A question about the inside of the coat .

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Belg
Major
Major

A question about the inside of the coat .

Post by Belg » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:36 pm

Hi,
in the Osprey's book " Marlborough 's Army 1702-11 ", in table C is depicted a Grenadier of the 1st Foot Guards . In the drawing I have noted that the inner part of the coat is of blue color as the lapel of the sleeves. It may therefore be a lining. Or not?
Looking at some pictures of painted miniatures posted in this forum , however I noticed that the inside of coats are often of the same color as the exterior .
In your opinion , which of the two hypotheses is it correct?
The color of the lining of the cuffs was applied to the jackets of all , that even the Troopers, or it was it only for Officers or for some special units , such as the Grenadiers of the Guard ?
How did you color the interior of the coat , for the part that it is usually seen at the bottom, through the opening left unbuttoned ? As the facing color or as the coat ?

I thank those who can give me an help to solve this dilemma.
Greetings.
Sergio
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: A question about the inside of the coat .

Post by EvilGinger » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:13 pm

Theoretically the lining of the coat would be the same colour as the turn backs of the cuffs & the waistcoat was often made form the lining of the previous coat worn lining side out. However there is nothing to stop the lining being the same colour as the coat especially if it was a cheaper material then the coloured stuff showing at the cuffs, with the cuffs being a separate bit just lining the lower end of the sleeves. they where done like that in latter periods.

You also have to remember that regiments where largely owned as commercial operations by the colonel or other proprietor & paid for by the state and that the Proprietors profit was largely got by not spending all of this on outfitting his troops. So doing it on the cheap is the watchword here.

:evil: Ginger
Belg
Major
Major

Post by Belg » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:11 pm

EvilGinger wrote:Theoretically the lining of the coat would be the same colour as the turn backs of the cuffs & the waistcoat was often made form the lining of the previous coat worn lining side out. However there is nothing to stop the lining being the same colour as the coat especially if it was a cheaper material then the coloured stuff showing at the cuffs, with the cuffs being a separate bit just lining the lower end of the sleeves. they where done like that in latter periods.

You also have to remember that regiments where largely owned as commercial operations by the colonel or other proprietor & paid for by the state and that the Proprietors profit was largely got by not spending all of this on outfitting his troops. So doing it on the cheap is the watchword here.

Hi, EvilGinger,
Many thanks for your reply.
If I understand correctly, to save costs the lining was not put or it was in the same color of the coat.
I can then continue to paint the inside of the coat with the same color than the outside, as he also made our friend Churchill, as seen in some of the pictures of his miniatures who he has posted in the topic "Blenheim OOB":

:lol:
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:56 pm

Exactly & most of the time there is no definitive information to tell exactly which way such things where done at any given point so you pay's your money and takes your choice. This to me is one of the pleasures of this period there is enough evidence we have a clue were to start but not so much that the Wargames Fashion police have a leg to stand on.

Belg
Major
Major

Post by Belg » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:24 pm

EvilGinger wrote:Exactly & most of the time there is no definitive information to tell exactly which way such things where done at any given point so you pay's your money and takes your choice. This to me is one of the pleasures of this period there is enough evidence we have a clue were to start but not so much that the Wargames Fashion police have a leg to stand on.

O.K., thank you very mutch !!

:D
Graf Bretlach
Captain
Captain

Post by Graf Bretlach » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:21 am

Language polizia here

thank you very much :lol:
Belg
Major
Major

Post by Belg » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:03 pm

Graf Bretlach wrote:Language polizia here

thank you very much :lol:
O.K., "hank" you very much.
:mrgreen: