la Garde du Roi had pistols and swords, but only 20 experienced trooper who drew pensions carried carbines. In both cases hats were decorated with white plumes and the coats had rather heavy lace.
janbruinen
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by janbruinen » Wed May 08, 2013 9:30 am

This picture shows rifle/musqueton
http://www.christ-roi.net/images/3/3f/G ... Mallet.JPG

But this in only one, so no evidence. I also don't know if this pictures shows the Maison du Roi gendarmes and CL or the Gendarmerie.

greetings
jan
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:41 am

janbruinen wrote:This picture shows rifle/musqueton
http://www.christ-roi.net/images/3/3f/G ... Mallet.JPG

But this in only one, so no evidence. I also don't know if this pictures shows the Maison du Roi gendarmes and CL or the Gendarmerie.

greetings
jan
The caption is a little hard to read, but the figures represent those of the MduR. It appears to say that "deux onze" carbines were carried in the front rank and on the flanks, but I may be misreading it.
Graf Bretlach
Captain
Captain

Post by Graf Bretlach » Wed May 08, 2013 6:45 pm

It reads

Les Gendarmes et Chevaux légers font partie de la maison du Roy et sont 2 Compagnies chacune de 240. Ils n’ont pour toutes armes que l’épée et le pistolet et toutes deux ont des carabiniers au premier rang et aux flancs de leurs escadrons. Les Gendarmes portent un justaucorps rouge galonné d’or et une coquard blanche à leur chapeau, et les Chevaux légers ont aussi un justaucorps rouge galonné d’or et d’argent et un plumet blanc sur leur chapeau

which isn't really that helpful, pistol and sword but no other weapons except some carabiniers in the front rank and on the flanks?
Arthur
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Arthur » Wed May 08, 2013 7:36 pm

Graf Bretlach wrote:pistol and sword but no other weapons except some carabiniers in the front rank and on the flanks?
Yes, exactly. The text makes it clear that the majority of the maîtres were armed with swords and pistols, carbines being only issued to a handful of picked men, as dflogleman2 explained above.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.
Arthur
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Arthur » Wed May 08, 2013 8:15 pm

janbruinen wrote:Arthus,
I don't say that Belhomme is right but at least it isn't clear. The pictures you have showed are also from the (mid) 19th century so aren't primary sources too. At least I think they are from the series as shown here
http://www.geheugenvannederland.nl/?/in ... Gustave%22

And to be honest, I wouldn't care if the gendarmes and chevau-leger figures would have musqeton if in reality they did't have them., imho it's just a minor detail (but I'm primarily a wargamer)

greetings
Jan
Hi Jan

Yes, the print I hotlinked isn't a period pic, but a later illustration which I used because I was in a hurry : I needed a visual reference and didn't have the time to sift through my files and look for a proper late C17th depiction. The pic you linked is a contemporary one, however : it is part of a series of engravings by Nicolas Guérard depicting the French army circa 1695 and as such is of invaluable help to us, although it does raise a few questions of its own.

One oddity in that print is the depiction of the musketoon, which actually isn't a musketoon at all : instead of a carbine slung from a shoulder belt, Guérard shows the Chevau-Léger carabinier armed with what appears to be a dragoon musket, slung barrel up with the stock resting in a boot attached to the saddle and typical of the dragoons. He also shows the same arrangement in another plate depicting the Gardes du Corps and Mousquetaires.

This may be a mistake on Guérard's part, though that would be odd as he was a meticulous artist (his line cavalry is invariably depicted wearing the correct shoulder belt and he clearly understood the difference between chevau-léger and dragoon accoutrements).

Back to the subject at hand, I personally prefer to see the Chevau-Legers and Gendarmes de la Garde sculpted without carbines as a/ this is how the majority of the troopers were actually equipped and b/ it differentiates them from the rest of the carbine-equipped Maison du Roi. But ultimately, it's up to Clibinarium to decide what is feasible and what makes economic sense.
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:59 pm

Yep, that's part of what I'm mulling over. Formations that are very small require the same amount of sculpting as those of large formations, but could be on the edge of being cost effective to do.
Interesting discussion, would love to see them produced.

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons