Aughrim Book and Jacobite Grenadiers Question?

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
counterattack71
Private First Class
Private First Class

Aughrim Book and Jacobite Grenadiers Question?

Post by counterattack71 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:41 am

Hi Chaps,

Whilst reading the Mike McNally Aughrim book I came across a section that mentioned the thirteenth company of each regiment in the Jacobite forces being given muskets '...and equipped as Grenadiers where possible' (my emphasis).

Does this suggest that many of the regiments in the Jacobite Army were without a Grenadier company as I'm assuming? and if this is the case are there any sources which show which ones were without them?
http://whippedraw.blogspot.com/

"To understand the social processes and conflicts, the interplay between individual and group, even the physicality of human experience, we have the need of small scale models" - Will Self.
Rebel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Aughrim Book and Jacobite Grenadiers Question?

Post by Rebel » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:55 pm

That's exactly it - The T&OE stated that the 13th company should be equipped as grenadiers but the obvious equipment shortages meant that this would never occur in every regiment. Unfortunately there no known listings of which regiments did or did not have grenadiers, although a useful rule of thumb - as in uniform colours as well - would be for the pre-1689 regiments to have them, and to be in red coats etc etc, because as the "established" regiments, they would at least have received their initial kit during peace time. Once the war started and sources of supply became more limited, the chance became greater that the more exotic articles of kit would be more scarce, such as dragoon caps.

- Mike
Clibinarium
Major
Major

Post by Clibinarium » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:21 pm

For what its worth John Stevens noted that the Grand Prior's regiment had grenadiers with same motif on their caps as on the regiment's colours, a burning city with the motto "THE FRUITS OF REBELLION"
Rebel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rebel » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:13 pm

Exactly my point - The Regiment of the Lord Grand Prior (Henry Fitzjames) was one of the pre-1689 regiments, Fitzjames being appointed de jure colonel (with Nicholas Fitzgerald as Lt Colonel) upon King James' arrival from France.

- Mike

PS When I get time, will try to dig out which regiment this is on the 1685/89 army lists.
Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Russian James » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:17 pm

IIRC The Lord Grand Prior's was Ramsey's Regt until early '89...