The Great Northern War 1700-1721 pt 2

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:37 pm

More photos on the war on the main website in the gallery

http://grimsbywargamessociety.webs.com/

During the 30-years war Sweden had became a great power and it occuppied large territories in Livonia and Estonia along the Baltic coast and in Finland. Russia, at the beginning of Peter the Great's reign, was territorially a huge power, but with no access to the Black Sea, or to the Baltic Sea, and to win such an outlet became the main goal of Peter's foreign policy.

uploading pictures

Peter formed a great alliance with Saxony / Poland (Poland was at that time joined in a Union with Saxony) and Denmark, which started the Northern War in 1700.

screen capture freeware

Early in the war the Swedish king Charles XII defeated Peter (against 5 times numerically superior forces) at Narva on the Baltic coast. Instead of destroying the Russian army Charles XII turned against Poland in order to expell the Saxons and to insure the election of a friendly Polish king. Meanwhile Peter had restored his army and recaptured Narva.

images hosting

In 1708/9 Charles XII launched his Russian campaign from Poland. He allied himself with the Cossacks to liberate the Ukraine and advance on Moscow. The onset of winter, epidemics and Russian raids weakened the Swedish army, and Charles XII had to turn southwards.

upload an image

The Swedish and Russian armies clashed in the southern Ukraine where they fought a decisive battle at Poltava (1709). Peter personally prepared the battle : he transformed the battlefield by works of his engineers, who were ordered to erect redoubts in the paths of the Swedish troops to break their combat order, and to split them into little groups. The battle ended in total Swedish defeat and the wounded Swedish king had to escape to Turkey.

free picture upload

This was the first foreign catastrophe in Russia of modern times (as later by Napoleon and Hitler). Peter's victory at Poltava was followed by attacks on the Swedish possessions along the Baltic Sea with the result that Russia supplanted Sweden as the major power in the Baltic area.
chema1986
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: The Great Northern War 1700-1721 pt 2

Post by chema1986 » Fri May 02, 2014 10:43 am

Simply Awesome ! :shock:
Ulrich

Post by Ulrich » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:56 am

Very nice thread … I have just started scratching the surface of the Great Northern War. A friend of mine peaked my interest, as he wanted to do Russian. From what I have read so far … I am very content with being Swedish. It's time to re-write some history :wink:
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:22 pm

Very nice as always Malc, sorry I never got a chance to meet up with you at the show on Sunday.
Cheers
Dave
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:46 am

To be honest i was busy, talking then putting the rules around trade stands, i did see you and thought i would talk later to you but i kind of forgot .... sorry, i am going to the Leeds show