Huguenot Soldiers of William

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
PaulPatrick
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Huguenot Soldiers of William

Post by PaulPatrick » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:48 am

I recommend this book(if it hasn't been done already):-

"The Huguenot Soldiers of William of Orange and the Glorious Revolution of 1688; The Lions of Judah" by Matthew Crozier. Sussex Academic Press. 2008.

Apart from good background info, it gives comprehensive lists of all Huguenot regimental officers for Horse & Foot. Also good info on what happened to survivors of the war in Ireland.
wdrenth
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: Huguenot Soldiers of William

Post by wdrenth » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:03 pm

This book is indeed a good starting point for studying the Huguenot soldiers during the Nine Years' War, though Matthew Glozier (not Crozier), the author, misses some points in his final chapters. For instance, the Huguenots were not removed to Portugal after the NYW, but instead settled in Ireland. But on a whole this book is a must-have.

A very good companion, and discussing the Huguenots soldiers in broader European context, is War, Religion and Service: Huguenot Soldiering 1685 - 1713.

Furthermore, one important list for studying the Huguenot officers are the lists of Huguenot Pensioners on the Irish Establishment in 1699. I have reproduced this list, and ordered the officers by regiment, in my latest publication on the half-pay officers in 1699 (see http://drenthpublishing.nl/halfpay1699/halfpay1699.html).

Many of these pensioners found employ again after 1702, notably in the Huguenot brigade raised in 1706.

regards,
Wienand
PaulPatrick
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Huguenot Soldiers of William

Post by PaulPatrick » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:04 pm

Good leads. Many thanks. Paul.