Uniforms of The Nine Years War

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Sir Royston Papworth
Private
Private

Uniforms of The Nine Years War

Post by Sir Royston Papworth » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:04 pm

Hi,

First post, although I've spent a while lurking on the forum.

Long time interest in the period from way back in the '80s with those Hallmark figures has lead to the usual set of uniform books/references that probably most of you have, the set of Sapherson's books, The Army of James II, those Mark Allen WI articles, plus Grant's Pike and Shot book, with perhaps a smattering of others.

Never got around to collecting a full army in the period, as a mate of mine wanted to 'do' the period in the early '90s. Needless to say I am still waiting to play a game, so have decided to take the plunge myself. Hoping to collect a number of armies, but going to start with the NYW in Ireland.

What I'd like to know (particularly for Ireland) is whether research has moved on from these rather elderly tomes and is there another book(s) I should look to get?

Particular issues are the French should knots, who gets them, what colour and is it one or two?
Cartridge cases or apostles? For British I think in 1690 I can comfortable give most units apostles, likewise the Jacobites, but what about James' Guards?

I was going ask about those Derry regiments and their flags and uniforms, but I understand that is a whole new kettle of fish... :oops:

Sorry for asking too many questions, but thanks for any help!

Cheers!
quindia
General
General

Re: Uniforms of The Nine Years War

Post by quindia » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:23 am

Welcome to the forum! You have come to the right place. Actually Mark Allen's articles are still one of the best references around. We compiled a reading list a while back on the LoA blog with old and new books you might find interesting (most are still frustrating light on uniform details)...

Reading List

There are lots of other useful articles there as well (just i case you haven't stumbled on it yet).

Another useful tool here on the forum is the search function. Enter a unit you're looking for information on and it is likely, especially in the Irish theater, that we've discussed the topic.

Please don't think I'm directing you to the search engine to tell you not to bother us with questions, but you inquiry was very broad. There are folks willing to wade in and help with anything you need (or direct you where to find the information), but targeted questions and threads are better!

Again, welcome to the forum and hopefully the reading lists turns up some books you haven't seen...
Sir Royston Papworth
Private
Private

Post by Sir Royston Papworth » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:04 pm

Thanks for that Clarence.

I seem to have a depressingly large number of those titles already... :oops:

There are a couple that will be purchased very soon though... :D

I've made a suggestion of one title to go one the list which is of relevance to our period.

I've already spent a fair time searching the forum looking for uniform information. I suppose I am really looking to find out if there are any new publications out there that will become a golden source for the NYW period. It seems until Barry comes up with one, what I have seems to still be valid.

Cheers!
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:49 pm

Yes, this can be a frustrating period at times. However, if you can't find the information you are looking for here, it is a good bet that we really don't know this or that detail. You can infer some things from the convention of the period and other stuff you can paint to suit your own collection.

It still hurts to ask, because some of the people here may have access to resources beyond what is commonly available!