UPDATE ON ULB V

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

UPDATE ON ULB V

Post by barr7430 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:53 pm

I know some of you may be thinking that ULB V is a figment of my imagination but Clarence and I have been working very hard on it behind the scenes.

As some proof of life I have uploaded one of the new photos from the GNW supplementary section of ULB to show you our progress. The main text of the rules is finished and formated. We have already included thirty full colour photos never before seen on the site with space for another 15 in the main body of the rules. This will be supplemented by at least an equivalent number in the other sections. We will upload a taster version in the WARCHEST very soon. Clarence has also completed wonderful cover art and pencil drawings for the inside of the book.
So, were definitely more than half way there. All the photos are of high quality of at least the standard of the newly posted GNW pic.

Hope you like it and that you can wait just a little longer 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Spiraluk
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Spiraluk » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:06 pm

Thats great news Barry. Glad to hear your going to do the GNW as part of the rules. Is it too early to talk about a time scale?
Bill T

"Here to add tone to an otherwise vulgar brawl"
www.musketeer-miniatures.com
Bluebear
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Bluebear » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:07 pm

Barry,

Could you please post a link (or at least directions) to the location of this photo? After all, it isn't like you don't have hundreds of photos posted for us to look through.

-- Jeff
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:11 pm

Not at all Bill....

timescale is definitely a matter of weeks rather than months. I guess six or seven.

JEFF: THE PICTURE IS THE NEWEST ONE ON THE HOMEPAGE - Also in Gallery:GNW:Swedish Units :wink:

Henry Ford
Spiraluk

Post by Spiraluk » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:30 pm

Great stuff. I'll have started the Swedish Cavalry by then :D
Bill T

quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:30 am

We are nearly there! As Barry mentioned, the rules section is basically formated and in need of only a few more photos and a pile of scribbling from me. The uniform guide is basically planned out, with only a few details and some drawings to do.

Believe me, I am as anxious to show the project off as you are to see it! The cover art will be unveiled soon and a short teaser will be out as well. This book will contain an amazing catalog of Barry's collection and should serve as a great resource for the period wether you play games using the rules or not!
Bluebear
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Bluebear » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:25 am

Barry, Clarence,

Any idea as to our cost yet?

-- Jeff
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:05 pm

Not being coy about Jeff but no definite price yet. I honestly don't think it'll break the bank for anyone wishing to purchase. Perhaps somewhere in the region of £10 Sterling but don't hold me to that. This is the equivalent currently of about 8 x 28mm minis.

We know that we are taking a bit of chance but here are the choices facing us:

1. Do the book with no compromises(full colour, loadsa illos, pictures and maps etc) get it printed in a run of about 500... up front investment which is significant. RISK: don't shift enough copies, left with a load of big books and nowhere to store 'em. Upside: no potential copyright violations.

2. Compromise on size and quality and get printed cheaper(thus minimising all stated risks) seems like a poor option.. the coward's way!

3. Do as 1. above but make a PDF for online distribution: UPSIDE: minimise most financial outlay and storage costs. RISK: Copyright infringment as less scrupulous owners of the PDF pass it on to friends at no charge thus undermining everything we've tried to achieve.

We are currently trying to work around the inherent problems in option 3 above right now whilst still sticking to an issuing deadline of around Easter this year. :D

Henry Ford
Marcus Maximus

Post by Marcus Maximus » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:22 pm

Hi Barrie,

I have been lurking for a lonnnnggg time, but have thoroughly enjoyed the pictures and the quality of discussions on the board. The ULB is a sound set of rules and well researched, and shows a tremendous amount of hard work and effort. Point 3 could be really bad for morale if unscrupulous fellows made of with the IP and sold it in different guises.

May i suggest a fourth point - do what Henry Hyde did with Battlegames - and the same Ret. Bill gray Age of Eagles - a case of getting initial subscribers (with fee) to kick off the funds required to go for point 1. I am more than happy to fork out £10 - £20 for ULB if it is going to be of similar quality to AoE, The Liberators, Battlegames etc - and to boost the awareness campaign hwo about a round of games using ULB full colour photos and game map, units and descrption of battle in the likes of Battlegames wargames Illustrated etc - end piece being you can subscribe / pay for your copy of ULB at XXXX.

I wish you luck and I have my dosh awaitng your call to pay!

:)
Theo Raykoske
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Theo Raykoske » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:46 pm

Dear Barry et Clarence,

I'd go for option 4 certainly. I hate downloading stuff that NEEDS to be neat and prescise and even more so when it depends on colour accuracy, too. I'd prefer to pay out for decent print job which can then be oggled at my leisure! So, my vote is cast! I will certainly subscribe up front.

Theo :P
londonjock
Private
Private

Post by londonjock » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:13 pm

I'm for option 4 as well - a tenner or so for a set I can flash round the club to heighten interest would be dosh well spent.
quindia
General
General

ULB Teaser

Post by quindia » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:55 pm

Just the briefest glimps at what's coming up:

V5 really does exist! Soon there will be a full size PDF preview in the warchest section, but we thought you should see something! The bulk of the rule section is finished minus a few photos and drawings. We still have the scenarios section, uniform and flag guide, sample army lists, and a fully detailed battle report that will serve as a full example of the rule mechanics and turn sequence.

There is still no decision on what format this will end up in, but we are exploring all of the options...
Spiraluk

Post by Spiraluk » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:36 pm

That looks really great Clarence. Can't wait! :D
Bill T

big-gazza
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Location: Married with Children........in Strathaven, Scotland.

Post by big-gazza » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:01 pm

Hi,
very nice Clarence. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Gazza
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:51 am

Barry, Clarence

My vote for route 4 as well. Just to say a huge thanks to both of you for all the hard work. Clarence, the "brief glimpse" looks magnificent - really looking forward to seeing the Warchest pdfs.

All the best

Adam