Facing Color for the 5th Foot?

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
raif
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Facing Color for the 5th Foot?

Post by raif » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:52 pm

Hi, i am looking for the color of the facings of the 5th Foot. I found several Informations. From Yellow/green to gosling green. How can i imagine gosling green - i am sorry but i can't find any information how looks gosling green?

Are there any images of these regiment?
Ben Waterhouse
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Facing Color for the 5th Foot?

Post by Ben Waterhouse » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:55 am

Hi Raif,

A sort of dull yellow green http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php? ... lour_Chart

Best
Ben
Arma Pacis Fulcra

God, War, Drink.
Ronan the Librarian
Captain
Captain

Post by Ronan the Librarian » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:54 am

In Elizabethan times it was known as "goose turd green" if that helps to fix the colour in your head. During the Napoleonic Wars, the then Colonel of the regiment hated it so much that he had the drummers and other musicians put into white coats, rather than the usual reversed colours (also, the sergeants had all-red sashes, without the central stripe of facing colour).
Ssshhhhh!!!!!
Ben Waterhouse
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Ben Waterhouse » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:31 am

Here's an actual uniform of the 5th (from a much later period!)

http://www.qmsmilitaria.com/viewphoto.php?x=1 defunct link...

Best
Ben
Last edited by Ben Waterhouse on Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arma Pacis Fulcra

God, War, Drink.
raif
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by raif » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:51 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for your help! Looks like a sort of olive green for me, with a touch of yellow.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:28 pm

Hi Raif,

It might help if you stated which period you wanted the information for as the facing colour changed over time.
The regiment did not become the 5th Foot until 1751 and would have been known before hand by the name of the colonel.
Raised in 1674 and known as "The Irish Regiment" and from 1684 "Holland Regiment" as it was in the service of the Prince of Orange.
1688 - 1694 Colonel Edmond Lloyd's Regiment of Foot and from 1694 - 1751(It's Colonel's name) Regiment of Foot.
Uniform Scarlet Red coat from 1688, Facings when raised Yellow, subsequently (sorry no date) changed to Green; in 1832 a "faded leaf" Green; afterwards (sorry again no date) White, and now (1900) Gosling-Green.

Notes-For defeating a French division of Grenadiers at Wilhelmstahl in 1762 it was granted the privilege of wearing Fusilier caps and also a white plume for gallantry at St.Lucia.

Hope this helps,

Ray.
raif
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by raif » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:27 am

Hi ray,

I am searching for the wss period for informations.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:22 am

Hi Raif,

I found some more information for you, first of all the name of the regiment, in 1702 it was commanded by Colonel Thomas Fairfax and on 5th February 1704 it past on to Colonel Thomas Pierce.
At the start of the WSS the regiment seem's to have been in Dublin, Ireland until the 22nd of May 1707 when it embarked from Cork to Portugal.
At the battle of Caya on the 7th May 1709 it served with great honour and continued to serve in Portugal and Spain until 1713.
I also found this...
https://archive.org/stream/cihm_48494#page/n21/mode/2up

Not sure if it will help you with the facing colour :wink:

Ray.
Ronan the Librarian
Captain
Captain

Post by Ronan the Librarian » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:09 am

Churchill wrote: Notes-For defeating a French division of Grenadiers at Wilhelmstahl in 1762 it was granted the privilege of wearing Fusilier caps and also a white plume for gallantry at St.Lucia.
These caps became a source of contention during the American War of Independence, when the 5th wore theirs at a Royal birthday parade (possibly the Queen's) in Philadelphia. The Colonel of the 5th at that time was Lord Percy, who was not on good terms with Sir William Howe, who was C-in-C in North America, but also Colonel of the 23rd Foot (Royal Welch Fusiliers) who had put their caps into storage and were unable to wear them, parading in simple cocked hats.
Ssshhhhh!!!!!