My Review of the great northern war compendium

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

My Review of the great northern war compendium

Post by Gunfreak » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:41 am

My review of Great Northern War Compendium, I do hope those that read it will be able to decide if it's worth it for them.

http://apartmentofwar.blogspot.no/2016/ ... ndium.html
arthur1905
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: My Review of the great northern war compendium

Post by arthur1905 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:49 pm

Having had the books for a couple of weeks know, I would agree with your very detailed review.

thanks for posting

Mark
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:35 am

Thank You for this well written report.
The low point on this book is - once again - that they seemed to ignore the "german" side of the GNW-Resource completely. They even have not been able to write Dan Schorr's name correctly!
Dan's researches on this theme has been hampered by the Iron Curtain 20 Years ago but as this is long gone no researcher tries now to take advantage of it and take a look at the vast collection of notes and informations. Yes, I am talking about the Saxon State Archive SLUB.

The article about Schulenburg reads well but was not thoroughly researched as the writer states the reason for turning the coats of the Russians as "not trustworthy and easier to identify". The real reason for it was the Order by the Swedish King to kill all Russians found on Polish soil - what they actual did - as they took no Russian Prisoners. Schulenburg got wind of this order and, to protect them somehow, he ordered them to turn their Coats inside out. Also the Russian Troops have been low on Moral and Food because Saxony could not provide enough Provisions after 6 Years of Warfare for all Troops.
When 2500 Russians surrendered the Swedish Horse who surrounded them drew Swords and hacked them down. The Saxons were put in Chains and transferred to Sweden where most of them died as POWs by harsh Treatment.
It is much nicer to read about the Glory and Valor of the Swedish Empire as to read about the Dark Side of the Swedish style to make War.

My 2 cts,
Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:00 pm

According to Oscar Sjostrom's meticulously researched book on Fraustadt, there were 6500 prisoners from the Saxon army. 2400 prisoners who were "Bavarian," Swiss and French entered Swedish service. This of course was a common practice at the time. Many of these served at Kaliscz, where most of the survivors surrendered.

Of the Saxon prisoners who were shipped to Sweden, between 2500 and 3000 (which is probably the large majority) entered Swedish service in a regiment of two battalions and three individual battalions. Some of these fought in Eastern Baltic area and the "Saxon" regiment fought well at Helsingborg. Most of the officers were released after Aldranstadt, but there was a dispute about releasing those officers who were or had been in Russian service.

Sjostrom discusses the massacre of the Russians in his article in the Compendium, as well as his book. He puts the number killed at about 500, quoting an eye witness that they were "slaughtered like lambs." He points out that about 300 Russian prisoners were transported to Sweden.

I don't see a pro Swedish bias in the Compendium, nor an effort to dismiss the Saxons. For examples, The articles on the Saxon army and Kliszow were written by a German and the article on Poniec puts Schulenberg as a very favorable light. No doubt, there are other materials to research on the Saxon army and hopefully someone will do so for an article or more in Volume3!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:02 pm

finally got hold of it at SALUTE (Thanks to Secret Squirrel Toggy) 8)
Only had 2 hours to look at it on Monday as I am now in Finland and heading to India Friday. I am NOT carrying those 2 volumes with me!!!!

Looks very interesting although I read a piece by an English writer in it and thought that was pretty poorly written in English! The facts may have been correct (I am not challenging those) but the writing was very poor. Surprising? or not for an alleged academic!

Anyway, I'll get back to it in a couple of weeks.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Clibinarium
Major
Major

Post by Clibinarium » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:35 pm

I see I'm not the only one who thought so (I hope we are thinking of the same article though). Great books, but yes, some of the English is written in a halting style, like its not the writer's first language (in many cases it will not be) and they haven't quite mastered English "flow", or its been translated into English and not finessed enough by the translator.
A very minor issue, not spoiling my enjoyment.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:07 am

Alas this writer's first language was English :shock:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford