Regiment Bois D'avid, Luneburg-Zell

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
danschorr
Major
Major

Re: Regiment Bois D'avid, Luneburg-Zell

Post by danschorr » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:33 pm

Ray,

I’ve checked George Tessin’s “Die Regimenter der Europäischen Staaten im Ancien Regime des XVI. Bis XVIII Jahrhundrets” Teil 1 Die Stammlisten. In 1679 the Ohr zu Fuß Regiment (Hanover) was raised. It eventually became the Garde Regt in 1690 as I reported earlier. There is no listing for a corresponding Guard unit for Lüneburg-Celle.

I also checked Alexander Schwencke’s “Geschichte der Hannoverschen Truppen im Spanischen Erbfolgekriege 1701-1714”. In all cases, he shows both Guard battalions as Hanoverian.

Dan
Graf Bretlach
Captain
Captain

Post by Graf Bretlach » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:13 pm

I have to agree with Dan (although we are using the same sources) I am actually compiling regimental information on Hannover (& lots of others) at the moment, so I will post if I come across something, I did come across a celle'isch (Cellian haha) garde du corps (cavallerie) but they didn't survive the union.
The garde was originally formed with companies from Callenburg, Hannover & Osnabrück.

Oberstlieutenant von Rochow & Major de Sancé are listed as killed under the II bataillon.
it has also been stated the II btn took little part in the battle but they suffered more than any other Hannoverian unit. 176 K&W (I btn 77 K&W)

its all seems a minor point, but then it would have a big affect on the uniforms & colours at Blenheim.
Graf Bretlach
Captain
Captain

Post by Graf Bretlach » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:38 pm

Sorry one more, I just noticed Oberstlieutenant von Hitzfeld (I btn Garde) died of wounds received at the Schellenberg.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:47 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graf Bretlach
Captain
Captain

Post by Graf Bretlach » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:34 pm

Thank you Ray

The information provided is from Sichart, who names all the officer losses for both battles and also numbers rank & file K/W & M.

any uniform changes might well have taken till 1706 to go through, I have no more information on uniforms at the moment.

by St Pol's brigade you mean Luc/Breuil/Herlville/I Garde as strictly speaking generalmajors did not have brigades but could assume command of part/all or more than one during an engagement.

In most armies (except the Austrian) a brigade would be commanded by a brigadier with a brigade-major for help, both drawn from regiments within the brigade normally.

In the original camp order of battle there were 3 brigades of 4/5/4 under brigadiers Hülsen/Bernstorff/Hülsen obviously Hülsen didn't command both so unfortunately leaves a bit of a problem, one of the Garde officers remains a possibility (one from I btn was a brigade-major)

actual brigade structures during the battle will always be up for debate.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:14 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danschorr
Major
Major

Post by danschorr » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:06 am

First, additional information on the uniform of Celle Regiment Boisdavid/de Luc. Golberg and Kühn relied on Sichart for the the white(light grey) coat faced green. Sichart indicates that the regiment had this uniform beginning in 1680. His next entry indicates a red coat first in 1706. Other sources such as the Tilroy (1689) and Gerpines (1690) lists indicate a white (light grey) coat faced red. (So take your pick.)

Second, a white/light grey coat was common among Celle infantry units prior to 1706. Others are listed in Sapherson’s “The Dutch Army of William III”, and Belaubre suggests a few other units that probably wore white (light grey) faced blue. The union of Celle with Hanover did not occur until 1705, so the appearance of a red coat for most Celle units probably did not occur until after that date.

As for flags, only one flag in Belaubre and Golberg in post-1700, that of Celle Regt de Charles captured at Spire 1703. All of the others are from the Nine Years War. Kühn apparently relied on Sichart (Vol 2) for his flag descriptions. Unfortunately, Sichart does not provide any details as to when these patterns were first introduced. Although, we are familiar with these as SYW patterns, they were quite possibly introduced much earlier. The Triomphes Loius XV contains a Hanoverian colour captured during the WAS that has the same pattern as the later SYW colour. In my opinion, these patterns were introduced some time after 1705 and the union with Celle. Obviously, more research needs to be done in the archives, which, by the way, is underway; although it doesn’t help at present.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:34 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maciek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by maciek » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:04 pm

There is a painting
Die Revue der kurhannoverschen Armee bei Bemerode 1735,
showing Hanover army in great detail:

There's a book about this painting:
http://shop.wgm-rastatt.de/products-pag ... rode-1735/

Maybe close examine of painting could help to find the answer if "SYW flags" were in use as early as 1735 ?
Maciek

http://zealandbayonets.blogspot.com/
wargaming in 10mm
Graf Bretlach
Captain
Captain

Post by Graf Bretlach » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:14 pm

Hi Ray

Yes I have been following your posts with interest, very impressed with your output, I might be asking for some photo's from you for a project i'm doing later.

I asked about the brigade content because there are so many variations around, very few hard facts are available for this and earlier periods.

Uniforms & flags
My thoughts are for Celle'sch units they could be quite different upto and slightly after the union, although there has always been family ties between the two states, I also think it is possible that other major uniform changes happened after George I was crowned king, then again a lot of countries made significant changes between the WAS and SYW.

Bleckwenn's Reiter, Husaren und Grenadiere (1734) shows uniforms closer to the SYW than WSS also Maciek's picture in this thread (1735)

interesting thread, there are some good contributors on this forum .

cheers
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:59 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maciek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by maciek » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:37 pm

New post on my blog.
I'm afraid it won't help you, Ray :(
Maciek

http://zealandbayonets.blogspot.com/
wargaming in 10mm
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:36 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:14 am

It is & Google Translate seems to work for Polish as its a language I can't quite get by in :(

:evil: Ginger
Graf Bretlach
Captain
Captain

Post by Graf Bretlach » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:58 pm

maciek, I tried to order the book about the painting and another book but delivery seems to be only Germany/Austria/Switzerland any idea how I can get this?