Dutch Flags

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Jeff78
Private First Class
Private First Class

Dutch Flags

Post by Jeff78 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:06 pm

Anyone know any sources beyond the Hall CD for Dutch LOA/WSS flags? I've thought about looking for a copy of Trophees De La Guerre De Succession D'Espagne, 1700-1713, but don't want to spend the money if it's already covered by Hall. Hard to believe that such a major participant is so poorly documented.
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Re: Dutch Flags

Post by turrabear » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:20 am

I have copy of copy of trochees de la guerre de succession d'espange by p.foure and ch.terana and if its the same book that you are on about it only contains information on French and Spanish flags.
SteveRCR
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by SteveRCR » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:07 pm

I wish more Dutch flags were made in 28mm, seems to be a patch work of flags out about from differant company's minus warfare which focused on The Regt's in Ireland for the LoA period.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:30 pm

Hi,

maybe if you scroll down to the bottom of this page

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/nl%5Ecolst.html#17

you may find suitable literature for those flags.

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:34 am

SteveRCR wrote:I wish more Dutch flags were made in 28mm, seems to be a patch work of flags out about from differant company's minus warfare which focused on The Regt's in Ireland for the LoA period.
if you send your designs to maverick models then he will make them up for you. I've sent him drawings of the dutch flags from the hall book and he made them up.
Jeff78
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jeff78 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:21 am

Thank you all appreciate the responses. Looks like the Belaubre books may be the single best source. The few makers of 28mm LOA/WSS flags do the same 12 regiments (infantry) so I'm curious to see if there's more out there. Seems four different volumes just on the Dutch would produce more than the same 12 units.
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:33 pm

I am a bit confused by your understanding that the Hall work has only 12 flags. By my count there are flags, some conjectural, for 64 of the 81 plates for the infantry regiments. Admittedly, some are for Scots, Swiss, etc.
Jeff78
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jeff78 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:29 am

Yes you are quite correct, much more than the 12 I stated. I am interested in those flags from the LOA/WSS time period. Some of the flags shown were taken were from the battle of Seneffe, 1674, while other came from the 1740s. Interestingly the foreign regiments, Scots and Swiss are better documented than the native Dutch units. It was the conjectural flags based of the Ath Camp that I found interesting. Appears to be three somewhat similar patterns (except for two that had small squares running diagonally across the flag). Was there an attempt at a rough standardization at the end of the century? The flags shown from the 1746 Triomphes have more in common with those know flags from the WSS period than with those earlier; flame in corners, large wreath around symbol (Lion usually) in the center. Some of the flags captured at Fleurus differ significantly from what's shown at Ath Camp, only six years later. Of course there are just enough known flags that are totally unique that it makes any discussion of standardization seem ridiculous. The Hall CD is excellent, but still much to learn.
Motorway
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Motorway » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:56 am

Standardisation of Dutch Flags came with the Batavian Republic in 1795 and even in that time period probably "older colours" were used.

Remember, a lot of flags captured by the French were destroyed when the Allies neared Paris in 1815, some of the historical collection of the Dutch Department of Defense was bombed in WW2 and another part of the collection at Castle Doorwerth was destroyed in the battle of Arnhem.