Garde Francaises WSS

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Khurasanminiatures

Garde Francaises WSS

Post by Khurasanminiatures » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:24 pm

Fairly technical question as my first post here, hope that's alright.

I make a range of large 15mm figurines for the WSS and now that the basic building blocks are available I'm going back and making more select stuff. For instance we've made command for the non-Austrian cuirassiers and also made the first batch of French dragoons.

Next thing I'd like to make is French foot guards. Think it's just a matter of adding lace to the fusiliers, grenadiers and infantry command. (Do the garde grenadiers also wear the tricorne or did they have special headwear?)

The problem is finding the right lace.

As "clibinarium" has helpfully pointed out, there are two sources on this he's aware of -- Giffart (1696) and then post-Louis XIV (Parrocel, 1718). Too early, then too late!

For the rankers they match up pretty well except for the cuffs. Earlier on they have no lace, later they do. (Funcken shows Parrocel but that's natural as they focus on Louis XV.)

Anyone know if the WSS period guards had the cuff lace or not?

Also would the officer coat lace in the WSS be the same as shown in Giffart? It's rather strange that the non-coms have a completely unadorned coat.

Thanks for any assistance!
lee sherman
Captain
Captain

Re: Garde Francaises WSS

Post by lee sherman » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:27 pm

Hi I think the uniform wouldn't have changed that much from 1696-1700 the rank troops probably lost their shoulder ribbons by 1700 but apart from that it would be the same also the webbing changed from shoulder strapped cartridge pouch to just a waist belt with sword bayonet and cartrage pouch attached

Lee