The Stuart's in Exile

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

The Stuart's in Exile

Post by obriendavid » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:36 am

BBC2 9pm tonight the start of a two part series on the Stuart Kings in exile and their threats to the British State, could be interesting.
Cheers
Dave
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Re: The Stuart's in Exile

Post by j1mwallace » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:29 am

Thought that this was well made. I do believe that the lady presenter was in the same camp as Barry , the not a supporter of Marlborough camp.
Quite the fence sitter was old Johnny ! .
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:54 am

I've not had a chance to see it yet!
Despite my best laid plans got dragged out to a dance party so I'm looking forward to catching it on iplayer.
Cheers
Dave
arthur1905
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by arthur1905 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:43 am

watched it last night, thank you for the heads up,
very well made, although interesting that they never mentioned the Irish campaign.
Mark
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Adam Hayes » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:15 am

arthur1905 wrote:watched it last night, thank you for the heads up,
very well made, although interesting that they never mentioned the Irish campaign.
Mark
Yeah I noticed that omission too, a bit odd. Irritating too that the War of Spanish Succession was labelled as a fight between Catholic and Protestant countries. I think the Austrians might have been quite surprised to find out that was the case...
Mulciber
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Mulciber » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:54 am

Hadn't caught it and was thinking of watching it on catch-up when it was complete. Less sure I'll bother now given a couple of the comments here.
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:46 am

Don't let the comments put you off . The programme is a broad brush approach, not made for us geeks. I thought that it was pretty good, a fairly easy watch and quite informative. A producer can never cover everything given that its just two parts spanning 75 plus years.
Mulciber
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Mulciber » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:34 pm

Thanks, now I'm a straw for every wind that blows...
I'll give it a go.
Ronan the Librarian
Captain
Captain

Post by Ronan the Librarian » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:32 pm

j1mwallace wrote:The programme is a broad brush approach, not made for us geeks. I thought that it was pretty good, a fairly easy watch and quite informative.
As someone who is far from being steeped in Jacobite lore, I found a lot of the information new to me (especially the post-'45 stuff on BPC himself), and so the series was worth watching overall.
j1mwallace wrote:A producer can never cover everything given that its just two parts spanning 75 plus years.
Fair point; however, I did find the complete absence of any mention of Jacobitism in Ireland a little perplexing, ditto the Spanish involvement in 1719, when there was actual fighting unlike in 1708.

Another negative was that she seemed to suggest that it was the English Parliament that wanted union, rather than the bankrupt/desperate Scots (in fact, many English MPs were opposed to the idea). Similarly, she managed to be pro-Jacobite, yet anti-Tory - despite the prominent support many Tories gave to the Jacobite cause. Ditto her focus on Marlborough's fence-hopping, yet no mention of the Earl of Mar being known as "Bobbing John" for the same behaviour.

On a more "health & safety" oriented point, I found it a little disturbing how much time she spent driving on the wrong side of the road when she was being filmed in Scotland!
Ssshhhhh!!!!!